How do you index the throttle and why does my engine die when I give it throttle?

Begle1

How are you supposed to index the governor shaft if you're starting from scratch?

And does a mis-indexed throttle explain why my engine idles but dies when I give it any throttle? How'd I screw that up?

Assuming you're running a 3200 governor-spring that hasn't been trimmed, place the throttle-lever on the shaft such the the slot on the end of the shaft is in line with the center line of the group on the throttle-lever.
-->> Have the main fuel-screw well backed out. I mean backed WAY out. Like you can almost see the O-ring on the fuel-screw backed out.

With the throttle-linkage connected as it should be, etc (as a initial starting point). Try starting it. It shouldn't if the main fuel-screw is well backed out.

Turn in the fuel-screw one full turn and try starting it. Continue as such using one turn increments of the fuel-screw.
If everything is close to being right, advancing the fuel-screw as such should have you eventually get to the point the engine comes up to idle.

That'll get you well in the general ball-park as it were. From that point, you'll need to work out getting maximum fueling while staying within the confines of the throttle-linkage assembly including adjustments.

I got it to work by finding the point where the governor shaft was turned as wide open as it could go, and then putting the throttle lever on the shaft so that I could make sure it was turning to the fullest point by the time the throttle lever was maxed out.

Basically just make sure you get the WFO point right, and then the idle point should be okay too (you might need to play with the low idle screw, usually backed all the way off if the main fuel screw is turned all the way in).

My first few tries of "just stick it on there and hope you get lucky" definitely wasn't the way to do it. Although I can't figure out how I got into a position where it idled but then died when I gave it throttle, does that make sense?

Back