New engine build Scania DC1601 for our semi truckpuller.

Adaptronic is now thrown into trash and you use Baldur ?
NO NO NO. We still use Adaptronic excusive for our ECU rental fleet on our race and rally engines. The Adaptronic ECU we use it out of production for some time now and still is a question mark how long the name Adaptronic will be there as Haltech took over and no effort is taken on any development.

So we now working on getting the Baldur ECU on the same level as the Adaptronic ECU and think it will be a year or so before we able to do the same more complex things that you will not find in any of the ECU or ECM that we sell. These are only excusive for rental units only.
If you keep the baldur software up to date you know there is an option called custom strategies and a long with a load of other configurations you can make we are able to make the same control set-up as we had on most Adaptronic ECU with the benefit for having more options for data logging like cylinder contribution so you can see what cylinder makes more power and so on.
As for this year we get some fast semi truck motor port teams in and after educating them on how to work the ECM system they really improve very fast getting to understand there engines a lot better also gain control on power delivery as well. It’s not about selling ECM. That’s easy. It’s about delivering what the customer needs and supporting it al do most generally overstep the limits on what the drive line can handle. LOL. Improve on that and restart game. LOL.
I Really like the CAT C17 build and if you not go to stupid as for almost stock on the fuel system it make more power than most think and there is always the option to go Commonrail as well.

Last edited:
Le Mans Truck Race weekend a bit of a disaster.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBeCvWysmXw"]Le mans truck race 2021 team presentation - YouTube[/ame]

All you want and demand is control on things to get things working on the edge close to perfection. Last race weekend before Le mans one of the teams change engines and the fuel system on it was out of balance to put in gently. Lucky I took the fuel system of the old engine getting performance and speed control close to what it was and I did try to make some improvement that’s close to impossible as even a speed difference of 0,3kmh means disqualification on over speeding @ 160kmh max. Small difference in dome shape on piston or combustion chamber will give different torque reaction on fuel and injection timing so you end up overshooting the target or oscillating @ the beginning of speed control and on a semi truck there is a lot of drive line inertia and a over 1100Hp engine that needs to be controlled.

Know how and a good ECU and injection hardware is everything. Disaster @ some France race teams. Total damage 2 cylinder heads a torsion damper and 2 clutches over last weekend. But how?
To start. Injector hardware and please do not kill me for that but most stuff we test on oversized nozzle used on stock injector bodies coming from US is crap and relative low cost so you get what you have pay for. Ones you put them in a race engine other factors on the fuel system come out and play making the fuel system very unstable shooting combustion pressure to the roof cracking the cylinder head damaging torsion damper and not to forget the clutch as well. Also negative effect is due to inconstant close and opening time from the injectors the control fuel or return fuel used to open the injectors shoots to the roof as well making the hi pressure fuelpump unable to keep up with fuel demand. In total we find out you lose about 20% fuel flow on these injectors and still get smoke from the engine not even running them close to lambda1 like we do. But must say building a good older type injector that able to handle 700mg/stroke based on a stock injector body is a balancing act from last generation mall hole EDM and plasma cutting the flow service around the nozzle holes to setting up needle lift along with some set-up changes to the injector valve gets you close to last generation injectors but internal leaks on older type of injector we are unable to reduce. Positive of having some injector leak on these injectors that it’s a lot easier to drop fuel pressure fast without having to dump fuel with a post injection like we have to do with the so called leak free injectors. With these injectors the fuel pressure dos not drop even after shutting off the engine and even under normal operation we still get some return fuel from these injectors as we still need a pressure drop on the injector to open the injector by pressure differential over the needle on the nozzle but return fuel is s lot less therefore more accurate in operation as for more consistent injector opening and closing time even on the big injectors used today on some truck and industrial engines still meeting emission standards with a bit help of exhaust fluid that some call adblue.

As for a ECU or ECM. Well that’s all about set-up for the most part having the option to set filters on many thing from fuel pressure to RPM sensing. ADC minimal 16Bit will help as well and consistent loop speed is a must. Staggering that on some aftermarket ECU we where able to calculate error to data given on specification where from some RPM onward things run out of sync popping up in data logs that could be hard to explain otherwise.

Well finally some positive thing as well. Cummins QSX15 Commonrail running with bit over 2 bar boost pressure on a big HX83 turbo making easy 12 to 1300Hp on stock injectors and upgraded fuelpump. Have no number on lambda but to my surprise pulling well so maybe first time lucky.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h28u4M1O5A"]Daf semi truck puller with QSX15 engine on test day making good power - YouTube[/ame]

Happy customer sending this by Whatsapp.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfz649C4StA"]CAT C15 running on our DID1 CAT ECM. All you need is there to go fast. - YouTube[/ame]

Good one for today Truck Racing.

My D26E6 engines took pole with 1e and 2e place on the grid. Race one 1e and 2e place. Race 2 1e and 4 place. So yes I’m happy today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1DSVZKtNNU"]BARC LIVE | Race Show | Pembrey | October 9 2021 - YouTube[/ame]

Data analysis of a Semi Truck Race engine FIA European truck race.

