05 swapping into an 08

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
So I have a running and driving 05 5.9 quad cab. I'm headed to pick up an 08 6.7 mega cab roller this weekend. Can I swap over all of my 05 wiring into the 08? I'm guessing there will be some cutting and splicing somewhere correct? If so what will I need? My truck is a stick with a manual 4x4. The 08 truck was an auto with electronic 4x4. I will use any parts of the 05 to swap over. I feel like it's not going to be as easy as I want it to be :badidea:

I don't see why you couldn't. Use the 05 motor and put all the electronics from the 08 on it. Then all you have to do is maybe tune it.

I hope the it's plug and play at the firewall but I feel like its not going to be. Luckily I have a good friend that's good at wiring/diagrams and understands it much better than I do.

Last edited:
Wow. It's going to be all uphill. Pretty much everything is different. Start at the ignition module from the 05 and go from there.

If the $900 will save me the headache I will buy a reman one. I just saw the 08’s are programmed to the actual truck. So I will most likely scratch that idea and just buy a tipm. So what about the engine harness? Are they at least somewhat similar? How much cut and splicing will I be doing? If anyone has done it before?

If the $900 will save me the headache I will buy a reman one. I just saw the 08’s are programmed to the actual truck. So I will most likely scratch that idea and just buy a tipm. So what about the engine harness? Are they at least somewhat similar? How much cut and splicing will I be doing? If anyone has done it before?

It would be a lot better if you had all the electronics from the 08. You could pretty much plug and play there. The truck would have no idea that you replaced the 6.7 with the 5.9.

Snedge would I use the 5.9 ecm,fca, and injector harness?

also I would like to use the 5.9 ecm, gauge cluster, and vin tag to stay away from the emissions if possible.

Edit: Once I get to see the truck and see if most of the wiring harness is there. I'm more of a visual person. I have to see both harnesses side by side to make sense of anything.

Last edited:
Snedge would I use the 5.9 ecm,fca, and injector harness?

also I would like to use the 5.9 ecm, gauge cluster, and vin tag to stay away from the emissions if possible.

Edit: Once I get to see the truck and see if most of the wiring harness is there. I'm more of a visual person. I have to see both harnesses side by side to make sense of anything.

Assuming the 5.9 is the 325 HP version, that is the ECM and harness I would attempt to use. I know there is a voltage difference between the 5.9 and 6.7 injectors, but I don't believe it's enough to cause an issue.

Assuming the 5.9 is the 325 HP version, that is the ECM and harness I would attempt to use. I know there is a voltage difference between the 5.9 and 6.7 injectors, but I don't believe it's enough to cause an issue.

I was reading about there is a difference. I would have to have my truck retuned I believe. So before I start the process I am returning the turning back to the stock file to be safe.

I was reading about there is a difference. I would have to have my truck retuned I believe. So before I start the process I am returning the turning back to the stock file to be safe.

Smart. Start from scratch, that way when/if you have issues, the tune is not a suspect. :Cheer:

Smart. Start from scratch, that way when/if you have issues, the tune is not a suspect. :Cheer:

You'll probably be getting some calls from me in the semi near future. new oil pan, new return line from the back of the head and a few other things.

Edit: After some more research. the 6.7 injectors need a higher voltage to fire the solenoids and the 5.9 ecm uses a lower voltage output for the injectors. So that's not a concern. I will use the 5.9 ecm. Also it seems like to easiest thing is to use the 6.7 sensors so I will be buying those as needed (If the harness is still intact in that 08 chassis)

Last edited:
Does anyone know the measurement from the front of the bell housing where it mates to the motor to the center of the shift tower on a G56? trying to see how different in length they are.

so I got a response on CF and found out that 05 ecm has a different buss communication verses 6.7 so I could not use a 6.7 tipm. I would have to use 05 everything.

Another hair brained thought was 06-07 ecm and tipm. The 06-07 tipm might plug into the 08 plugs

Back