Rumors are getting louder that Atlanta Dragway/Commerce is going to close

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Fact:

Atlanta Dragway is an NHRA track that hasn't been updated in many years even though a brand new track has been built in Cecil/Valdosta, GA and Gainesville, FL's track is ~2 hours south of Cecil.

Fact:

The land around the ATL Dragway is now very valuable and quickly developing near an already booming and growing commercial and industrial center off I-85.

Fact:

Summit Racing opened in McDonough, GA a southern exurb of Atlanta, GA and it just so happens to be ~6 miles from Atlanta Motor Speedway which currently does not have a drag strip. Was this just a convienent location to ATL which happens to be the transportation hub of the South or are the rumors about a track going in at AMS true (Summit employees seem to be spreading these as well)?

What have you heard if anything? All I know is AMS is 12 minutes from my house and I'll be there every weekend if they open such a track.

It's been funny because there have been rumors for years about this. I inquired then with the track manager and he said it was rumor. Last year they even put up on the front page of the Atlanta Dragway website it was rumor.

BUT - Atlanta is an older track. Commerce is growing and the land IS valuable.

No way in knowing what corporate america has in store unless we are truly inside, so I say it could go either way.

Points on not moving...

Hotels closer to track.

Closer to interstate.

NHRA owns this track so I am sure they would have to sell it to the AMS owners to put it on their property.

Currently you have SGMP, then about 3 hrs north Silver Dollar, then another 3 hrs north, Atlanta. Nice spacing for the state for our 3 NHRA 1/4 mile tracks.

But you never know what their thinking...

Asphalt is cheeeaaap.

No improvements on lighting, concession areas, restrooms, grandstands, VIP boxes, score lights........It's not that Commerce is a dump it's just the fact Commerce is nothing like Cecil and I'm sure Cecil is hungry.

While AMS may not get a track my money says Commerce doesn't have too much time left. Plus, who wants a high dollar house next to a dragstrip? Someone knows something us common folk don't.

Just my .02

I told my CFI they need to close Tara Field next to AMS for 8 hours every Saturday and set up a strip and she about kicked me out of the plane.:lolly:

At 4503' x 75' there's plenty of room for shut down. http://www.airnav.com/airport/4A7

Last edited:
Back