Data on performance is based on theoretical calculations. This is how we find out if there is still performance left or we see a problem coming up like coolant temp or oil pressure or other fault indication.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebSfmslSMc"]Data analysis of a Semi Truck Race engine FIA European truck race - YouTube[/ame]

DID1 diesel ECU Custom Strategies. Together with Baldur we are extending the options on what this diesel ECU can do and the Custom Strategies allow us to create specific function for more demanding diesel projects.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfSBcM5r7p4"]DID1 diesel ECU Custom Strategies. - YouTube[/ame]

First start-up of a 4 cylinder Cummins QSB or ISX on a DID1 ECU test system.

Need some fine tuning still but start and runs so the rest for later.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbKZajBdC_A"]First start-up of a 4 cylinder Cummins QSB or ISX on a DID1 ECU test system - YouTube[/ame]

This weekend Truck Racing.

So far 2x 1e place Ryan Smith going well back on top in the Championship now.

Also granulations to Willem Beerdijk 1e place second race.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apP3wNgJJZI"]BARC LIVE | Race Show | Brands Hatch | November 6 2021 - YouTube[/ame]

How is the work for the N14 setup coming along?

Foresee any issues with any of the sensors the relatively low tech N14 uses being compatible with the DID1?

How is the work for the N14 setup coming along?

Foresee any issues with any of the sensors the relatively low tech N14 uses being compatible with the DID1?
Think form my end N14 off dropped of the things to do list as we work only on the Cummins ISG and QSX. From the older type of engines the CAT C series is still hot so development on that DID1 ECM is still done and for some applications we have to put the power down and get more control on torque settings so we get in to new things as well supporting these customers discovering what needed to go fast. Its all about team work getting over loads of data.

Leaders and followers. The things we do can look so easy and there are always company’s or people with a professional hobby trying to copy or follow for there own benefit and I can say I don’t mind have plenty of work but also know for the most part you as a customer will not get any better dealing with these people.
Some play around with SOLIDWORKS and others try to sell ECU or ECM. Well for both of them to be successful you need to go over a ton a data. Have some idea on where you are going with things and again confirm it with a ton of data and not to forget the feedback as well on the things you do and translate these over to improvement.
Most of the things we know we get to know from things in real live on a every day jobs charring this with every day professionals working together translating this know how in to motor sport applications where we can. You will be surprised how limited know how is in motor sport starting making special parts while these parts are random for sale on industrial applications for example. Also performance by efficiency. Think twice before you go special on parts and things.
Hard work as well. All weekend going over data from Smith Trucksport as we want to win and @ the same time going online making changes to the ECU settings on a Dakar rally truck in the desert of Morocco that’s all in a days work. Do your work like a hobby otherwise you will not get the job done.

360.jpg

Volvo Ny Titan. The team fitted a new bigger intercooler making a good improvement as before the Lambda or AFR line was going lean or less o2 on hi boost low 13 AFR and now we have o2 left running 15.8AFR so we can add fuel to go to Lambda 1 not only making more power but we hope more boost as well so it all ads up making steps.
This Volvo Commonrail engine is last generation stuff . Euro6 or Stage5 emission standard but why is this important? These 750Hp engines are very efficient and already come with big injectors that we modify and same goes for hi pressure fuel pump capacity that we changed by only the camshaft and get 33% more fuel out of it.
AFR and the EGT chance as a result to it are massive, same goes for power delivery and this is what we want as we know the engine is performing well and good thing is it dos not smoke.
On the race engines we build if we see smoke the race driver is already reporting on the radio to the race engineer I’m down on power.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBEv_UnvIs"]Volvo van Dijk Ny Titan indoor Assen Truck Pulling run 1 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRg7uSs46s"]Volvo van Dijk Ny Titan indoor Assen Truck Pulling run 2 - YouTube[/ame]

We have done it. Congratulations to team Smith TruckSport for winning the British A division Truck Race championship with a non factory race engine.

Was not an easy year blowing up an engine half way during the year but did not put the massive power down on the D26E6A+ race engine. I was confident on the engine set-up and together with the team start working really hard improving things around the engine confirming running conditions as the team sent me data over from the engine for evaluation.

Also many thanks to a load of people and companies in the UK willing to help me out in support to truck race. Truck racing @ any level is team sport and races are won and lost starting off track with the finish on track. We are all in it and hope I can support the teams on there plans to go ahead with the progress offering alternatives for engines and engine management systems.

Up to next year.

360.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZnoqdM223s"]Congratulations to team Smith TruckSport for winning the British A division Truck Race championship - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ORasCbYqQ"]BARC LIVE | Race Show | Brands Hatch | November 7 2021 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Last week I visited the Professional MotorSport world expo.

We are always on the lookout for new things like E motors and drives for our Smesh-E-Axle - POWERFUL EFFICIENCY. project.
Parallel to this it also interesting to see what ECU manufacturers are offering and some of the mid en hi end ECU now also have open program structure were you are able to write your own control strategy. I think the main accelerator behind this is hybrid applications in combination with E drive systems that are relative new to this marked.

