Tag trailer big enough for EC LWB?

If you're really worried about swaying put a weight dist hitch with an anti sway bar on.

Too funny. Ever heard of leverage? Those puny little gimmick "anti-sway" friction pads or cams or what ever couldn't control any trailer that weighs more than a thousand pounds.

Too funny. Ever heard of leverage? Those puny little gimmick "anti-sway" friction pads or cams or what ever couldn't control any trailer that weighs more than a thousand pounds.

Son, I have spent my whole life towing trailers. How about you gimmick on out of here?

Son, I have spent my whole life towing trailers. How about you gimmick on out of here?

First, I'm not your son. If my dad had pulled trailers all his life he'd be smart enough to know that "sway control" is a myth perpetuated by hitch manufacturers to make more money. I have about a half million miles logged pulling pulling tag trailers with a pickup, and it took a lot less than my whole life. A simple weight distribution hitch is all that is needed for heavy tag trailers. If one sways it is either loaded incorrectly or has a mechanical fault. Neither will be cured by a gimmick hitch. L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E, get it?

Mark, if you'll remember, Joe pulled Bandit hundreds of miles on a bumper pull behind that old red OBS F350 for years. Never had any real problems and you know how he drives......

That premier is junk...look how small the tongue channels are!

TAG is great as long as it is loaded correctly. You really need extra deck space or custom axle placement to make it work with a non uniform load (IE heavy front end Dodge truck).

10-15% OF TOTAL LOAD should be your towing tongue weight. Have an engineering buddy run a static load distribution based on the truck location to see if it works.

I have 100k driving 90 plus with my race trailer (10k loaded)...never an issue.

BTW, if you can tell me axle placement from the ball for both trailer axles and both the truck on top axles, I can calculate your tongue weight for you. I made an excel spreadsheet for this years ago.

I made it for round bales but can be modified easy enough.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
...and to think all along you were just as dumb as me. :hehe:

A tag or bumper pull trailer creates a bending moment around the rear axle. The force down behind the rear tires acts to create the moment and pull weight/mass from the front wheels (I.E. sled pulling) The purpose of the load leveling bars/stabilizer bars is to counteract this moment. Therefore, the more tongue weight/mass the stronger the moment.

A gooseneck trailer does none of the above. It simply creates a force down on between the front and rear axle.

Last edited:
First, I'm not your son. If my dad had pulled trailers all his life he'd be smart enough to know that "sway control" is a myth perpetuated by hitch manufacturers to make more money. I have about a half million miles logged pulling pulling tag trailers with a pickup, and it took a lot less than my whole life. A simple weight distribution hitch is all that is needed for heavy tag trailers. If one sways it is either loaded incorrectly or has a mechanical fault. Neither will be cured by a gimmick hitch. L-E-V-E-R-A-G-E, get it?

Gotta tell you I tow a 36' travel trailer. Traded a 33' for the 36'. All I used to use was a weight distribution hitch. When I left the dealer with the new 36' trailer, if I even thought about going over 60 mph the truck would start whipping. I now pull with a Reece dual cam sway control distribution hitch. It wiggles just a slight bit when the semis pass me going 75. So you saying sway control don't work maybe you should try something besides the flimsy friction style sway control.

We bought a 34.5' travel trailer.....to save money on a fifth wheel....NEVER AGAIN.

F...TAG TRAILERS.

Distribution hitch with proper set-up or not...they still suck. $.02

I spend less time figuring out where to plop 50k on my semi trailer than you guys do arguing over tag vs GN. FTR if you back on a tag and stop the front axle of the truck over top of the rear trailer axle your weight dist will be close to good.

Last edited:
We bought a 34.5' travel trailer.....to save money on a fifth wheel....NEVER AGAIN.

F...TAG TRAILERS.

Distribution hitch with proper set-up or not...they still suck. $.02

Jory what kind of problem are you having with the travel trailer? I know fifth wheels are better. I used to have a 33' 5er. Pulling our trailer with the wife's megacab dually it don't sway at all. When I pull it with my company truck (2010 Chevy 3500 non dually) that thing is all over with out sway control.

[ame="http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/cerickson1978/media/IMG_20170214_135736356_HDR_zpsv3n0fuos.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0"]IMG_20170214_135736356_HDR_zpsv3n0fuos.jpg Photo by cerickson1978 | Photobucket[/ame]

This is how we fixed the problem:

Built_Lowboy.jpg

built_lowboy_2.jpg

built_lowboy_3.jpg

I can now haul two pieces of equipment at a time and never come close to doing a wheelie. :rockwoot:

This is about as short as I could get it. Here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, things aren't always so easy and I can't drive truck worth a crap.

Last edited:
I had a gooseneck flatdeck with single tire axles I used to haul my race truck on and it pulled awesome. I use a tag trailer thats 6 lug axle now (10.5gvw) thats a hole lot lighter and pulls alot better because of that, just hauled a eclb 2nd Gen dually on it and pulled great. Dont get me wrong goosenecks are always going to pull better at weight but if that truck is the heaviest your going to tow do you want to pull all the extra weight. And keep your old man cap.

A bumper pull, deck over tilt would move the axels forward to lessen tongue weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back