Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Worstenemy453

Name: Worstenemy453
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
700+ HP Cummins Build. 94-98 12 Valve. Help

I am a Powerstroke guy. But for what i want to do at this point in my life, i cant build a 7.3 the way i want.

Looking to build a 94-98 12 Valve, i dont want to deal with electronics for my swap which is why this was chosen. Motor will be going in a F100 or F150. Trans will be a manual, just not sure whether sticking with a Dodge trans or a Ford trans.

Truck will be driven in the rain, snow and stuff. ( not riding my streetbike in whether ). Truck will be raced every now and then.

Now i know what i need to do driveline wise and all that. I have never looked at a Cummins, never reasearched them. Dont know where to start. I need to know exactly what it will take and what i will need to reach 700 HP and be reliable. Most likely will do twins for driveability but not opposed to a single bigger charger.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
97 D-Tec

Name: 97 D-Tec
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worstenemy453 View Post
I am a Powerstroke guy. But for what i want to do at this point in my life, i cant build a 7.3 the way i want.

Looking to build a 94-98 12 Valve, i dont want to deal with electronics for my swap which is why this was chosen. Motor will be going in a F100 or F150. Trans will be a manual, just not sure whether sticking with a Dodge trans or a Ford trans.

Truck will be driven in the rain, snow and stuff. ( not riding my streetbike in whether ). Truck will be raced every now and then.

Now i know what i need to do driveline wise and all that. I have never looked at a Cummins, never reasearched them. Dont know where to start. I need to know exactly what it will take and what i will need to reach 700 HP and be reliable. Most likely will do twins for driveability but not opposed to a single bigger charger.
Theres so many ways to reach that number so many people will give you all sorts of parts lists and the combs probably all work.

Just a few questions that might help others who are in that 700 hp range:

Have you found a motor yet if you have has someone modified the pump already or fixed the killer dowel pin issue? Do you have someone to help you tune the injection pump? Is this going to be fuel only or is spray a possibility? Are you going to do any towing?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Worstenemy453

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 D-Tec View Post
Theres so many ways to reach that number so many people will give you all sorts of parts lists and the combs probably all work.

Just a few questions that might help others who are in that 700 hp range:

Have you found a motor yet if you have has someone modified the pump already or fixed the killer dowel pin issue? Do you have someone to help you tune the injection pump? Is this going to be fuel only or is spray a possibility? Are you going to do any towing?
I am going to grab a motor from pick a part and start there. So im guessing the answers to the pump and KDP will be no. Motor will be cleaned up, ill grab a rebuild kit and rebuild it, then start doing what i need to.

I dont have someone to help tune the pump YET.

700 will be fuel only.

I might tow occansionaly. Nothing more than 10K lbs or so.

And i dont really care what combo i go with, i need someone to throw me a combo that will definitely get me there, and then i need to know EXACTLY what ill need. Will i need rods, a modded pump, i need to know everything.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
01silver bullet

Name: 01silver bullet
Title: Washed up
Member`s Gallery
Where you located?

Siskiyou Diesel Performance

Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
01silver bullet

Name: 01silver bullet
Title: Washed up
Member`s Gallery
Something is a little weird here...
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=108510

Siskiyou Diesel Performance

Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Worstenemy453

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01silver bullet View Post
Where you located?
King George, Va.

Quote:
Well holy crap. lol. I actually got the idea from Wide Open Performance's Lightning. I was planning a 7.3 but i didnt like the $15K in parts for the motor.

Mine wont be a race truck though, i might take it down the track once in a while here local. I am a Powerstrokenation.com member, then i joined Cummins Forum and they told me to come here so here i am. My truck will have an old school feel though. My truck will be 79 or older.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Worstenemy453

Member`s Gallery
I most likely wont be running 4x4 either.

But i need help with where to start with the cummins build. I dont know a damn thing about them. I need to know the minimum at least.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Injectors, pump, and a whole lot of Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Worstenemy453

Member`s Gallery
yes. Thank you, injectors, pump, turbo and stuff. That is obvious.

I need more detail. IS a S471 too big, is a 38r too small, 7 hole or 5 hole, what size hole. I need details on this.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
cumminstexas

Name: cumminstexas
Title: GFY
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
funny i had the exact same thought!
Hightech Turbos
Suncoast
BD
Airdog

Thanks to Diesel Performance outfitters of Texas for bringing it all together.
706/1401 on 3/1/11

Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
01smoker

Name: 01smoker
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Have you tried searching? This has been asked before. Lots of info on this site.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
AHall

Name: AHall
Title: Hobbyist
Member`s Gallery
He351cw external wastegate box s475 1.32a/r, sdx 5x14 or 16, tuned plate, afc, bumped timing is a good start on a cheap route.

Prostreet F-100 Build Thread

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...112541&page=24

Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
Worstenemy453

Member`s Gallery
I thought there were a lot more responses than this. lol

Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Chris Mallett

Name: Chris Mallett
Title: 12ver Swap Idiot
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I thought there were a lot more responses than this. lol
Let's see. You come over here and without searching you want someone that has spent and in some cases blown money to share THEIR EXACT formula. That is not the way it works. Why is 700 your #? If you have no experience with a 12ver you MAY be happy when you do a little work and just get to 500hp in a light vehicle. Search and lurk. That is how I learn. Don't come here and expect the grail to be passed to you on a silver platter.

R.I.P. Dex, Godspeed.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
apocalypse1812

Name: apocalypse1812
Title: Nailed It!
Member`s Gallery
Do a search, that's why you aren't getting any responses, because its been covered already.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Plus with a screen name like "worst enemy" most people will be afraid. I know I was.

That's why I waited until some off my friends typed something first.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
5.9 Cummins Fan

Name: 5.9 Cummins Fan
Title: Gearhead
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

700 hp and reliable don't exactly go hand in hand. Especially when towing in that light of a truck. Like everyone else asking formula questions, just search and put some time into it, just like everyone else who has spent the money and time.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #18
lextalionis

Name: lextalionis
Title: user friendly
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I am going to grab a motor from pick a part and start there. So im guessing the answers to the pump and KDP will be no. Motor will be cleaned up, ill grab a rebuild kit and rebuild it, then start doing what i need to.

I dont have someone to help tune the pump YET.

700 will be fuel only.

I might tow occansionaly. Nothing more than 10K lbs or so.

And i dont really care what combo i go with, i need someone to throw me a combo that will definitely get me there, and then i need to know EXACTLY what ill need. Will i need rods, a modded pump, i need to know everything.
man i had the same kind of questions and if you search you will find nearly every answer youre looking for. when i started getting ideas about my build i hit that search button every chance i got before i asked any questions.

it is kinda time consuming but in reading you will find the answers to questions that you havnt even come up with yet (i know sounds dumb) but the guy doing similar build run into a problem (x) and come up with a solution (y) so ultimatly you can save time and headaches in the long run.

Also, you might want to check the for sale section on here theres alot of good parts that run through this place and could save you some money.

i dont tow with my setup at all so of course there will be differences but to give you a starting point...... like he said 700 and reliable dont exactly mix but you will want to look in to-

balancing the bottom end
head studs
main studs
hd rod bolts
marine pistons
4kgsk
60lb valve springs
fluid damper
hpfp
decent porting of the head
these are things to consider to increase the chance reliability.

-Sorry for the long post but maybe this will get you started!

Closed Thread