Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #21
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Well it isn't a 12V might be the issue, the 12V seem to have a more smooth sound.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #22
Johndeere9610

Name: Johndeere9610
Title: Ford guy
Member`s Gallery
my p pump 24v truck don't sound like that. But it could just be the video camera.

Last edited by Johndeere9610; 07-13-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: adding 24v

Old 07-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #23
Charles

Name: Charles
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Hmm, what gear do you suggest I run Charles, since I have an AUTOMATIC? Maybe I should run on the high side? LMAO. There is your sign.
Maybe when you can explain how choosing too low a gear with a truck running an auto isn't possible you can keep laughing off the obvious fact that it's exactly what you did. Obviously reading the track vs seeing the results is a big difference, and we're in hindsight now. But you didn't say you wished you had run a bit less gear, your tone was as if that's as far as you could have physically pulled given the track condition. Which given the light load the engine was under is incorrect. This is also proven in the fact that you lost to the people who chose better and pulled farther than you on the same track. Maybe they had more tire, or maybe they just chose a better gear. I would say probably some of both.

Quote:
Actually I believe two of the trucks grabbed the higher gear on their runs. They lost distance. Your logic is somewhat correct, but your assuming that the engine speed will drop more of a percentage than the wheel speed rises by the gear ratio.
Now you may not have a better gear option with your current T-case, trans and R&P set, but rest assured, looking at the video you posted, you could have run a taller gear, however you chose to get that done.

You can call get the gear however you want. Swap to the high side and run a numerically lower trans gear, run a numerically lower R&P, change tire size, tire pressure.... whatever.

You had more power than you turned into wheel speed. For any given track condition you still short-change yourself whenever you do that.

Last edited by Charles; 07-14-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Maybe when you can explain how choosing too low a gear with a truck running an auto isn't possible you can keep laughing off the obvious fact that it's exactly what you did. Obviously reading the track vs seeing the results is a big difference, and we're in hindsight now. But you didn't say you wished you had run a bit less gear, your tone was as if that's as far as you could have physically pulled given the track condition. Which given the light load the engine was under is incorrect. This is also proven in the fact that you lost to the people who chose better and pulled farther than you on the same track. Maybe they had more tire, or maybe they just chose a better gear. I would say probably some of both.

Now you may not have a better gear option with your current T-case, trans and R&P set, but rest assured, looking at the video you posted, you could have run a taller gear.

You can call get the gear however you want. Swap to the high side and run a numerically lower trans gear, run a numerically lower R&P, change tire size, tire pressure.... whatever.

You had more power than you turned into wheel speed. For any given track condition you still short-change yourself whenever you do that.

OK charles, I guess I will keep an extra front and rear ring and pinion, ready to swap out on the bad tracks.

I guess I can let you tell me what gear I should run have you seen the splits on the dodge auto trans?

Charles maybe I should have posted a sarcasm symbol in the "talk about a bad track"

I am not going to change ring and pinions, and the type of torque/HP we make grabbing the next higher gear just spins the tires faster...

Take the truck down in HP and your philosophy works, one of the guys was pushing 38 MPH wheel speed, never pulled his truck down either, and he went several feet less than I did.

The trucks that won either had less HP or had more tire, the gearing really didn't help as I have stated the ones that jumped up in gears didn't go as far.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #25
59Dsul

Name: 59Dsul
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Charles, have you ever hooked to a sled?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #26
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
OK charles, I guess I will keep an extra front and rear ring and pinion, ready to swap out on the bad tracks.

I guess I can let you tell me what gear I should run have you seen the splits on the dodge auto trans?

Charles maybe I should have posted a sarcasm symbol in the "talk about a bad track"

I am not going to change ring and pinions, and the type of torque/HP we make grabbing the next higher gear just spins the tires faster...

Take the truck down in HP and your philosophy works, one of the guys was pushing 38 MPH wheel speed, never pulled his truck down either, and he went several feet less than I did.

The trucks that won either had less HP or had more tire, the gearing really didn't help as I have stated the ones that jumped up in gears didn't go as far.

You lost to the guys that planted more power. Period. Spinning the tires faster increases, it does not decrease the force due to kinetic friction. If you could spin the tires 200mph rest assured you would pull farther.

The way you make it sound, a guy running 300mph tire speed on that track with a 7000hp top fuel engine would have barely pulled the length of his own truck.

Sheesh.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #27
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Dsul View Post
Charles, have you ever hooked to a sled?
I havunt. You gonna tale meh all abowt how it wurks naw?

Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #28
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You lost to the guys that planted more power. Period. Spinning the tires faster increases, it does not decrease the force due to kinetic friction. If you could spin the tires 200mph rest assured you would pull farther.

