Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
autoferret

Name: autoferret
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
how dumb of a idea is this?

I've been thinking about finding a wrecked or blown up 4x4 to convert my rear wheel drive truck.

Logically one would think that all the parts would bolt up... As long as you found a 03-07 truck to pull what your need from.

Nick

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab LWB, 5.9l HO, 48RE, S&B intake, stright pipe, superchips on economy mod (till i can sell and get a smarty), EGT Boost Trany Temp guages

Old 10-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
The frt axle 4link brackets are welded to the frame, along with other things like the track bar bracket. Anything's possible but in no way a bolt on deal.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
autoferret

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
The frt axle 4link brackets are welded to the frame, along with other things like the track bar bracket. Anything's possible but in no way a bolt on deal.

welding is easy...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab LWB, 5.9l HO, 48RE, S&B intake, stright pipe, superchips on economy mod (till i can sell and get a smarty), EGT Boost Trany Temp guages

Old 10-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
It can be done. Trans would need to be swapped or at least the tail shaft. All the brackets would need torched off and welded on. Shifter for the transfer case mounted to the floor. I think the cross member is the same. It can be done but for the money to buy something then swap it all over, you could just buy another truck that 4x4 already but that's just me.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Last edited by DISTURBED; 10-10-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #5
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
I converted mine to 4wd, but the GM frame / suspension makes it a tad easier. I was WAY ahead on money over just buying a 4wd truck (even with having a harness made for electric shift tcase). I'd say go for it. Manual tcase would be even easier.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Member`s Gallery
how dumb of a idea is this?

A GM 4wd swap would be easier being it’s IFS to IFS. Dodge is IFS to solid axle. To the original question, you had better have a set of factory service manuals to reference dimensions from. Being able to cut off the brackets from the donor frame and weld on to your /we frame will be a chore. If you were making a trail rig, I could see the justification. A daily driven truck or anything of the sort that’s going down the highway, not so much.

Like Disturbed mentioned, find you a 4wd platform and swap your powertrain over. Much easier task to accomplish. And you’ll have all the brackets in the factory location. I’ve done a cab swap on a 3rd gen. It’s a good bit of work but much easier than what you are describing.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
Simplysmn

Name: Simplysmn
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Buddy of mine did it on a 04 and had no problem's turned out Pretty Sweet like you said Welding is EASY . he DD this thing for about 6 yr's and then sold it .

Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
Shawdrainage

Name: Shawdrainage
Title: Shaw
Member`s Gallery
Just takes time and a little work.

If you are close to Ohio, I have a 2006 Hemi parts truck I'd really like to part ways with. (I just needed the motor and rear axle out of it)

Old 10-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
It can be done. Trans would need to be swapped or at least the tail shaft. All the brackets would need torched off and welded on. Shifter for the transfer case mounted to the floor. I think the cross member is the same. It can be done but for the money to buy something then swap it all over, you could just buy another truck that 4x4 already but that's just me.
If he didn't want to mess with a tail section and output shaft, what would be the downside to leaving the T-Case and just not tossing the front driveshaft on? It wouldn't be bad for a two wheel drive low for towing heavy in a parking lot, or going into neutral for towing?

Just added weight.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #10
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
What's the intended ride height?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 10-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
If he didn't want to mess with a tail section and output shaft, what would be the downside to leaving the T-Case and just not tossing the front driveshaft on? It wouldn't be bad for a two wheel drive low for towing heavy in a parking lot, or going into neutral for towing?

Just added weight.
Lost me on that one?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #12
autoferret

Member`s Gallery
What I figured I would do is find a wrecked 03-07 5.9 4x4 with manual transfer case.

pull off all the parts i needed off that truck. rebuild front axle, transfer case, trans. then put it all back together. if i need to CNC new brakets.

I have always wanted 24.5 under my truck but with 24.5 you can not get a low profile tire so i'd need to have the rims machined to 24 to get a tire that would fit with out a huge lift kit.

I know its not going to be easy.

Closed Thread