2000 Excursion 24v

I can look tomorrow. The only thing that comes to mind is maybe the track bar and drag link may be in the way if you drop it down that far. Thanks for the info on those X code springs. They lifted the front by at least 2" from the stock springs.

Yep, you guys know the story. She still isn't done yet. I've been doing some other odd jobs making extra coin, cleaning and scrapping, and of course working on the Ex. I decided to replace the front leaf springs with X code ones which will raise the front 2". I had to do this to get clearance in between the bump stop and leaf spring. Excursions had dearched leaf springs to get them to fit into standard garages. This project turned into new ball joints, new axle U-joints, seals for the axles, and inner axle seals as well as a ring and pinion swap. The cost of the seals on these front axles is rediculous! $125 for 4 seals my cost, and the inners are $44ea my cost. Plus you have to make or buy seal drivers to put them all in. I decided to purchase the vac seals and I got by without an installer for the inner axle seals. The ring and pinion swap was another PITA! Dana uses a long crush sleeve on 4.30 gear sets in a D50, but on 4.10 and down they do not use one. Guess what, like 0 people knew this. Yee haw. LOL

20131126_121524.jpg

I painted the RH battery tray. Got tired of the crusty look.

20131126_121532.jpg

The inner axle seals are a PITA to get out. You just can't drive them out from the axle tube because these SOB's have a plastic seal saver that presses in from the axle tube side and you'll damage them. My LH axle seal saver was broken so I just knocked it all out. The RH side was a fiasco. Here's how I got the RH side out.

20131212_113833.jpg

20131212_113847.jpg

So now I have the vac seals installed, ball joints installed, axle u-joints installed, inner seals installed, and finally the 3.54 ring and pinion installed and set up. Now I can put the front axle back together and try to get this thing wrapped up. I wanted to drive it before Christmas, but I am thinking if that happens, it won't be totally finished. At this point I'm good with that. LOL

The ring and pinion are in finally and set up! What a battle that was. This morning I put the RH side back together and tomorrow I'll do the left side. I'm going to try to get as much done to it as I can to see if I can drive it by Tuesday..................

20131220_122349.jpg

20131220_122356.jpg

20131220_122402.jpg

I eliminated the vacuum assist lock auto lock outs and installed manual ones. The auto ones would have been nicer for the wife, but I couldn't find a reasonably priced multi function vacuum switch to accomadate the system and just opted to ditch the sticky original lock outs.

I totally forgot about this thread. This thing has been on the road for about 4-5 months. I had some issues with the lift pump I originally tried using, and then I broke a tooth off the rear ring gear. Other than that, it's been great. It weighs 8660 with a full tank of fuel and no one in it. What a tank. :)

Here is after I put in the add a leaf.

20131223_111621.jpg

This was when the lift pump crapped. The night before it was -12* before wind chill and the fuel gelled, even with additive.

20140107_115911.jpg

20140107_115842.jpg

20140107_115826.jpg

20140107_115814.jpg

20140107_115806.jpg

20140105_161058.jpg

Last edited:
I used 1st gen engine mounts and my coolant reservoir won't clear fan..

On this one I used Auto World mounts. The fan has plenty of clearance from it to the radiator. The down side, they have the engine so far back and so high it is a SOB to do the return line in the head. Also, if you want to remove the valve cover, you have to remove the trans mount. I should have just built my own. :(

Here are some updated pics of it.

20140613_101515.jpg

20140613_101501.jpg

20140613_101431.jpg

nice looking Ex I'm liking the VE pumped 24v..funny thing is was just thinking of what it would take to go the other way VP pumped 12v.. :nail:

Thanks guys. It's been getting around 18 but the wife doesn't really keep track. I have ridden in it a couple times the past couple of weeks and that is it. I'm jealous. :)

We've put 28k on this so far and the only casualties have been the airtex crapped out 2 falls ago so I installed an AD150, and a cracked conversion injection line at the end of April this spring. I had some time serts on hand so I figured I'd just throw stock VP lines on it since everyone says they'll fit. Yeah, they'll fit if you have an intercooled VE IP. The lines lacked 3/4-1" from fitting. I rebent a #3 line and got it to work, but it isn't perfect. Now I need to get another line made.

Last edited:
That turned out really sharp looking.

18 m/g is pretty good for how much weight it's pushing around.

How much money you figure you have in the VE conversion?

That turned out really sharp looking.

18 m/g is pretty good for how much weight it's pushing around.

How much money you figure you have in the VE conversion?

Other than the conversion lines, paying to rebuild the injection pump, and 3 lift pumps, I had everything else already. But for the lines, rebuilt IP, and the last lift pump, that's about $1750 worth of stuff right there.

Back