Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Pureflow Airdog
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #21
1lowdiesel

Name: 1lowdiesel
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
^^ True but there is still enough line to mount it in an acceptable spot. I personally didn't like them much either when i first say them, but that was only b/c of the splicing thing with the union barb. But after thinking about it it's not that bad and i've only gotten one call since the new ones started shipping with someone that didn't like it. I'd say that's a damn good ratio for sending out over 50 kits and only having one call back.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowdiesel View Post
^^ True but there is still enough line to mount it in an acceptable spot. I personally didn't like them much either when i first say them, but that was only b/c of the splicing thing with the union barb. But after thinking about it it's not that bad and i've only gotten one call since the new ones started shipping with someone that didn't like it. I'd say that's a damn good ratio for sending out over 50 kits and only having one call back.
I've had 2 total. Both said the splice ruined a clean install. I don't get that part of it. I understand what they are saying but you can put the splice ANYWHERE. Put it in a spot that isn't seen. I mean its already under the truck anyways but put it in a hidden location under there and that will take care of it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Racer View Post
The only real complaint is that the new fittings limit where or how you can install the pump.
How so? The kits now have (3) 7ft. hoses. 21 ft. total. The old kits didn't have that much. So there is plenty of hose. What limits you to where you mount it?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #24
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
I agree Ant, some people just don't like the fact that you have to take a finished line and cut into it. I'm still on the fence about this one though, i get to see it from both sides and there are pros and cons to each. I just think the pros out-number the cons.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
How so? The kits now have (3) 7ft. hoses. 21 ft. total. The old kits didn't have that much. So there is plenty of hose. What limits you to where you mount it?
I think he just means limited on location based on not cutting the lines.

Most people imo don't want to have to cut lines when they already come finished. This going back to the "clean" comment.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #26
theonlyz

Name: theonlyz
Title: professional he** raiser
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You asked, so here is my vent!
Any feedback is good. I like to here them all. So here is my answers to those.
It seems to me that you are upset by our feedback and getting defensive

After installing one unit this is what I must say.
The price went up which is total BS because the amount of material (hose, fittings, etc.) included in the kit went down.
Wrong!!! The cost of the kit went up quite a bit. Even though the fittings aren't there anymore doesn't mean what is in there is cheaper. The new stuff is much more expensive.
That is complete BS!!!! So now we are going to be paying for cheap inferior plastic connections. (plastic+time=JUNK) As for the stock connections never having problems that is also false some like to crack at the tank connection. Where the old Airdog came with metal connections that were more perminent and durable and could be used over and over.

To accomplish a clean appearing installation you still have to cut and splice the hose if you have a short wheelbase truck.
Your telling me that this one fitting keeps it from being a clean install??? You see 1/2" of aluminum showing UNDER the truck IF you even have to use it. I posted a pic to show the fitting he is speaking of.
Its the fact that you have to cut a perfectly good sealed hose to put a splice in. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a one piece hose

Sure install time has dropped but that's due to the fact that there are no fittings to be user installed, not a hard thing to do and could have easily been accomplished with the earlier version. We all know that plastic fittings are not better than metal!
Well that remains to be seen. Did you try and get those fittings to leak? How about break? How often does your OE quick connect break off if you leave it alone? They are high quality fittings and very pricey as well. I was totally against them myself until I did the testing on them.Then I installed one and I was all for them. I did expect the guys like yourself who know how to turn wrenches to disapprove. It was aimed for the high number of people that can't figure it out on their own and I spend 8 hours on the phone with them telling them how to do it. You would understand more if you were here.
Maybe they are fine now but what about when time does a number on them with salt, cold temps, heat, ect ect. I live where its not uncommon to see -30. Id like to see how it holds up then. They maybe fine and all for the street or the normal user but I use my truck. As for making it easier for tards why to we the mechanically inclinded have to pay for their stupidity. Sounds Liberal to me and kind of the direction this country is going.

The only reason they are a big hit is because you can no longer get the old kit!
Wrong again. People liked the kits when compared to competitors. But the number of phone calls we get from shops has increased alot. Specific phone calls come in telling us how much they love the new kits. The quick connects will take some time for you guys that are good at what you do to give approval. So if they don't leak or break. Then what do you think?
I think over time they will prove problematic. Maybe they are fine for the ordinary install and person but whats going to happen in a few years when you go to drop that tank and your disconnecting one of the connections and it breaks? You have now made the consumer dependent on you. Instead of being able to go to the parts store or what have you we have to call and get it replaced through a dealer because we are stranded.

