Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
CSM diesel

Name: CSM diesel
Title: Engineer
Member`s Gallery
HE351VE on a 12 valve

This is more of an update thread so to speak...

I have found the flanges to build an adapter for the odd ball he351ve flange to adapt it to a standard T3 flange.

I will use a single acting spring closure air cyl. from an exhaust brake.

Here is a pneumatic schematic for the VGT actuation:

Click the image to open in full size.

The thought process is that the neutral position of the cyl (fully closed by the spring) will hold the veins in their closed position, or slid all the way in (exhaust brake mode.)

This causes concern as the default for the system is fully closed (i.e. exhaust brake mode.) To overcome this a non-relieving adjustable pressure regulator will be in line from the drive pressure port. Drive pressure will hold the air cyl open slightly to the minimum vein position TBD.

From there, as the turbo spools and boost increases, A pressure actuated electric switch (hobbs switch) will close at a TBD boost pressure and activate the three way valve.

This will switch the supply pressure to the air cyl from being the regulated drive pressure to boost pressure.

The vein position will now slide out and open up the volute area as boost pressure increases.

To activate the exhaust brake mode, a two way solenoid valve will be closed allowing the spring in the cyl to close the veins all the way down.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Am I crazy for doing this?

Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
dragnsled

Name: dragnsled
Title: Banned
Member`s Gallery
I would do it simple with a wastegate actuator that holds the vgt closed until boost is applied.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
sdubfid

Name: sdubfid
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery

would something like that work?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
CSM diesel

Member`s Gallery
yea looks like it would!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
CSM diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnsled View Post
I would do it simple with a wastegate actuator that holds the vgt closed until boost is applied.
I have both a wastegate and an air cyl at my disposal. So i will see how it goes.

The problem is that holding it fully closed is like having an exhaust brake on.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
dragnsled

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post

With the actuator in this picture I would make a bracket and mount it going the other direction so it takes air pressure to open and the internal spring makes it close, that way you have an exhaust brake.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
BlackSkyRacing

Name: BlackSkyRacing
Title: Living Under a Rock
Member`s Gallery
I was wondering the same thing myself. But I managed to to get a HE451VeTi which came off of an ISL. What I'm hoping is that the exhaust brake that worked on an 8.9L engine will make for rather quick spool in a 5.9

Also, I don't know if you noticed this, But when the Exhaust housing opens up all the way the piston (or whatever you want to call it) slides about 1/8-3/16ths of an inch past the bottom of the turbine wheel... Knowing I have an enormous exhaust housing meaning I probably won't need to open it all the way; I marked in the travel of the arm where the piston is level with the bottom of the exhaust wheel. After measuring the travel from fully closed to "optimal" open and only coming up with 4.5mm at the little hole in the arm and 10mm at the end of the arm where it's cut for gear teeth; I decided to make a little longer arm. I think there will be a few advantages to this. A normal wastegate actuator should be able to travel it's full throw and not go past "optimal" open (if I do my math right when I make the extension). And the actuator should have better control over the exhaust housing since it wont open it too fast and kill the drive pressure. In fact I'm debating using either drive pressure or boost to run the wastegate actuator

Just thought I'd throw that out there, thoughts? BTW I have some pretty nice pics of the comp wheel and the VGT workings in my other thread http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...540#post613540

08 QCSB 4x4 stock (ish) - 68RFE parts test pig

49 Dodge 2.6 pulling project "Gold Digger"

Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
dragnsled

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post

I just discovered something!!
This is NOT a HE351v!! However the picture in my avatar is getting one before it goes back in the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing View Post
I was wondering the same thing myself. But I managed to to get a HE451VeTi which came off of an ISL. What I'm hoping is that the exhaust brake that worked on an 8.9L engine will make for rather quick spool in a 5.9

Also, I don't know if you noticed this, But when the Exhaust housing opens up all the way the piston (or whatever you want to call it) slides about 1/8-3/16ths of an inch past the bottom of the turbine wheel... Knowing I have an enormous exhaust housing meaning I probably won't need to open it all the way; I marked in the travel of the arm where the piston is level with the bottom of the exhaust wheel. After measuring the travel from fully closed to "optimal" open and only coming up with 4.5mm at the little hole in the arm and 10mm at the end of the arm where it's cut for gear teeth; I decided to make a little longer arm. I think there will be a few advantages to this. A normal wastegate actuator should be able to travel it's full throw and not go past "optimal" open (if I do my math right when I make the extension). And the actuator should have better control over the exhaust housing since it wont open it too fast and kill the drive pressure. In fact I'm debating using either drive pressure or boost to run the wastegate actuator

Just thought I'd throw that out there, thoughts? BTW I have some pretty nice pics of the comp wheel and the VGT workings in my other thread http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...540#post613540

Hey you think like me Boost works better than drive pressure and limiting travel is a must.

