Exhaust leaks with Steed Manifold

A warped head wouldn't have anything to do with it leaking it must be the brand new manifold right? If the exh side of the head is warped or pitted and the manifold won't conform to the head then its not going to seal. My bet is the head wasn't checked before the manifold was put on.

Must be something your doing. If it was wide spread, everybody would be complaining. I would use the factory multi layer gasket also. Replace all 6 when you do them and torque them down together to get a good seal. Never ever seen a head that needed to be machined flat, but it could happen I guess. Also, check the manifold with a straight edge to see if it is straight. IF you have a good flat table you can set it on that. If you tighten it down incorrectly, you can warp it which will require machining to get it straight again. Personally, I would pull it and check it to see if it is flat. If it is not, you will always be replacing gaskets.

A warped head wouldn't have anything to do with it leaking it must be the brand new manifold right? If the exh side of the head is warped or pitted and the manifold won't conform to the head then its not going to seal. My bet is the head wasn't checked before the manifold was put on.

Head was checked at machine shop. Manifold was reused from old setup with no issues prior. This was installation error. Still need to order a new set of gaskets as I have a feeling these were reused...

Must be something your doing. If it was wide spread, everybody would be complaining. I would use the factory multi layer gasket also. Replace all 6 when you do them and torque them down together to get a good seal. Never ever seen a head that needed to be machined flat, but it could happen I guess. Also, check the manifold with a straight edge to see if it is straight. IF you have a good flat table you can set it on that. If you tighten it down incorrectly, you can warp it which will require machining to get it straight again. Personally, I would pull it and check it to see if it is flat. If it is not, you will always be replacing gaskets.

Will check the manifold when I pull it to replace the gaskets. I think its fine.

General concensus here goes to Cummins mulitlayer gaskets then?

2B0A42F1-78B5-4BED-B094-E08CA1029A2F-3794-000006668EF0419B.jpg

one layer of the seperated gasket...

Cheap single layer gaskets are likely to leak from my experience. Although i have had some that dont obviously. Buy the good cummins multilayer gaskets and you wont have any issues. never had a failure yet on leaking and ive done quite a few swaps in the last few years.

MLS gaskets. Only the best. Genuine Cummins.

Yes Mls, they are the best, pricey to buy individual, if you can find an excuse to buy a whole top end gasket kit you save a bit of $$

think they are almost 16$ a piece

Fleet Pride has a gasket that is slightly larger than the stock Cummins gasket as far as the port goes. Fastenal has a set screw that is the same tpi as the manifold bolts. Use the set screw as a stud with a lock washer and nut. Together they work pretty good imho.

Bah. I blew half of a genuine Cummins T-4 gasket apart the other day. Replaced them with Arnold Palmer gaskets. So far I have 4 miles on them and they're working great.

Attachments

• IMG-20121118-01269.jpg
    IMG-20121118-01269.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
Fleet Pride has a gasket that is slightly larger than the stock Cummins gasket as far as the port goes. Fastenal has a set screw that is the same tpi as the manifold bolts. Use the set screw as a stud with a lock washer and nut. Together they work pretty good imho.

Do you have more info on said studs, or do I need to take a bolt in and match it?

Yes Mls, they are the best, pricey to buy individual, if you can find an excuse to buy a whole top end gasket kit you save a bit of $$

think they are almost 16$ a piece

The stupid part is 24V multi layer Cummins gaskets are about 1/3 the price of a 12V gasket.

Single layer metal gasket out of a Interstate mcbee top end kit and no problems. My steed has been on for ~4,500miles.

Back