Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
0360army

Name: 0360army
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
6.0L Broken question/comments

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my 6.0. I suppose its my own fault for running 38lbs on stock head bolts and hot lapping it at the track. My heads were straight but I basically melted everything under the hood. I just finished rebuiilding the tope end and am about 7K deep into the project but have built it with arp headstuds and new harnesses. When I got it back it wasn't getting oil pressure and after some further invectigation we found pieces of the piston in the oil pan. I am now going to have to rebuild the lower end. Nem cam, pistons, rings and bearings, and possibly bore it out to a 6.4. Anyone have ideas for a good set of pistons? ANy experience with boring these things out? I am trying to figure out if I should rebuild or just get a junkyard engine and start over? cheapest option, comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
heinzboy

Name: heinzboy
Title: Slappy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0360army View Post
Hey Guys,
I am in the process of a complete rebuild on my 6.0. I suppose its my own fault for running 38lbs on stock head bolts and hot lapping it at the track. My heads were straight but I basically melted everything under the hood. I just finished rebuiilding the tope end and am about 7K deep into the project but have built it with arp headstuds and new harnesses. When I got it back it wasn't getting oil pressure and after some further invectigation we found pieces of the piston in the oil pan. I am now going to have to rebuild the lower end. Nem cam, pistons, rings and bearings, and possibly bore it out to a 6.4. Anyone have ideas for a good set of pistons? ANy experience with boring these things out? I am trying to figure out if I should rebuild or just get a junkyard engine and start over? cheapest option, comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Cheapest route would be to get a junkyard engine.

2005 KingRanch Dually Modded
2006 F250 CC Modded
2005 BMW M3 Competition Edition
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Electric Glide Modded
2008 Huffy 20" bicycle
2008 Escalade EXT
I WOULD RATHER BE DEAD THAN AVERAGE

Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Dalpilot

Name: Dalpilot
Title: Joe Nobody!
Member`s Gallery
The largest pistons available are 40 over from Mahle. 6.4's won't work, wrist pins are too big in the 6.4. I would go junkyard engine. I have pretty much everything you need in my garage sans block for your lower end. PM me if your interested, and I'll see what I have for you. If your gonna do the rebuild, go very mild on the cam, and reduce your compression height on the pistons.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
dukcaln

Name: dukcaln
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
cummins conversion
04.5 LLY ECSB 4WD-Ram Air Hood-3" Drop on 22's w/Fox 2.0's-Kryptonite Tie Rods/SS Center Link-HSP Intake-HSP Turbo Inlet-HSP Hot/Cold Pipes-FASS-150-FASS Bowl Delete-Beans Sump-PPE Fuel Mods-DMAXSTORE Stage 5 Trans-Idaho Robs EFI Live

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Gibson

Name: Gibson
Title: There's no love in diesel
Member`s Gallery
I have a good 03 cam. Interested?

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins QC SRW

Old 04-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
The Blue Beast

Name: The Blue Beast
Title: Darren
Member`s Gallery
I just rebuilt 20 over, with mahles. I am very happy with the results. Still breaking it in right now tho. Mine is a 6.1 now.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
juiced305diesel

Name: juiced305diesel
Title: Strokin'!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0360army View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm rebuilding mine now too, but I'm not looking for an all-out build either. Am I going to need 7k to just rebuild my head??? I havent melted anything except some rings I dont plan on changing the cam...
'05 CC SB 2x4: afe Stg2, zoodad, sct xcal2, arp's, egr gone, stock motor, stock turbo, stock fuel, stock dp open, stock trans, custom setup. Lowered 3"/5", blacked out taillights, clarion indash(removed by thief), tints, 2 12" subs pushing 1600watts

Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
juiced305diesel

Name: juiced305diesel
Title: Strokin'!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Beast View Post
I just rebuilt 20 over, with mahles. I am very happy with the results. Still breaking it in right now tho. Mine is a 6.1 now.
What have you noticed that is a difference? How many miles on a rebuild break in?
'05 CC SB 2x4: afe Stg2, zoodad, sct xcal2, arp's, egr gone, stock motor, stock turbo, stock fuel, stock dp open, stock trans, custom setup. Lowered 3"/5", blacked out taillights, clarion indash(removed by thief), tints, 2 12" subs pushing 1600watts

Old 04-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
The Blue Beast

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced305diesel View Post
What have you noticed that is a difference? How many miles on a rebuild break in?

I drove it 210 miles and it only burnt a quarter tank of fuel stock. Right now i have about 240 miles on the engine since it was fired. I noticed it has some more spunk at the bottom end, also seems to accelerate a little faster. It has the most power i think it has had since i got it. It sounds a little bit different at a idle. Other than that, i haven't noticed much.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
The Blue Beast

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced305diesel View Post
I'm rebuilding mine now too, but I'm not looking for an all-out build either. Am I going to need 7k to just rebuild my head??? I havent melted anything except some rings I dont plan on changing the cam...
I rebuilt mine got all new pistons, bored the block, all new bearings (including cam bearings). Reused my studs, resealed everything. Also got the heads checked, and had them take a little off to make sure, all the seats vacuum tested, magna fluxed for cracks. The engine and heads cooked and cleaned. New lpop gears, and I rebuilt it myself for a lot less then 7k. Sanded and painted the engine to boot, and i ported the exhaust manifolds and ported and polished the intake myself. I wished that i would of had the heads ported and polished.

Closed Thread