8.3L Cummins Transplant

4x4dually

You knew it was coming....so here's my "pseudo build" thread. Not much building going on but more of a "find all the parts I need and help me get it going" thread.

Got her home last night. Kid works for John Deere heavy equipment in OKC and was going to put it into a F2fiddy....um....what? LOL

Got a bead on a power steering pump/air compressor combo and gonna need the fan and brackets and possibly a tensioner. Lots of little things I want to go through before stabbing it. Gonna take me a while.

First things first....getting it on a stand. Found out a buddy has a large stand made from one of those rotating combine final drives a few miles away. SCORE!

Anyone have the mounting bracket dimensions and screw thread sizes handy so I can get it mounted up?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oil was decently clean, low, but clean. At least it didn't have water in it like the Detroit so that's a plus.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5080.jpg
    IMG_5080.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5084.jpg
    IMG_5084.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5086.jpg
    IMG_5086.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
8.3 are great motors. My neighbor has a 8.3 in his pulling tractor just shy of 2500 HP... anyways back on track. He has a fan, brackets and pile of other stuff, if you want I'll ask what he wants for it..

8.3 are great motors. My neighbor has a 8.3 in his pulling tractor just shy of 2500 HP... anyways back on track. He has a fan, brackets and pile of other stuff, if you want I'll ask what he wants for it..

I'd be much thankful if you see what he has. Not sure what all I'll need, but I know it will be a bunch of bolt on junk that he probably took off for the puller. I think the mechanical lift pump might be schidt. This dude had it bypassed and was running an electric pump when he had it fired up on a stand. If he has a lift pump I'd be interested in that as well.

600 said he might have some stuff laying around as well.

10 4. I'd be willing to bet if you get a list together of what all you need over time here, he'll have most of it he's got two spare complete motors. I'll see him today and ask him.

10 4. I'd be willing to bet if you get a list together of what all you need over time here, he'll have most of it he's got two spare complete motors. I'll see him today and ask him.

Gracias, Amigo.

I have a manual you can borrow. Look at that tag and tell me what year it is.

I'll have to confirm tonight, but his listing said 2006. I don't see a date on either of the tags I have pictures of here with me.

They will be greasy...they can't possibly stick. LOL

I won't mind it hazin' a just tad if it hauls ass. Little class 6 truck only weighs #14,600 empty. I can probably shave another #500 off by losing a chit-ton of extra crap someone has put on it that won't ever be used...such as 2 extra sets of hyd lines to the rear, auger and spinner controls, etc. Most likely I'll have a pile of extra parts I'll list when done and hopefully someone needs a 8.2L Detroit boat anchor for parts.

I sure don't have much of anything that is worth anything to anyone as far as trading is concerned....but I do need a compressor, power steering pump, fan assembly, and probably a new lift pump.

One questions though, if I was to non-intercool this dude, is it better to hard pipe the intake to the turbo, hard elbows with flex between them, or just a big flex pipe? I sure wish the turbo was setting 180 on this thing. The inlet is facing backwards the exhaust housing is facing forwards. If I spin it, I'll have to redo the oil feed/outlet and the boost tube to the IP.

Last edited:
Is the bell housing the correct size? I think Chris has a medium duty truck manifold. He should sell it to me for $25 shipped and I'll swap it for manifold you have. :hehe::hehe:

I have some compressors with steering pumps, I should see if I can determine condition.

Need to know center of crank to center of fan distance that you need, and any left or right offset.

Last edited:
Back