Transmission Poll

Best tranny

• Total voters
I had no idea BTS or Goerend made a 5R or they would have been on there too. Im almost positive John Wood is only doing 4Rs now. Did I hear that right? Nice to know that you are working on something too, Doug!

my nadp tranny has held everything i can through at it, from what i read on here, suncoast aren't doin to crap hot, nate pooped another suncoast tranny

my nadp tranny has held everything i can through at it, from what i read on here, suncoast aren't doin to crap hot, nate pooped another suncoast tranny

yeah, been through 3 suncoast trannys. I have no problem with their PR, but if their product was made the same way and everything was inspected before shipping, or at least with some tighter eyes, I wouldn't have had these problems. Each trans has had a different issue. No fun.
I just got off the phone with NADP, I'll be going there next! Getting one built up just like you shawn! They sound like an AWESOME company, talked with Craig and he was saying what I wanna hear! Hopefully he builds them the same way!

yeah, been through 3 suncoast trannys. I have no problem with their PR, but if their product was made the same way and everything was inspected before shipping, or at least with some tighter eyes, I wouldn't have had these problems. Each trans has had a different issue. No fun.

Not that this makes your problems any better but all of thier trannys are tested before they go out the door.

As I have said before, I love my suncoast. Sorry you guy had problems with them.

Not that this makes your problems any better but all of thier trannys are tested before they go out the door.

As I have said before, I love my suncoast. Sorry you guy had problems with them.

I know they do... they've tested all 3, but not well enough or something. I've blown EACH one. The last two, one lasted 200 miles (but not really, I just had to limp it home), and the latest less than 50. Completely gone and I luckily rolled into my friends driveway. So testing or no testing, I still have been out of my truck for 8 WEEKS!!!
nate, suncoast isnt doing anything now or are you getting a refund?
Tomorrow my trans comes out, I'm checking the input shaft. If it's broken, they are going to overnight me a new one. There's a possibility they didn't install the billet input. If it isn't broken, I'll be asking for a full refund and heading north.

So, once you install it, how are you training it?

We put close to 20 miles on mine just trying to retrain it to the new shifts and what not.

I drive it close to home since I'm in fear at this point. I drive it regularly, the latest one let go at 2200rpm during my 3-5 shift and I was only cruising at about 60mph.
I don't race it out of the shop or anything, I take it out and around to get it used to the truck, but why should I have to baby it when they've already ramped some power to it before it mated up to my truck. It should be install and go imo

They need time to break in and learn your programming that is specific to your truck Nate. Supposed to run under a certain rpm for so long and etc. Atleast that is what I have been told before.

i understand what you're saying, but I've heard of track side trans swaps and things of the sort. They don't have time to "train" their new unit, so just get into it. If it's built right, it'll run. Maybe I'm a bit harsh on products, but I do it this way and it has seemed to work on everything but this.

Once again, though, Suncoast has been great with me and dealt with this in the best of ways, but at this time, we may be going different ways. I'm glad others have had success, something just has been up with the run of transmissions I've had. Something neither Suncoast or I can explain. Hopefully this is resolved sooner than later. I'll keep you all posted on the details.
And also, I looked into it, my truck has been down since August 2nd. That's 11 weeks, or a bit more shocking to say- 80 days. :bang

Nate. What all was replaced. If the converter came apart. Was the cooler replaced or just fushed the last time the trans was done?

Has the same solenoid body been used again after the other converter came apart?

If so. This may be why you have repeat failures.

Nate. What all was replaced. If the converter came apart. Was the cooler replaced or just fushed the last time the trans was done?
Has the same solenoid body been used again after the other converter came apart?
If so. This may be why you have repeat failures.

Each time I've supposedly received a new transmission. The latest one was from scratch according to them. No parts from other transmissions of mine have been used, now if they were parts from other cores that were bad, I don't know.
The cooler has been heat flushed each time the trans has been replaced, but mind you, there's no real debris that I would see within it, I'm no expert though. The parts that failed were the converter, first time. Second time, it had a transmission leak point, which ended up being a snap ring/something wasn't buttoned up correctly according to Suncoast. This third time the trans just failed in the 3-5 shift and blew apart. Big boom noise, truck shaking, and coasted. So I'm hoping it's simply the input shaft or something of that sort. If it is, Suncoast has said they will send me a new billet unit, since he's not sure if it was overlooked and not added during the build up.
I'll know more tomorrow once it's out of the truck. Pulling the pan for debris and going to check the input.

you sounded pretty pumped about the nadp trans..see how it goes the next couple days. if you need any help just give me a shout

haha thanks Matt. I don't think it is either, I'd be impressed myself, considering I was not on the bottle and only getting into it about 3/4 way. So if it is the stock input that was in there, I'll be thankful. But if it isn't the input, I'll be calling NADP by this afternoon and getting one built up and put on a plane, train, or however it goes from Canada to NJ haha

here's the latest!

Once again, against everyones best thoughts, some how my truck has broken another part that is unknown to break. I wasn't sure myself, but had some hopes as to what could be my latest cause for trans failure. This time, it was the intermediate shaft. Broke it straight in half, 2 pieces, as if I took a hack saw to it! haha
So that was kind of cool, but I really wish it would've stayed in one piece. To add to all this, only one other person broke an intermediate shaft with Suncoast before. So, back then, Ron had a custom billet intermediate shaft built. No one ever needed it, but more so, no one wanted to pay $800 for it. So- guess who has it now! That's right, the only billet intermediate to be made for a 5R110 will be inside of my trans by 5pm tomorrow afternoon. Best part- Suncoast overnighted the part for me AND everything was 100% free!!!

Once again, I can't say enough about how Suncoast has dealt with this WHOLE ordeal! Been amazing every step of the way, and just when I thought it was over, they continued to come through for me!!

so this took a crazy turn and I'll be driving my truck some time tomorrow afternoon! I'm completely ecstatic! It's been a tough journey, but finally I'm getting somewhere! I'm sure I may not be the only one to break the intermediate on a 5R110, but from what I've found, no one else has except for the earlier mentioned customer and NO one makes a billet one except for the one off piece Suncoast has sent me.
I guess the moral of the story is... keep your cool and things will eventually get better. Even if it takes 81 days to get there.

Ron over at Suncoast (well everyone for that matter) is Great. They stand 100% behind the products they sell. If you break it, they fix it better until you cannot break it.

Just an FYI, Tim (Dalpilot) has all billet shafts in his 5R110 for the ranger.

Back