K27 as a single

cumminsguy95

So I have been looking into turbos and potentially compounds for my truck. It’s a 95 12 valve with 215 injectors, arp studs, 60# valve springs, governor springs, Air Dog, NV4500 and 410 gears. I talked to the guys at PDD and they recommended the K27 because in the future I can do the compound add a turbo kit and it will make good power with just the upgrade. I have done some searching and found several threads where people were running them in compounds but can’t find much if anything where people were running them as a single. Has anyone run them as a single? What were your thoughts? My truck is DD and is used for pulling jeeps, random trailers, and hauling hay. Was going to order one probably next pay check but was curious about other people’s thoughts. I’ll also be ordering an AFC live with this setup as well. Thanks.

I ran the k27 as a single in a 95...
95 with 160 pump 7mm Dv
5x14 inj
19 degrees of timing
Valve springs and pushrods
I DD that truck with it for 5,000 miles, and towed 12,000 lbs. All in all great turbo for the money loved that it was 100% drop in. Adjusting the wastage was an ass pain but it ran really well and kept the egts down, and spooled just like a stock turbo. A little louder but I enjoyed it. PDD is a great group of guys and aren't gonna steer ya wrong

Yeah they definitely know their stuff. Wasn't doubting them at all but more curious about what people were seeing first hand. I know different areas of the country will change how the truck performs as well.

At the time I lived in California and it was hot 90% of the time and lots of mountains still worked well I lived at 3600 ft above sea level

As I recall, on the dyno we saw a 40HP increase over a maxed out HX35 on the dyno. Not a huge upgrade, but it does drop right in place, is cheaper than the Borg SXE turbos, and it spools great!

But if a max of 40HP gain is not what you're looking for, probably need to go bigger, unless you plan to use it as the high pressure turbo in a compound turbo setup in the future.

As I recall, on the dyno we saw a 40HP increase over a maxed out HX35 on the dyno. Not a huge upgrade, but it does drop right in place, is cheaper than the Borg SXE turbos, and it spools great!

But if a max of 40HP gain is not what you're looking for, probably need to go bigger, unless you plan to use it as the high pressure turbo in a compound turbo setup in the future.

That's my plan. Looking at their add a turbo kit to run compounds sometime with the next year or so. Ballin on a budget sucks.

Back