Last edited by dragnsled; 02-18-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Hey you think like me Boost works better than drive pressure and limiting travel is a must.
Hahaha, great minds think alike then eh? I still think I'm going to be adding another gauge to the dash to keep an eye on the drive pressure

Old 02-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
dragnsled

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Hahaha, great minds think alike then eh? I still think I'm going to be adding another gauge to the dash to keep an eye on the drive pressure
I used a piece of steel brake line coiled a few times to keep heat out of the plastic boost hose and gauge.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I used a piece of steel brake line coiled a few times to keep heat out of the plastic boost hose and gauge.
I was under the impression that 10ft of copper tubing would work??? Can't remember where, I think in the March Diesel Power they showed a drive pressure gauge install...

Old 02-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
dragnsled

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I was under the impression that 10ft of copper tubing would work??? Can't remember where, I think in the March Diesel Power they showed a drive pressure gauge install...
You should be fine.I only used steel cause it was cheap and I already had a piece at the shop at midnight.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You should be fine.I only used steel cause it was cheap and I already had a piece at the shop at midnight.
I know how that goes... 30 miles from the nearest town with anything to speak of for supplies. Our shop is so cluttered with stuff because "we may need that someday". Funny part is only about 10% of that stuff will ever get used My dad's a pack rat...

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #14
CSM diesel

Member`s Gallery
Back from the DEAD!

It has been a long time since I have made any progress worth noting on this little endeavor.

Here it is on the manifold...

And with the actuator...

And again...

And yet again...

And finally, on the truck...

I have chosen to flip the manifold and mount the turbo as high as possible, I am "going for broke" with this and will be hanging a K31 under it eventually.

I will be hopefully building the exhaust for it this weekend. The discharge pipe is done and the factory intake hooks up to it as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
lorendiesel5.9

Name: lorendiesel5.9
Title: OG Hunnybadger
Member`s Gallery
Why are you going with the he351 ? IMO you won't gain anything cause your not moving more air on the top end over the stock turbo.

97 #12vqclbmafia slipping auto

00 Pete 378 12.7 Detroit 10spd

03 Pete 379 6NZ Caterpillar 18spd

Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
CSM diesel

Member`s Gallery
It is a 60mm turbo. It will move more air than a "stocker." Plus, I live and drive at elevation (6k - 11k feet) and spool-up is my primary concern.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
You will have to let me know how that works for you... I know my 451 using boost to control the housing was a pooch in Colorado Springs at about 6k'. I think for my set up using drive pressure might make it a little less finicky about elevation. But yours having a smaller housing and a more tunable set up should work quite well. I will tell you this VGT stuff is fun, it makes massive low end torque. But I too am definitely considering a K31 or a HT3B

EDIT: Strange enough, my truck ran better going up the Mountain on Gold Camp Road then in town

On a side note, it's not cool when you are working outside and the sirens at NORAD start going off

Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
CSM diesel

Member`s Gallery
I just drove up and over Loveland and Vail passes this weekend. Touched 1200deg a time or two with the hx35 and my fueling.

The rub is going to be finding where to switch over from dive pressure to boost pressure control. Staying at 1:1 boost to drive ratio is paramount.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #19
CSM diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You will have to let me know how that works for you... I know my 451 using boost to control the housing was a pooch in Colorado Springs at about 6k'. I think for my set up using drive pressure might make it a little less finicky about elevation. But yours having a smaller housing and a more tunable set up should work quite well. I will tell you this VGT stuff is fun, it makes massive low end torque. But I too am definitely considering a K31 or a HT3B

EDIT: Strange enough, my truck ran better going up the Mountain on Gold Camp Road then in town

On a side note, it's not cool when you are working outside and the sirens at NORAD start going off

I live at 6k feet. How big are the wheels on the 451? The 351 is 60/60/VGT IIRC.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Trapper

Name: Trapper
Title: Hater
Member`s Gallery
Can you post a pic of your recent set up?

Closed Thread