Good drill bits?

Buy from McMaster or some other industrial supply house and be sure to get HSS bits at least (High Speed Steel). They will last much longer than any Tinitrideepoxy coated crap. Buy a good set, figure out which particular bits you use the most, and order them in lots of five or three. Expect to pay $2-$9 per bit.

Medium priced go with Precision twist. Truly high end bits and just about all I use now, Nachi. Just like quality taps the Japanese are far superior to anything coming out of America. The cheap bits and a sharpener comments are just plain stupid. It's like saying carry a $5 knife and a stone. No thanks, I will use quality tools and sharpen 5% as much and have cleaner more accurate holes on every cut.

I buy around 4-500 drills per year, mostly Precision. Very good drill bits and reasonably priced. Many years ago I had a guy come out and put in a suspended ceiling at the shop. He was going through 1/8" stub drills like they were m&m's. He finally ran out of them and asked if he could borrow some from me. I handed him 3 Precision 1/8" stub cobalt drills and a couple hours later he handed 2 of them back to me and asked if he could keep the 1 that drilled all the holes. I machine 303, 304, and 316 stainless most of the time and cheap drills cost me money when they break and I send a $30-$120 boring tool into a hole with a broken drill stuck there. Nachi is a good brand too, but I no longer have a source for them.

I have had my mac bits for a long time now and after they broke he always upgraded me to the kobalts which seem allot better

Back