I have a industrial background and yes I’m involved in motorsport but my way of working and thinking is industrial engineering so some of the process are different. Lets call it a different mind set pointing to wards development as in contrast to a race engineer probably is more use to using the tools he or she gets to get the job done and my jobs is to build these tools in house where we can. On most industrial projects I have done there is nothing to compare to so you start from zero and this industrial workspace offers you the tools manly PLC systems to progress and develop your project as automotive hardware is more defined monkey see monkey do and you can not get any better that what for sale on options. Bit limited I would say. Also an ECU manufacturer is no expert on specific hardware build that’s needs to be run by a ECU. You can ask for specific functions but question is do they really understand and as your still dependant on this manufacturer to get your job done. I would say not ideal.

Now here it gets interesting as developer meets developer with a different background. Any day of the week I’m able to program any function. So if I see a function that an ECU has to offer I’m able to copy and improve with a 3 step system. 1e Write the control strategy for it. 2e make sure things can be adjusted properly. 3e Make sure the function is able to log parameters so progress can me made by evaluating data.
Than the thing is how do you know and where to start? Well practice dos the job. If you go to the gym and work out your muscles after some time become stronger and lifting weight will become easy. The same thing goes for your brain as well.
Now for the interesting part. Most mid en hi end ECU manufacturers offer extra function @ a extra cost. Mainly data logging and data acquisition software. Question is do I need this? For the most part no. Data logging is a ? mark. Can be more cost efficient to put this data on the cambus and use an external data logger if they let you do this that is. Than for data acquisition software. They ask what do you use??? As longs as the data format is CSV there is plenty of free data acquisition software that dos the job just as well so we use or build if needed these functions our self and educate our customers how to use it.

controls.is MPC1 can interface. For next year we going to use this unit on our race trucks build. So what dos it do? We are going to use the 2 canbus lines to move data from one bus to the other between the different ECU/VCU and data loggers. The race organisation has it’s own data logger with live data to race control but also transmit data by can on a open bus.
Next to this we have a Stack data logger that’s easy overloaded by data so parallel we going to use a AIM PDM32 that’s also has a data logger but also transmit things like break temperature engine parameters like RPM and engine temp and so on by can as well to the Stack data logger. Than the engine ECU has a datalogger inside as well and same goes for the MPC1 can unit that has 8 GB On board data logging memory Capable of recording data at up to 1000Hz and offers analog and digital inputs as well as aux outputs an this all can be controlled with custom strategy. Youtube link will give more information on this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHVNS665VFI&t=934s"]Custom strategies walk through - YouTube[/ame]

Last Shake Down Dakarspeed 17/10/2021. ready for the Dakar Rally I would say.
TCM or transmission controller dos a better job now to handle the massive power of the Scania engine. It’s a 6 speed AT but first gear is not used and even 2e and 3e gear it’s very hard for the AT to make these fast gear shifts to keep up with engine RPM.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3uwasSJtyc"]Shake Down Dakarspeed 17/10/2021 - YouTube[/ame]

All in a days work. same engine as the DD13 I think

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_rVdquVtM"]Load test a Mercedes OM470 or OM471LA on our diesel engine ECU test system - YouTube[/ame]

Noting comes easy with top sport. Hard work and never give up is the story behind success.
We build the fastest engines and it all looks so easy but real thing is we need to set a very hi standard and keep it there together with the teams we support.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYBIvJt9UvY"]Hes Won It Six Times! | Northside Chat With RYAN SMITH - YouTube[/ame]

I think still the most epic looking Scania powered International Rally Truck.

Upgrades to the engine this year. Not a lot. Inconel exhaust system and a bigger downpipe and silencer to reduce backpressure. Last year exhaust system was a compromise with the team as for having no space to fit these parts and result is lower boost pressure as the ECU reads exhaust manifold pressure and reduces boost pressure as a result.

https://www.facebook.com/martinmacikjr/videos/1339707366483717/

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

For next year ongoing build of D26A6 race engines and yes we have the order in to build one more massive power house D26E6A+ engine able to run over 6000Nm of toque. Big fuelpump and loads of modifications needed to support this fuel system. On engines like this we have to work as a combined team between companies to get these special parts.
Also to some this may sound strange is what you do and don’t do on modifications. Changes that we make on engines parts like cylinder head are very small but have a large impact on performance.

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

I think still the most epic looking Scania powered International Rally Truck.

Upgrades to the engine this year. Not a lot. Inconel exhaust system and a bigger downpipe and silencer to reduce backpressure. Last year exhaust system was a compromise with the team as for having no space to fit these parts and result is lower boost pressure as the ECU reads exhaust manifold pressure and reduces boost pressure as a result.

https://www.facebook.com/martinmacikjr/videos/1339707366483717/

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

For next year ongoing build of D26A6 race engines and yes we have the order in to build one more massive power house D26E6A+ engine able to run over 6000Nm of toque. Big fuelpump and loads of modifications needed to support this fuel system. On engines like this we have to work as a combined team between companies to get these special parts.
Also to some this may sound strange is what you do and don’t do on modifications. Changes that we make on engines parts like cylinder head are very small but have a large impact on performance.

360.jpg

360.jpg

360.jpg

Back