Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
snow ram

Name: snow ram
Title: Newb
Member`s Gallery
opinion on marine pistons and machined motors

my 12 valve went under the knife a few days ago and ended up having 14 thousandths taken off the deck and another 10 thousandths off the head i believe.
that matched with a 20 thousandths marine gasket of course doesnt add up properly to stock compression
i was making anywhere from 50-55psi before the truck blew up with a 64/14 and the concerns now are that i am going to make too much boost for the amount of room i have in the cylinders
the debate i am having right now is that is it actually worth the money to have marine pistons put in or have the stock pistons machined down 10 or 20 thousandths or should i just leave them and run it how it is
the truck of course is just built for a daily driver and something to run down the track, probably no sled pulling for this trailer queen....

Old 03-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
paulb

Name: paulb
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow ram
my 12 valve went under the knife a few days ago and ended up having 14 thousandths taken off the deck and another 10 thousandths off the head i believe.
that matched with a 20 thousandths marine gasket of course doesnt add up properly to stock compression
i was making anywhere from 50-55psi before the truck blew up with a 64/14 and the concerns now are that i am going to make too much boost for the amount of room i have in the cylinders
the debate i am having right now is that is it actually worth the money to have marine pistons put in or have the stock pistons machined down 10 or 20 thousandths or should i just leave them and run it how it is
the truck of course is just built for a daily driver and something to run down the track, probably no sled pulling for this trailer queen....
The .010 taken off the head will not increase the compression (the head is flat). If you took .014 off the block and used a .020 oversized head gasket, you have .006 more deck then you started with.

Paul

Old 03-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
snow ram

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem
Josh, don't do marine pistons. If all you want is the larger piston bowl there are better options to retain some streetability.

what are you thinking weston?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
snow ram

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem
It depends on what timing advance, injectors, and camshaft you choose to run.

new era 435s, stock cam, and i wanted something around 20 degrees.
btw, the injectors have the half mm washers

Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
wildmanben

Name: wildmanben
Title: Farmboy...
Member`s Gallery
so what? just machine the pistons down or leave them as is?

Country Performance Diesel
PureFlow Technologies
Southbend Clutch
Bullseye Power
JL Machine
Fluidampr

Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
COMP461

Name: COMP461
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
If the head is cut .010 you have lost that much piston to valve . But the .020 gasket gives you part of that .006 back after the accounting for the block. I would think your fine, but if you that far in to it, a cam is the only way to go. In a diesel a good cam selection will have zero draw backs and a lot of advantages. Cooler Egt’s and less restriction in the intake track, or what some refer to as boost.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
snow ram

Member`s Gallery
well the pistons are getting machined down twenty-five thousandths under a few peoples suggestions.
im just thinking that now with all of these variables, this thing will be a ***** to time properly.
the only draw back i can see right now is a cold weather start up having that lower of compression, it might be on the verge of being a ***** to start. only good news about the motor is there was only a thousandth or two of cylinder taper...
-Josh

Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
snow ram

Member`s Gallery
the gasket will be twenty thousandths thicker than stock so i can lower my compression. that way when other things get injected into the motor i have a little more room to work
as we talked about it, this should hopefully lower the compression to around 16 or 17 to 1
then i would really like to run around 20 degrees timing but we will see how that goes once the motor is put together and tuned a little

Closed Thread