The way you make it sound, a guy running 300mph tire speed on that track with a 7000hp top fuel engine would have barely pulled the length of his own truck.

Sheesh.
Charles, where did I say I didn't lose to guys that planted more power? I never did, I was showing a video of a terrible track, yes I could buy another set of tires, double the amount of contact area, etc, etc.

What is the coefficient of friction on a sand track charles? Is that coefficient uniform from left to right, from the start of the track to the end? Your over simplifying it. The guy that spins his tires faster? Does he throw more dirt in front of the sled? Does he throw more dirt in front of the rear tires? Does he dig down further and get into soft stuff? Too many assumptions are being made. In a lab, yea I would buy what your selling. It isn't a lab...

Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #29
Kman9090

Name: Kman9090
Member`s Gallery
Oh my god charles is an idiot! The only thing that would of helped is if he were running 33x15.50 mtz's like Ben Duvall did last year, running truxus or BFG A/T on a track like that your not going to hook up! Period, no matter what gear you pull in! But you run those same tires on a good track and you will lose to the guys running truxus and BFG's!

Chalres stick to something you know! Whatever that is! You always got to get on here and tell the guys that are out there doing it every weekend how to do it, and its hard to tell somebody what they are doing wrong from the stands!

Gilmore Diesel Performance
Sponsored by D&B Performance and Fabrication

Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #30
joelc79

Name: joelc79
Member`s Gallery
so who won the last dodge, thats the most common rails i've seen in one night

Old 07-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #31
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Charles, where did I say I didn't lose to guys that planted more power? I never did, I was showing a video of a terrible track, yes I could buy another set of tires, double the amount of contact area, etc, etc.

What is the coefficient of friction on a sand track charles? Is that coefficient uniform from left to right, from the start of the track to the end? Your over simplifying it. The guy that spins his tires faster? Does he throw more dirt in front of the sled? Does he throw more dirt in front of the rear tires? Does he dig down further and get into soft stuff? Too many assumptions are being made. In a lab, yea I would buy what your selling. It isn't a lab...

Sounded like the engine never came under decent load. Explain how less final drive wouldn't cure that.

I don't care if you were pulling on the moon, it is what it is.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #32
Charles

Member`s Gallery
And I want to point out again, we are in hindsight now, so it's easy to see things. I'm not telling you I think I would have done it perfect and pulled so much farther, blah, blah, blah....

Not at all.

I'm just talking about the video I watched. Looked like too much ratio for the power the engine was making vs the traction you had access to.

Regardless of anything else you didn't make good use of the power. Point blank.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
59Dsul

Member`s Gallery
Do you not understand that you can't just pick a different (higher) gear and expect everything to work? Even a hilljack like me (as you implied) understands it. Are you the guy in the stands explaining to all your buds how this pulling thing really works????? Those who can't.......

Dan, you've really got some panties is a wad the past couple days. First pointing out rebadged stuff and now this thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #34
Kman9090

Name: Kman9090
Member`s Gallery
You are waisting your time you cant explain anything to charles, he knows it all!

Gilmore Diesel Performance
Sponsored by D&B Performance and Fabrication

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #35
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Do you not understand that you can't just pick a different (higher) gear and expect everything to work? Even a hilljack like me (as you implied) understands it. Are you the guy in the stands explaining to all your buds how this pulling thing really works????? Those who can't.......

Dan, you've really got some panties is a wad the past couple days. First pointing out rebadged stuff and now this thread

No, you can't change something and just expect everything to be perfect, nope. Thanks captain obvious.

But what you can do...... is not run the exact same gear you normally run on a tight track when you find yourself in a sand box and then wonder why the engine never came under load.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 AM   #36
59Dsul

Member`s Gallery
Like I said, those who can't.....teach

Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #37
Charles

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Like I said, those who can't.....teach
You sound like a seriously stupid person. I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying that's the impression you give.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #38
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
I understand what Charles is saying, what he is saying is the obvious choice, if it were an ideal world. There are other things to do besides gear changes that will work.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #39
59Dsul

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the info....I didn't know that about myself....Must be because I'm so stupid. Also thanks for letting everyone on here know how intelligent you are.

To get this back on track, I don't have any advice to offer you Dan. You did the best with what you had to work with. Did you get your water leak figured out?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #40
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the info....I didn't know that about myself....Must be because I'm so stupid. Also thanks for letting everyone on here know how intelligent you are.

To get this back on track, I don't have any advice to offer you Dan. You did the best with what you had to work with. Did you get your water leak figured out?

Water leak appear to be fixed. Kind of anxious to see what it does on a real track.

Closed Thread