Here is something you guys may not know about the company which also was a factor in this. AirDog and Diesel RX employs about 50 people with disabilities. This includes many people with down syndrome and other handicaps. They are very important to us and getting them involved is also. We provide them with jobs to help their families financially. Some of you may know there was a problem with missing fittings when the move occured. Now with these new kits. It is much more simplified and they can become more involved.
Thats great and all but again why do we have to pay for it? You should have quality control for that reason. I purchase two systems from you and never had a problem with fittings. Id much rather have a more reliable system with metal connections

So in summary Im sure its a great system because its an airdogg but, its not for me. What happens in the case when you need to replace hose or like me mount it in another location where you need more hose than whats included? Or what if you get someone that wants to change the hose out completely for some braided line? It seems to me you are now stuck with these quick coupler deals. Can they even be added to another type of hose?

Either way its plastic and for that reason Ill stay away and see if I cant get my hands on the old style.

These are my opinions and I like to make sure I over kill everything. This way Im not stranded in the middle of no where and having a episode air on I Shouldnt Be Alive
04 Dodge Cummins QCSB 4X4, TC diesels extreme rail and dprv's, Exergy injectors 80% over, Wicked Diesels Coolant Bypass, AirDog 150, Garmon's competition transmission, and Full Engine build by Garmon's thats balanced and studded top to bottom with only the best inside

Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyz View Post
Thats great and all but again why do we have to pay for it? You should have quality control for that reason. I purchase two systems from you and never had a problem with fittings. Id much rather have a more reliable system with metal connections

So in summary Im sure its a great system because its an airdogg but, its not for me. What happens in the case when you need to replace hose or like me mount it in another location where you need more hose than whats included? Or what if you get someone that wants to change the hose out completely for some braided line? It seems to me you are now stuck with these quick coupler deals. Can they even be added to another type of hose?

Either way its plastic and for that reason Ill stay away and see if I cant get my hands on the old style.

These are my opinions and I like to make sure I over kill everything. This way Im not stranded in the middle of no where and having a episode air on I Shouldnt Be Alive
Not defensive. You guys are giving me the cons and I'm giving you reasoning behind it thats all. Remember your reading the computer screen. I'm all smiles here man. This is how you find out what is the best and develope it.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #28
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
1. Not defensive. You guys are giving me the cons and I'm giving you reasoning behind it thats all. Remember your reading the computer screen. I'm all smiles here man. This is how you find out what is the best and develope it. Now Ill answer to your answers.

2. You say the connections on TANK break all the time? Thats the male end attached to the canister your speaking of. We are providing the female end. Thats not the quick connect that has anything to do with an AirDog install and never has. The quick connect that was provided before was metal with PLASTIC internals that didn't fit snug at all. And cheap plastic isn't the case. Again they are much more expensive than all those fittings. You want to see cheap plastic, take a look at what they used in those fittings. Very low grade plastic that just flopped around inside the metal fitting.

3. As for the quick connects and their durability. I go back yet again and let you know these are quick connects that are used on every new truck out there. If you don't have a fuel system on your truck your truck contains these same quick connects. And I'm assuming they do not give them issues if they are not worried about replacing them. This isn't a new untested product or anything. These have been used and proven for years. As for the salt, heat, cold, etc. My answer is the same as above. IF there is an issue. A simple o ring will fix it.

4. Your answer to the breaking and not being able to go up town and get new ones. Cut the quick connect off and put the push locks you prefer on there. Its the same hose as used before. But until it happens my statement is the same as #3 and #2. I believe you are thinking these is something new. Yes it is new to AirDog. But not new to any of our vehicles. The quick connects are not an issue on the trucks now. Why would they be an issue in an AirDog kit?

