Compressor Housing Leak

Tate

What?
I'm in the process of working the bugs out of the set of triples I just built. Its two HE351's feeding a HE341. Current issue is one of the primary turbos has a huge leak between the compressor and bearing cartridge. To the point I really can't do a leak check on the whole system.

I cleaned it up well, and applied some Permatex gasket eliminator (looks like grape jelly), but no luck at this point. Whats the solution here? It develops a very audible whine or squeal around 2 psi on a leak check, and you can feel the air pouring out. The other primary has a leak as well, but not nearly as bad. Haven't been able to check the secondary yet.

I'd run it some and get some heat in them then keep tightening the clamp/bolts for that charger.

No dice on that, the HE turbos have a large snap ring on the back to retain it. I had it out for a boot two days ago and got it pretty warm (forgot I still had the winter grille covers in), but heat was no friend in that. I've smeared some RTV in there and letting it set currently, I'll pressure test it tomorrow and see if it worked.

surfaces are likely corroded heavily. We cut oring grooves on the bearing housing when they get to that point. Get the right stuff and glue that thing on. Or get the 7.3 oil pan sealant if you feel brave. That stuff will seal any leak it seems.

Dont those have an o-ring that seals them? Id check that first... then just make sure the snap ring is seated all the way. It should have a tapered snap ring, so the further it goes into the groove the tighter it pulls the housings together. I use a punch to drive the ring in sometimes.

Negative on the o-rings, all three are ringless, and based on the condition I got the chargers in, have never been apart. Corrosion shouldn't be an issue, I blasted the housings, and I've emoried the CHRA flange faces so they are quite clean.

I'll have to look into the oil pan sealant at a later date. I'm just doing a trial run of this set to fix any issues, then will get the pieces powder coated, then glue them together final.

I got on the snap ring with a heel bar to seat it in deeper. I'm gonna go give it a pressure test shortly, hopefully it sealed up better.

Back