EFI Live still viable???

Ridemywideglide

Diesel NON-Pro
Finally moving on from the 12v, and picked myself up a 2008 mega. It's not delivered yet, but in pics I can see that the EGR delete has been done, unknown about the exhaust as of yet. Guessing it must have some tune on it already as there were no CEL lights.

Looking into the efi live, and I'd like to go this route, but also read a bunch about EPA clamping down on tuners, and not being able to get deleted tunes any longer. Wondering how difficult it's going to be, or if it's still worth it to drop the money on it...

Finally moving on from the 12v, and picked myself up a 2008 mega. It's not delivered yet, but in pics I can see that the EGR delete has been done, unknown about the exhaust as of yet. Guessing it must have some tune on it already as there were no CEL lights.

Looking into the efi live, and I'd like to go this route, but also read a bunch about EPA clamping down on tuners, and not being able to get deleted tunes any longer. Wondering how difficult it's going to be, or if it's still worth it to drop the money on it...

Won't be getting many response on this topic here.

EPA "Clamped" down on diesels, drag strips, and many other gonfast goodies.

I wouldn't be afraid to go with EFILive. Though if you call a big name shop on the phone and say you want a delete tune, you will hear the same response from each shop.

If you do not want to tackle the tuning yourself, talk to folks in your area, someone is tuning. I've found two guys local to me for tuning by word of mouth. One guy does gas (known nationally), the other does diesel. You just have to find them.

Congrats on the new ride.
I understand your excitement, and imagination on future modification. But...

I'd just wait. Drive it around & get to know it. Maybe you'll be happy with it as is. Going from a 12v to a 6.7, even if the 12 valve is moderately cranked, that 6.7 will be a world away from what you've been accustomed to.
I mean, why buy new tits for a woman on the first date ?

If it already has an EGR delete, good chance it also has already been deleted and has an exhaust kit on it already.
Fingers crossed, that would save you alot of trouble.

I'd just wait. Drive it around & get to know it. Maybe you'll be happy with it as is. Going from a 12v to a 6.7, even if the 12 valve is moderately cranked, that 6.7 will be a world away from what you've been accustomed to.

Jeff, you never cease to amaze me, Sir. :hehe:

I can't say "see if you like it first" though as I deleted my 6.7 the week after I bought it. ;)

Congrats on the new ride.
I understand your excitement, and imagination on future modification. But...

I have driven a few in my search, and yes, it's a vast power improvement. I'm not so much looking for race tunes, as I am a bit more economy. My 12v gets 22mpg all day long on my commute, and I'd like to keep some of that, as well as get some trans tuning to help it live longer. Your analogy is spot-on tho. hahaha

??? today's winning post is an early one!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more.

If it already has an EGR delete, good chance it also has already been deleted and has an exhaust kit on it already.
Fingers crossed, that would save you alot of trouble.

I'm hoping this is the case. The carfax shows some service work done about 50k miles back that included "replace exhaust system" so that could go either way...

I wouldn't be afraid to go with EFILive. Though if you call a big name shop on the phone and say you want a delete tune, you will hear the same response from each shop.

If you do not want to tackle the tuning yourself, talk to folks in your area, someone is tuning. I've found two guys local to me for tuning by word of mouth. One guy does gas (known nationally), the other does diesel. You just have to find them.

This is what I was looking for, just a confirmation that I wasn't tossing $1200 out the window.
The V8 so far seems pretty similar to the race tuner software I use on my Harley, just with tons more options. I've searched up a few places to download tunes to play with, but would rather pay-to-play at this point. Not too many diesel shops local, but a few hundred miles away is not bad.

Back