5. When you say why does the end user have to pay for it? Pay for what? The cost went up a whopping $30 to in order to give much better fittings. Of course that is up for debate. Getting the handicap involved didn't raise the cost of anything or have anything to do with it. They work on many different things. We also are the only manufacturer in the USA for glow plugs. All the glow plugs you see out there that are made in the USA are made right here but boxed as many other MAJOR companies products. They are all packaged by the handicap as well. We just think providing handicap with a job they are capable of doing is the correct thing to do. And gives them and their families a better opportunity at things.

Just want you to know. I'm not at all defensive. I enjoy hearing what you have to say. I just give you our side of things. We play devils advocate to each and thats how things develope and get better. So don't think I'm in any way upset.

Last edited by 2Tone12V; 10-14-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #29
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
If plastic fittings are inferior then why does every vehicle manufacurer use them and have used them for the past, idk 20yrs.... Hell you're 04 dodge has plastic fitting going to the tank as well.

How many of you have removed the factory plastic quick connects on your older trucks and never had them break? I know i've done 2 96 trucks, 2 98s and a 94 and have never had one break, even when the factory steel line was rotted.

If you want to mount the AD in a location that is not per the instructions, then imo you are responsible for any extra hose you will need not Pureflow. The bases are the same as the old one, so you can just screw some AN fittings into it. So again if you decide to do something custom or outside the box, you will be responsible to get what you need to do so.

Also the masses out there are not as "mechanically inclined" as yourself. So i ask why should they only cater to you? Imo if you don't like the quick connect fittings cut them off and get barbed ones. Now keep in mind that there have been some people that have complained that after a while the hose starts to crack and leak around the barb... so you decide, do you want Jap crap barbed fittings or USA made quick disconnects...

Old 10-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
theonlyz

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
You could atleast offer some universal kits...old style plumbing found in the dodge kits, Chevy/Duramax style wiring harness, new price if money is the issue, just for the guys that like customizing their trucks.
I absolutely AGREE!!!! You should offer both new and old or a universal kit with the hard connection letting the end user do what they want.
04 Dodge Cummins QCSB 4X4, TC diesels extreme rail and dprv's, Exergy injectors 80% over, Wicked Diesels Coolant Bypass, AirDog 150, Garmon's competition transmission, and Full Engine build by Garmon's thats balanced and studded top to bottom with only the best inside

Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #31
theonlyz

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If plastic fittings are inferior then why does every vehicle manufacurer use them and have used them for the past, idk 20yrs.... Hell you're 04 dodge has plastic fitting going to the tank as well. I know of a friend who had one that was broke.1995 model(may have been his fault not sure I wasnt there.), I had one on my 1999 that I bought that was causing air to get into the system causing hard starts but the air dog solved that and that was the reason for purchase. Also Ive heard of others on one the forums with one broken/cracked connection, so it not unheard of or likely but it happens. I never said my truck didnt have them

How many of you have removed the factory plastic quick connects on your older trucks and never had them break? I know i've done 2 96 trucks, 2 98s and a 94 and have never had one break, even when the factory steel line was rotted.

If you want to mount the AD in a location that is not per the instructions, then imo you are responsible for any extra hose you will need not Pureflow.Never said it was their responsibility to give me more hose or other parts outside of the contents in the box unless something wasnt included. The bases are the same as the old one, so you can just screw some AN fittings into it. So again if you decide to do something custom or outside the box, you will be responsible to get what you need to do so.

Also the masses out there are not as "mechanically inclined" as yourself. So i ask why should they only cater to you? Why shouldnt they if they dont know something as simple as that then why should they even be near a truck or under it for that matter. Hell I bet they cant even change or dont change their own oil. They get it changed at Wally World while getting their groceriesImo if you don't like the quick connect fittings cut them off and get barbed ones. Now keep in mind that there have been some people that have complained that after a while the hose starts to crack and leak around the barb... so you decide, do you want Jap crap barbed fittings or USA made quick disconnects...
I did notice that on my 01 before I sold it the blue hose thats included in the kit with the supplied barbed fittings was starting to crack really bad also so what do you have to say to that? None of that was jap junk

