removing dash obd2 guages only?

M249cummins

I a building a open class puller for fun and don't care to be competitive...about 800hp-900hp and my dash is all cracked and missing chunks and half the gauges don't work anyway. I was planning to put a universal aluminum dash from jegs in there and I would like to still monitor my oil psi, coolant temp, voltage, speed and ect but don't want a ton of gauges. do you think it would work fairly well to hook a tablet up to the obd2 port and use the tablet as my instrument cluster? ideally I would love a motec system but that can be a few thousand dollars vs $300 for the obd2 and tablet I already have.

I've never done it but it should work just fine as long as you have the software to read the ECU/PCM whatever Dodge calls it.

What about one of the edge CT-s units that just monitors? They come up fairly cheap used and you wouldn't need to purchase the software for your laptop.

It is a 1999 RCLB 5spd. I just assumed a lot of people have done this before. I have egt, boost and fuel psi on my pillar. I already have a tablet I don't use I can use as a dedicated instrument cluster. The only gauges I plan to get individually is a Autometer tach, Air/Water intercooler water temp and a fuel guage possibly. Most of it will fit on a 8"x6" tablet.

I thought about the edge too but like to have a bigger screen. i will look into the edge a little more.

I do the same thing on one of my play trucks. $50 bluetooth link between the OBD2 port and the tablet and a couple of free apps will get you most of what you're going to want.

I mostly use Torque Pro which I think I had to pay a coupe of bucks for, but I cannot read oil pressure. The truck that it's on is also a 99, so that will give you an idea of what it's capable of.

The Edge monitors do allow you to read oil pressure and a couple other parameters that the free apps don't offer. I heard at one time that Edge was talking about selling their software so users could download it on their personal tablets, but I don't know if that ever became a reality.

I looked into the edge cts2 and I think that is the route I want to go. seems cheap enough and I'm willing to bet there is not as much lag in gauges as a Bluetooth app will have.

Back