Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #21
rjustman

Name: rjustman
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
What’s the fix for that? Little filing?

Old 10-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #22
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Is it possible to fix leak by on the gates?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #23
crackerman

Name: crackerman
Member`s Gallery
Well, take turbine housing apart, see if pucks are sealing on the ports, if not, find out why. Make modifications as necessary

Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 PM   #24
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
I know this sounds dumb but how will I know if it’s leaking? Will there be marks? Do I fill it with liquid and see if it leaks? I plan to put air to it to see when it starts moving also. Another thing I’m wondering. Could it possibly be wrong injectors? I put brand new S&S injectors in about 2 years ago. I e only driven MAYBE 3000 miles on them. But I’ve been righting egt problems ever since. Is it remotely possible with a company like S&S that maybe I got late mode 5.9 injectors instead of the 03-04 bowl? I know I’d have to pull one and try to count holes. But has that every happen to anyone that you’ve heard of? They were dropped shipped directly from S&S. Ordered through hardway from a local dealer.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #25
SPEEDSHIFT

Name: SPEEDSHIFT
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustman View Post
I know this sounds dumb but how will I know if it’s leaking? Will there be marks? Do I fill it with liquid and see if it leaks? I plan to put air to it to see when it starts moving also. Another thing I’m wondering. Could it possibly be wrong injectors? I put brand new S&S injectors in about 2 years ago. I e only driven MAYBE 3000 miles on them. But I’ve been righting egt problems ever since. Is it remotely possible with a company like S&S that maybe I got late mode 5.9 injectors instead of the 03-04 bowl? I know I’d have to pull one and try to count holes. But has that every happen to anyone that you’ve heard of? They were dropped shipped directly from S&S. Ordered through hardway from a local dealer.
If they are the wrong bowl pattern it will haze at idle and smoke cruising down the highway.

I would pull the charger off and take a look at the turbine wheel. With 4.30 gears and stock sized tires, what kind of RPM are you running at 70mph?
2013 3500 4x4 Aisin Dually Tow Rig

Tenacity Tuning, Longs Machine Shop, BD Diesel Performance

Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #26
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
At 70 I’m about 2200

Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #27
khaoskustoms

Name: khaoskustoms
Member`s Gallery
Can you confirm from S&S what injector spray pattern you have? I had a truck that had the late 5.9 injectors with the early piston bowls. Similar symptom where egt's were always higher then I thought they should have been. Went to the proper pray pattern injector and the truck was completely different. Throttle response was better, egt's came down and boost went up.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #28
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
According to vendor they were billed for early spray pattern. I haven’t actually pulled them to verify, even if I did because it’s been so long doubt I’ll get anything done

Old 10-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #29
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
i dont see what the big idea is on the heat..

i cruise 70@ 900-1100* empty and i can peg the pyro @ 1700 with just 60 overs at 3000 u.s.

also with those gears shouldnt the truck be lighter on its feet?
H-Town Off-Road

Old 10-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #30
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Should be yes.. and you wouldn’t sustain 1700 on a steep grade grossing 24-26k would you? I’m maxing out at 20-25 psi on my turbo and my egts get up there and stay up there.they don’t come down

Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #31
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
Funny thing that’s commonly overlooked is the thermocouple reading your EGT temp. I checked the temp of my exhaust manifold two days ago on my 12v with a Fluke temp gun after pulling a gross weight of 32k. Temp gun showed 425* at the probe location, EGT gauge showed 300*.

Might do a simple check to rule out the thermocouple or gauge.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #32
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
What total boost psi will it reach on a decent pull? Empty no trailer

Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #33
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Funny thing that’s commonly overlooked is the thermocouple reading your EGT temp. I checked the temp of my exhaust manifold two days ago on my 12v with a Fluke temp gun after pulling a gross weight of 32k. Temp gun showed 425* at the probe location, EGT gauge showed 300*.

Might do a simple check to rule out the thermocouple or gauge.

I’ll try that. I just recently changed the thermocouple because it was sticking at 450-500 for a bit. Changed it and problem went away but still reading same egts as last one was.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #34
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
What total boost psi will it reach on a decent pull? Empty no trailer
20 psi. If I dig into it from zero to as fast as she’ll go. On an on-ramp, flat ground , it don’t matter.20 psi it MIGHT float to 22-23 but comes back to 20 right away. And when torque converter locks in OD it drops to about 15-18 tops

Old 10-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #35
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
There's your problem, you have a turbo problem, or a bad boost leak.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #36
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
You should be able to push that charger close to 40psi on your tow tune, something there is not right at all. I bet the trucks a dog?

Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #37
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Gotta be a turbo problem. I just went over the whole system with a boost detector and had a shop do the same. Both yielded zero leaks. Well I had one and it’s now fixed but was very VERY small. Either way gasket was replaced on the intake plenum and now zero leaks that I’ve seen since.. I bought the turbo directly from Weston, put a different turbine housing on it to fit a t3 instead of the t4 I got from him and bolted it in. Just because Weston is a bad ass I’m guessing problem lies in the turbine housing. But I can’t figure it out! I’ve wired the gate shut and still no change in boost OR egts..

Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #38
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Or maybe even a possibility of your gate hung wide open, which would be easy to tell if you pulled the housing and looked.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #39
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjustman View Post
Gotta be a turbo problem. I just went over the whole system with a boost detector and had a shop do the same. Both yielded zero leaks. Well I had one and it’s now fixed but was very VERY small. Either way gasket was replaced on the intake plenum and now zero leaks that I’ve seen since.. I bought the turbo directly from Weston, put a different turbine housing on it to fit a t3 instead of the t4 I got from him and bolted it in. Just because Weston is a bad ass I’m guessing problem lies in the turbine housing. But I can’t figure it out! I’ve wired the gate shut and still no change in boost OR egts..
Something happened after the ex housing change. Look to see if the wheel has made contact. Either way turbo needs to be pulled and looked over.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #40
rjustman

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Or maybe even a possibility of your gate hung wide open, which would be easy to tell if you pulled the housing and looked.
That’s gonna be the next item on the list. I am installing an exhaust brake so when I take elbow off back I’m gonna pull the turbo and take a peak. Bad part is I contacted AGP about the turbine housing. They won’t fix anything, just sell me more parts. Sucks but it is what it is I guess

Y’all are awesome I appreciate all the input. It’s been a long time trying to figure it out. I just assumed since everything was brand new it should just work. But that hasn’t been the case.

Closed Thread