Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
NM6L

Name: NM6L
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Rough idle :(

Hey all, its been a while since ive been on the site.. I just got back from a hunting trip and noticed the truck had a bit of a rough idle. Now its getting worse and on the take off it kinda lags, When i get into overdrive it sputters kinda like its hickuping.. Two codes came up P0275 and P0560 but i cant find them or anyone who knows what they are!! any help guys im all ears..

Thanks Gene.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
joshgilvin34

Name: joshgilvin34
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
p0275 is cylinder #5 contribution/ balance. meaning that injector is probably not working at all.

p0560 is system voltage. here is the exact meaning :

Circuit Function
With the ignition switch in the START or RUN position, voltage is applied to the coil of the powertrain control module (PCM) relay. The applied voltage energizes the relay and closes the internal relay contacts. With the relay contacts closed, vehicle power (VPWR) is supplied to the PCM.

Fault Detection
Vehicle power is monitored by the PCM. When the voltage is above or below a pre-calibrated value, an internal counter increments until a DTC is set.

NOTICE: The PCM harness connectors must be properly seated and the connector latch properly attached to eliminate possible driveability concerns or a no start condition. Installing the PCM connectors on an angle may cause an improper connection, misdiagnosis, and damaged components. Install the connector until the lever pivots and seats itself. Apply light pressure to get the connector into position on the PCM and then fully seat the connector.

Note: Visually inspect the harness connectors for corrosion, damage, proper mating, and correct pin tension.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
BC06PSD

Name: BC06PSD
Title: Hairless Cat Aficionado
Member`s Gallery
When's the last time you changed your oil?
MBRP
Quad Commander

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
NM6L

Member`s Gallery
I just changed it last friday i thought it might have something to do with that as well but it didn't make any difference.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
joshgilvin34

Member`s Gallery
i hate to tell ya man but i think you just have a dead injector.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Dalpilot

Name: Dalpilot
Title: Joe Nobody!
Member`s Gallery
Number 5 is dead. Its an easy swap just takes time. You can do it.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Charles

Name: Charles
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalpilot View Post
Number 5 is dead. Its an easy swap just takes time. You can do it.
As long as you can source a good injector to replace it with.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
joshgilvin34

Member`s Gallery
dealers usually are a good source to replace them with

Old 11-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #9
NM6L

Member`s Gallery
Alright that doesn't sound to hard its just under the valve covers.. now the p0560 code wouldnt have anything to do with it right??

Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
NM6L

Member`s Gallery
Ok so lookin at it from the bumper in my number 5 will be on the left side third one in right???

Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM6L View Post
Ok so lookin at it from the bumper in my number 5 will be on the left side third one in right???
Why do you suppose that just a single injector would just go bad for no reason? You wouldn't want to replace the entire set?

And if the cylinders are numbered the same as a 7.3, then yes, passenger's side, 3rd from front would be 5.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
NM6L

Member`s Gallery
Hell if i had the money to i would...

Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Hell if i had the money to i would...

You probably will anyway. Unfortunately, not having the money won't make the other 7 work.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
NM6L

Member`s Gallery
Your right if i have to i have to i can't afford to let it sit there.. How do you pull the injectors out ive already got everything out of the way i just don't know how to get them suckers out.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #15
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Your right if i have to i have to i can't afford to let it sit there.. How do you pull the injectors out ive already got everything out of the way i just don't know how to get them suckers out.
I've never done a 6L. I know they have drastically different things going on with the ICP delivery, so I won't speculate. Obviously you'll want to suck the cylinder(s) out to clear them of oil/fuel before you re-install any injectors though. And I also strongly recommend barring the engine over by hand after it's buttoned back up before you attempt to crank it, just to ensure the cylinder is clear and you won't risk a hydro.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
NM6L

Member`s Gallery
Alright ill keep that in mind for sure! Thanks for the help dude.. If anyone else has done it i would greatly appricate the input!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
PSDPlayer

Name: PSDPlayer
Title: Captain Negativity!
Member`s Gallery
If you take the banjo bolt out of the front of the head it will keep fuel from running down into the hole. Use something like a bearing grease to lube the o-rings on assembly. Find a buddy with a torque wrench that has 26ft lbs on it. Replace the high pressure check valve/pipe with the updated version if it doesn't have it. You do not need to remove the icp frome the rail. Valve cover comes off with it in. The valve cover bolts are 12mm NOT 1/2 or 13.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #18
Dalpilot

Name: Dalpilot
Title: Joe Nobody!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why do you suppose that just a single injector would just go bad for no reason? You wouldn't want to replace the entire set?

And if the cylinders are numbered the same as a 7.3, then yes, passenger's side, 3rd from front would be 5.
I have had single injectors go out before Charles. Unfortunately, the 6.0 injectors are a little different animal then the 7.3. They are notoriously bad at single failures, out of the blue. When I towed out to California, I overheated my trucks cooling system once trying to go too fast up a big hill. It got hot. I pulled over and let it cool, and it coughed, idled funny, then smoothed out clear as can be. Best it had ever run after that for about 5 months. No miss, nothing. These things need to get hot apparently to cler the sludge out of them.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
!!!PainTrain!!!

Name: !!!PainTrain!!!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalpilot View Post
I have had single injectors go out before Charles. Unfortunately, the 6.0 injectors are a little different animal then the 7.3. They are notoriously bad at single failures, out of the blue. When I towed out to California, I overheated my trucks cooling system once trying to go too fast up a big hill. It got hot. I pulled over and let it cool, and it coughed, idled funny, then smoothed out clear as can be. Best it had ever run after that for about 5 months. No miss, nothing. These things need to get hot apparently to cler the sludge out of them.
Funny you should say that. That harder I run mine the better it seems to run. Well until something else breaks that is lol.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Somebody help this guy out...

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1485709696.html

He apparently missed out on all the koolaid the rest of you got served when you signed the papers.

Closed Thread