Old 10-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #32
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I absolutely AGREE!!!! You should offer both new and old or a universal kit with the hard connection letting the end user do what they want.
You can buy all those fittings locally and do the custom install that you are wanting. When you are trying to build productively. That isn't a smart move. Change over takes time, time is money. You would then have to double the amount of kits you already have and double all the part numbers as well. Just imagine how many kits would be shipped wrong. Imagine how many kits there would be if we didn't use the splices and we had a kit for each truck length. You would then have to ask the customer 10 questions before you could even figure out what kit he needed to fit the truck. Then if one things is off and they get the wrong kit. Who's paying to ship it back and to ship him another one?? If we only sold 1 or 2 units a day it was be easy.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
You have to keep in mind that the amount of people that put these on themselves is very high. Some of these guys have no business putting fuel in their trucks but they do anyway. If you were to look at it from a manufacturers point of view you would understand. I think you would be amazed the amount of phone calls we get per day that are about installs. How much tape do I put on the JIC fittings?
What is the torque spec on the JIC fittings?
I can't get my pipe thread fitting to go all the way in and I have tightened it really hard. Whats wrong?

Trust me, its happens all day long every day. We had to do something to take some thinking out of it. Taking on more man power to get things done costs money and only makes the cost of the kits go up even more. Less staff that gets more work done is much better.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #34
theonlyz

Member`s Gallery
[/COLOR]
Quote:
1. Not defensive. You guys are giving me the cons and I'm giving you reasoning behind it thats all. Remember your reading the computer screen. I'm all smiles here man. Same hereThis is how you find out what is the best and develope it. Now Ill answer to your answers.

2. You say the connections on TANK break all the time?Never said all the time I said it can happen Thats the male end attached to the canister your speaking of. We are providing the female end. Thats not the quick connect that has anything to do with an AirDog install and never has. The quick connect that was provided before was metal with PLASTIC internals that didn't fit snug at all. And cheap plastic isn't the case. Again they are much more expensive than all those fittings. You want to see cheap plastic, take a look at what they used in those fittings. Very low grade plastic that just flopped around inside the metal fitting.

3. As for the quick connects and their durability. I go back yet again and let you know these are quick connects that are used on every new truck out there. If you don't have a fuel system on your truck your truck contains these same quick connects. And I'm assuming they do not give them issues if they are not worried about replacing them. This isn't a new untested product or anything. These have been used and proven for years. As for the salt, heat, cold, etc. My answer is the same as above. IF there is an issue. A simple o ring will fix it. Just saying I prefer the old connections because of how I hook mine up

4. Your answer to the breaking and not being able to go up town and get new ones. Cut the quick connect off and put the push locks you prefer on there. Its the same hose as used before. But until it happens my statement is the same as #3 and #2.Well that kind of defeats the purpose of buying this kit with the quick connects if you have to end up cutting them off I believe you are thinking these is something new.nope Yes it is new to AirDog. But not new to any of our vehicles. The quick connects are not an issue on the trucks now. Why would they be an issue in an AirDog kit?I dont use those old connections for fuel draw I use the new draw straw

5. When you say why does the end user have to pay for it? Pay for what?The extra cost of something Im not going to use in the first place The cost went up a whopping $30 to in order to give much better fittings.That I dont need or will use Of course that is up for debate. Getting the handicap involved didn't raise the cost of anything or have anything to do with it.I thought you said you went to this design because it was more simple for them to put the kits together because before they were leaving parts out but maybe Im wrong. Why did you even bring them up what do they have to do with this in the first place we are talking about product not employees They work on many different things. We also are the only manufacturer in the USA for glow plugs. All the glow plugs you see out there that are made in the USA are made right here but boxed as many other MAJOR companies products. They are all packaged by the handicap as well. We just think providing handicap with a job they are capable of doing is the correct thing to do. And gives them and their families a better opportunity at things. Again thats great they get that oportunity we do the same thing here on base for them but none of this belongs in this

Just want you to know. I'm not at all defensive. I enjoy hearing what you have to say. I just give you our side of things. We play devils advocate to each and thats how things develope and get better. So don't think I'm in any way upset.
Nope I dont I just hope to see a do it urself kit that would be great for some of us.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
theonlyz

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You have to keep in mind that the amount of people that put these on themselves is very high. Some of these guys have no business putting fuel in their trucks but they do anyway.: I agree and some fail at that If you were to look at it from a manufacturers point of view you would understand. I think you would be amazed the amount of phone calls we get per day that are about installs. How much tape do I put on the JIC fittings?
What is the torque spec on the JIC fittings?
I can't get my pipe thread fitting to go all the way in and I have tightened it really hard. Whats wrong?I can only imagine the calls you get we get some really stupid ones at our shop. It was comical at first now its just a hassle with the kind of calls that come in along with the yahoos of the street

