Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
TrailTamer

Name: TrailTamer
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
NP-271D Swap: VSS HELP!

Hey guys, I am at end of my wits.

I just swapped in D80 with NP-271 from a '03 Ram 2500 Cummins.

My truck is driveable and have all gears and lock up (47RE) but no speedometer, odometer and cruise control (all in-op).

I used Dakota Digital SGI-5 C in an attempt to get my speedometer back with no success so far.

As much as I've searched, I've found no reliable source on how to get the speedometer back on 94-97 Rams. 98+ don't need this as they use the rear differential's wheel speed sensor (WSS) while the 94-97 use the VSS off the transfer case.

My truck only have RWAL, no ABS for the front. It's in-op since the day one I own the truck, no ABS lights at all, even if I have it disconnected.

I just put in a new D80 (almost all new except for ring&pinion) and got new WSS on it with new pigtail (for some reason my truck had some oddball sensor plug that do not match up to my truck's year on my old D70).

the closest one I've found is in this link, post #4 http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=105580

I didn't followed his instruction closely but what I've done so far that didn't work:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/pdf/sgi-5c.pdf
"Application #2"

Click the image to open in full size.

FWIW, the WSS is a two wire sensor

I hooked up the "12 volt accessory power" and "GROUND" no big deal.

"Sensor ground (if needed)": I hooked it up to one of the wire going to the WSS

"Speed input signal": on the other wire to the WSS.

I even switched them both with no change just in case it matters.

"OUT" 1 thr 5: VSS's signal output circuit, white/orange (orange is the tracer). I used all five terminals with no success.

I toyed with the four "ON/OFF" switches with combinations with no success at all also, even though the "Application #2" in the PDF stated they all should be "OFF".

In end, everything I did, none worked, none will move my speedometer needle at all.

I'm thinking the wiring between where I hooked up the WSS's to (under the dash), to the WSS sensor is broken/bad somewhere in between and am anticipating to run a new wire entirely to eliminate the possibility that there's wiring problem hindering my new set up's operation. Or I may have incorrect WSS sensor that have too much gap between the tone ring to the sensor?

So, anyone who did the NP-271 swap in their 94-97 Rams, what you did that worked? I am suppose to go on a road trip, close to 10k miles total in the next two months, first part starting this Friday. so I'll REALLY LOVE TO HAVE MY CRUISE CONTROL!! I will really appreciate your help!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
I just re-read the PDF carefully and realized that my unit never received any signal from the WSS as it's green light never ever blinked when I was test driving it.

I guess my best next move will be to have the WSS sensor and it's circuit going to the unit a closer look and go from there.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=43063

Old 05-29-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
stubz616

Name: stubz616
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Go under Alex hales build thread. I posted how I hooked my SGI-5 in my 95 (94 cab and wiring) and posted pictures. It should help you out. I hooked everything into the ABS module so it uses he rear ends speed sensor just like the newer trucks. I forget what I set the initial settings to on the box but the instructions that came with it you should be able to figure that out from. Let me know if you need the pictures or anything again if you can't find them.

I like to go fast
95 RCLB Farrell Diesel Stage 5 13mm pump,Hamilton Springs,Retainers,Pushrods,Fluidampr,Steed Speed,S467.7/soon to be S488 atmo,Full Billet Trans,DPC 4 disk TC,BD Pressure Loc,Haley Speed 5x.022s,Diesel Pros Custom Cam,O-Ringed,.010 over HG,A1000,Hellman sump,625 Studs, 30*

Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
Post #1118 in his thread

I like to go fast
95 RCLB Farrell Diesel Stage 5 13mm pump,Hamilton Springs,Retainers,Pushrods,Fluidampr,Steed Speed,S467.7/soon to be S488 atmo,Full Billet Trans,DPC 4 disk TC,BD Pressure Loc,Haley Speed 5x.022s,Diesel Pros Custom Cam,O-Ringed,.010 over HG,A1000,Hellman sump,625 Studs, 30*

Old 05-30-2014, 03:15 AM   #6
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
My truck's speedometer officially works now. To recap, the entire time it didn't work because there was too big gap between the sensor and the tone ring. The sensor I have is plastic so I grounded it down to reduce the gap.

Later when I'm not driving, I'll make a simple, clear write up on how to hook it up and where to easily splice into the existing circuit behind the knee panel so there won't be any needs to connect the circuit then run them through the firewall for a cleaner install.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTamer View Post

Later when I'm not driving, I'll make a simple, clear write up on how to hook it up and where to easily splice into the existing circuit behind the knee panel so there won't be any needs to connect the circuit then run them through the firewall for a cleaner install.

That is how I hooked mine up. Into the ABS module under the dash. It's the post # I listed above in A Hales build thread with pictures and descriptions. Glad you got it figured out.

I like to go fast

Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
where is alex's build thread? I cant find it

Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
It's a ways back in the 94-98 section now. Titled A Hale's 94 build thread.
I'll try to copy and paste it to this thread

I like to go fast

Old 06-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
Here's my setup of the SGI-5 from Dakota digital. I wanted to keep all the connections inside the truck to keep them out of the weather...
Here's it mounted to the dash just to the right of the column next to the ABS computer
These are the only two connections you need to make at the plug for the ABS computer. Yellow wire from SGI-5 goes to the big red on the left in the picture to get 12v key on power (you could get it elsewhere, I just kept it combined with the ABS. The purple wire from the SGI (input) gets spliced into the wire shown at right in the pic. That's the signal coming from the rear speed sensor in your rear end.
This pic shows the 4 switches orientation that worked for me.
1- off 2- off 3- on 4- on.
Black from the SGI-5 just goes to a chassis ground (mines to the dash) and the last wire coming from OUT-3 goes up to the gauge cluster and gets connected to the speedo signal wire (I forget the color but it was on the plug closer to the center of the cab.)
I tuned mine in using my GPS for the speedo and it seems to be pretty accurate when I try to set the high scores on the police radar traps.
As long as when you start moving the green light will start to blink when it sees a signal then your good. Just a little adjusting and you'll get there. The paperwork they send with re box explains all the adjustments in depth.
Hope this helps you out. If you have any questions just PM me and I'll try to help you out best I can.

I like to go fast

Old 06-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
Didn't need the sensor ground hooked up because what your doing is just intercepting the pulsing power or ground signal that the sensor should already be putting out for the ABS signal.

I like to go fast

Old 06-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
TrailTamer

Member`s Gallery
Thanks!

I ran entire new wires from the WSS to the SGI-5 unit, completely bypassed the old circuits to the RAWL. The original wiring looks like they had seen better days so I didn't chance it as I was getting agitated on get this done in time. RAWL on my truck is completely dead, in-op so no loss there and I'm sure it will not really benefit me anyway.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
stubz616

Member`s Gallery
The only benefit to how I did it is no ABS light from a missing sensor because I just piggy backed it even though my ABS doesn't work either... I've never seen a RWABS system on one of these trucks work. Just the 4 wheel systems that use 3 sensors. Hope you get it figured out

I like to go fast

Closed Thread