New vegetable oil powered vehicle landspeed record

Hey everybody. Greenspeed can use your help! We recently entered our telemetry system in a design competition, and that is what you can help with. We need votes! You can check out the project here:

Community: Greenspeed - The World's Fastest Vegetable Oil Powered Vehicle - USA

Sadly, to vote, you have to register, but it takes less than 1 minute to do so. Instructions are below.

If we win the popular vote, we will get $750 that we can put towards our travel expenses to the salt flats this year. We really need that this year...

As usual, if you have any questions about the project, we are happy to share info.

Instructions for voting:
1. Click on the link (Community: Greenspeed - The World's Fastest Vegetable Oil Powered Vehicle - USA)
2. On the top left of the page it says "Welcome Guest". Click on "Register" right next to it.
3. Go through the registration process
4. When you're done you should be brought back to the project entry page
5. If you have time read the entry and give us some feedback (optional)
6. On the bottom right of the entry is a like button (similar to Facebook) click on it. The like count should go up.
7. Rate the project (optional)
8. Done!

Congratulations guys, Pat at Big Twin is a fine guy, very helpful for sure. Should bring it out to Firebird and make a pass or two, if nothing else it will smell good going down the track. Friend run straight veggie oil in his dodge, cool as hell. Good lucK!!

We are trying REALLY hard to make the test and tune on July 7th, but we've got a LOOOONG way to go before we can move. Having trouble getting some of the parts needed. :(

Chassis stuff (needed to be able to run on the 7th):

-4 hubs (ACE Racing Grand National Floater Rear 4.75" BC hub new | eBay, with bearings/seals/etc also)
-2 tires (Goodyear Race Tires || Eagle, 28x4.5" 585 FRIGGIN BUCKS EACH...)
-2 wheels (Summit Racing SUM-55-5461 - Summit Racing 55 Series Silver Rally Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com
)
-steering rack and assc parts (don't have a link, but in the 3-500 $ range)
-aluminum sheet metal (0.125", a 4x8' sheet)

Engine stuff for an '03 (not needed to run on the 7th, trying to get donated from Cummins, but no luck at this point):

-all sensors (throttle, map, water temp, rail pressure, etc. Painless sponsored a harness, so we just need everything to connect it too)
-new oil pump
-water pump
-new oil cooler
-1 good working CP3 (don't matter the application, it's for the secondary pump)
-all the fuel system parts: rail, injection lines, fittings, etc to fill the gaps between the FASS, ATS Twin CP3 kit, and injector holes
-we kind of have injectors at this point, but a set of cores would go a LOOOONG ways...

Misc stuff (the "nice to have" list):

A nice, quiet, generator for working down on the salt, and powering our veg oil heaters. We almost got kicked out for using the one we had last year.
An enclosed trailer. 30+ feet. Keep the truck from getting trashed/vandalized while hauling it around to events (yes, this did happen).

I feel pretty weird posting this up here, but you did ask.

Last edited:
Can't believe anyone would get after your for using a portable generator on the flats. It's not exactly a quiet sport, what kind do you have now and how big a one do you need? Not a 12 valve cummins guy but lots of those dinosaur types on here.

A sound enclosure makes a world of difference, closed on 4 sides, open to sky. Although the sun out there is wicked and would probably over heat it. pick up another muffler to put on, with a stack that points up. Should quiet it down dramatically

Nice job! Very impressive.

I have towed my boat 120+ on gps with a tiny 62mm, a bunch of water and I have towed a 15ft enclosed trailer 112mph on gps with an hx35 making 45psi with the gate open (why does everyone want to race when im towing :confused:). With that set of twins running as clean as it does turn up the wick a bit with that much power on tap I'd imagine that thing has more in it! :D

How long is the run? What kind of EGT and boost is it making?

Last edited:
Thanks! Here is a thread in the engine section with some graphs of egt from the data logger, you should check them out. The course was only 1.3 miles of LOOSE DIRT at El Mirage. Kinda like driving on big ball bearings. This year at Bonneville, we'll be on a 5 mile course. Didn't even get to stay on the pedal the whole way through that 1.3 miles either. As you can see in the individual egg thread, it got pretty hot, so I had to let off and coast for a bit about .75 miles in. And it was still pulling something fierce when I crossed the line. AND, we're still only running the 2.3 gears in the rear. We have down to 1.7, and there are down to 1.1 available. Breaking 200 should be pretty easy, but breaking the petro record will need everything to work out as planned, and have enough time for plenty of fine tuning.

As far as the generator goes, we did build an enclosure for it, but the neighbors were still getting pissed. It was just an old 5000w that was pretty much Clampit style. We were a sight to see down there last year.....

I have a 3500 watt RV generator that's pretty quiet, you pay the shipping its yours!
It does 120v and 30 amps, you need to add box with plugs ...

Can't believe anyone would get after your for using a portable generator on the flats. It's not exactly a quiet sport, what kind do you have now and how big a one do you need? Not a 12 valve cummins guy but lots of those dinosaur types on here.

The engine parts we are looking for are for an '03 CR. The 12v will be our backup engine, and is complete.

Its in the RV still, I would bet about 150 and zip is 76266, I can palletize, UPS or FedEx will pick up from our shop

I have a I believe 4kw Honda that is at the ATP shop in Eagle or more probably in the race trailer that I will donate to you. I bought it for my camper but way too heavy for one guy to lug around. If you want it you can have it. It's damn near brand new. I'll get in touch with Rob and set it up if you want it. It is not those super quiet one but a good generator. I paid I think $850 on Craig's list last year. I'd be happy to donate to you guys and if you don't want it sell it for the $$.

Last edited:
Another great offer, thank you very much Subman. I think that one will bump 24vriviera's due to no shipping costs. If you could pm me once you've talked with Rob, that'd be awesome!

Hats off subman! Wish I had more to help you guys but my lack of large amounts of specialty parts it's kind off prohibitive...
Good luck out there!

Another great offer, thank you very much Subman. I think that one will bump 24vriviera's due to no shipping costs. If you could pm me once you've talked with Rob, that'd be awesome!

Will do, will talk to Rob in the morning and good luck, pulling for you guys.

Back