Trust me, its happens all day long every day. We had to do something to take some thinking out of it. Taking on more man power to get things done costs money and only makes the cost of the kits go up even more. Less staff that gets more work done is much better.
So do you guys have any of the old systems left on the self or am I going to have to go to stupidbay

Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #36
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
You may not even be able to get them on ebay. I know our distributors go through pallets of them every couple days. You might find one randomly. Give the new ones a shot. You will like them. Can't knock it til you try it. I did like hearing all of this. Thats why I asked. Good or bad I can handle it and I take all this to meetings and bring it up. I ask the same questions to others in the company and leave my feeling out of it. So I get their honest opinions then I ask questions about their answers. We work very good as a team here and most don't know but anything you say to me or suggest. I take notes of it and discuss it when the time comes.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #37
Torque Monkey

Name: Torque Monkey
Title: The show stopper!!!!!
Member`s Gallery
I just ordered an "old style" 150 yesterday. There are still a few out there but not much.

This kit is for me. I have another aftermarket system that I am replacing. The only reason I chose the old style set up is I plan to use some of the Air Dog stuff and some of the existing stuff.

I can see how the quick connects would be very nice. However I like to mount things where I want them to be and don't mind changing this a little to get it there. I also have never called for help.

If you are looking for feedback, it would be nice to have one of those couplers you showed picks of with an 1/8" NPT port drilled in the side. I like to take fuel pressure right at the CP3 or VP44 of what ever else. Just a suggestion. I usually make my own.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #38
1lowdiesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I did notice that on my 01 before I sold it the blue hose thats included in the kit with the supplied barbed fittings was starting to crack really bad also so what do you have to say to that? None of that was jap junk
Ummm, that's pretty much the same thing i said some people were complaining about. With the new crimp fittings there's no chance of the barbs causing cracks in the lines. Look at all hyd companies that are out there that make hoses, you don't see them going bad after a few years, and those are run at much higher pressures.

In response to your "these people shouldn't be around a diesel truck" Those people keep the industry going as much as the guys here. Every time someone gets into a diesel truck that hasn't had one before it's another possible future generation in the diesel industry. Believe me the percentage of people that are clueless about diesel performance yet own a diesel truck and buy product, is much larger then the people that are "into it". So once again the manufactures cater to the masses.

When it's all said and done unless you've used the new kit, you really don't have much room to talk cause you're baseing all your thoughts off speculation. I'd be willing to bet that if you did get one of the new kits and installed it according to the instructions you'd prolly step back and say... wow that was much easier than i thought.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #39
theonlyz

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for keeping an open mind and listening. I still would like to see a general kit but I doubt there is that large of a market out there for people like me that want them.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #40
theonlyz

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ummm, that's pretty much the same thing i said some people were complaining about. With the new crimp fittings there's no chance of the barbs causing cracks in the lines. Look at all hyd companies that are out there that make hoses, you don't see them going bad after a few years, and those are run at much higher pressures.

In response to your "these people shouldn't be around a diesel truck" Those people keep the industry going as much as the guys here. Every time someone gets into a diesel truck that hasn't had one before it's another possible future generation in the diesel industry. Believe me the percentage of people that are clueless about diesel performance yet own a diesel truck and buy product, is much larger then the people that are "into it". So once again the manufactures cater to the masses. True Im just giving my thoughts

When it's all said and done unless you've used the new kit, you really don't have much room to talk cause you're baseing all your thoughts off speculation. I'd be willing to bet that if you did get one of the new kits and installed it according to the instructions you'd prolly step back and say... wow that was much easier than i thought. Your absolutely wrong. Your missing what Im getting at. I dont want it mounted on the frame rail where the directions suggest. Which is the place where its getting rocks and all kinds of debris thrown at it. My biggest complaint is having to spend more for things that will either get hacked or just thrown out. The new system maybe great and all but its not for someone who wants to customize even further turning something that is better into even better.
Your right I havent tried it and I wont because its pointless for my aplication. Im not talking out my azz Im stating why it wont work for me.

Closed Thread