Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Synergygreen12v

Name: Synergygreen12v
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Nv4500 to 47re swap I'm clueless

I have a 98 12 valve with an nv4500 that I'm getting sick of so a friend of mine has a truck with a 47re that he wants to swap to a manual for a sled puller and wants to trade me for trans, crossmember, tcase, driveshafts, etc. I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to control it. I'm getting all goerend parts to build the trans to handle the 800-1000hp goal I have for the truck that I want to be able to drive on the street and drag race on the weekends and occasionally sled pull. I wanted to do a manual vb but it sounds like they aren't exactly streetable. Do I need a standalone controller or do I need to swap the pcm and wiring harness out of his truck? I'm not very good with electrical or autos so I'm kind of lost.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Manual valve body is great on the street. If you don't want to do the full manual go with Firepunks anteater.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery
Really? I guess I was told that they shift super hard for normal driving

Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I'd recommend starting with swapping his PCM and yours too, so you can drive it first. Then you can decide on a VB setup. If you go full manual, then you'd have to wire up switches for overdrive and torque converter lockup.
If you want to stay auto, but you hate the timing/shift points on your OD and TC, then get in contact with joeFarmer/FirePunk for Anteater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergygreen12v View Post
Really? I guess I was told that they shift super hard for normal driving
That's only if you tie off the TV cable. You can leave that hooked up and it'll change line pressure based on your throttle. They're great for larger charger setups, so you can stay in the RPMs you want to be in.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I'd recommend starting with swapping his PCM and yours too, so you can drive it first. Then you can decide on a VB setup. If you go full manual, then you'd have to wire up switches for overdrive and torque converter lockup.
If you want to stay auto, but you hate the timing/shift points on your OD and TC, then get in contact with joeFarmer/FirePunk for Anteater.

That's only if you tie off the TV cable. You can leave that hooked up and it'll change line pressure based on your throttle. They're great for larger charger setups, so you can stay in the RPMs you want to be in.
Probably not a bad idea... if i go manual i wouldn't need to wire anything other than od and tc? I wouldn't mind doing all the shifting I'm used to that anyway as long as it shifts better than an nv4500 with a dual disc lol.. but if I were to swap pcms and go completely auto would I have to swap over the whole wiring harness or is the trans harness separate from the engine harness?

Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery
Does anyone on here have a truck with a fully manual vb that they regularly drive on the street? Just looking for some pros/cons/tips what shifter they recommend? Ratcheting? Regular or reverse pattern etc

Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I think there's one company that makes a reverse pattern MVB and I've never heard a review. I personally like ratcheting style, but a lot of people with fast trucks like gate style.

It's just a little annoying to hop in and ratchet a bunch to get to first, or if you're backing up a trailer and you don't hit it on the first pass, 1st and reverse are a long ways apart!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
I think there's one company that makes a reverse pattern MVB and I've never heard a review. I personally like ratcheting style, but a lot of people with fast trucks like gate style.

It's just a little annoying to hop in and ratchet a bunch to get to first, or if you're backing up a trailer and you don't hit it on the first pass, 1st and reverse are a long ways apart!
Gotcha I haven't decided yet between gated or ratchet if I go ratchet I would probably get reverse pattern, if I go gated probably normal pattern... I don't ever pull a trailer with it anymore, I have a 24 valve for that lol so that's no biggie I'm more concerned with issues of the shifter sticking halfway between gears and burning it up etc

Old 05-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
matt05

Name: matt05
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I thought everyone quit making reverse valve bodies?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergygreen12v View Post
Gotcha I haven't decided yet between gated or ratchet if I go ratchet I would probably get reverse pattern, if I go gated probably normal pattern... I don't ever pull a trailer with it anymore, I have a 24 valve for that lol so that's no biggie I'm more concerned with issues of the shifter sticking halfway between gears and burning it up etc
If you get a quality unit, you won't have this issue. Just follow the directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt05 View Post
I thought everyone quit making reverse valve bodies?
That could be. It's been ~3 years since I looked into it, and back then there was only one company I found. I forget who it was.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Ruben774

Name: Ruben774
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I ran a full manual vb. Didn't like it. Shift Shift Shift switch switch over and over. Might as well stick with the 5sp. I switched over to the Anteater and love it. You can have three tunes. Street, Race and sled if you want. And it's easy to set up. Plus if your going to pay to have a manual vb built you might as well just have Firepunk build you a vb for the anteater and just be out the price of one vb not two and a wiring harness. Just my two cents.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #12
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben774 View Post
I ran a full manual vb. Didn't like it. Shift Shift Shift switch switch over and over. Might as well stick with the 5sp. I switched over to the Anteater and love it. You can have three tunes. Street, Race and sled if you want. And it's easy to set up. Plus if your going to pay to have a manual vb built you might as well just have Firepunk build you a vb for the anteater and just be out the price of one vb not two and a wiring harness. Just my two cents.
I would be sticking with a 5 speed if I could make one last but I get what you mean... I guess I haven't looked into the anteater I don't really know anything about them

Old 05-16-2017, 05:25 AM   #13
McMopar

Name: McMopar
Member`s Gallery
Has anyone done the manual to auto conversion in an all factory way? Would you need to change out the interior wiring harness too? What about the ctu?

Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #14
Financial Mistake

Name: Financial Mistake
Member`s Gallery
Subbed, about to do this swap myself, with no donor truck to flip flop parts off of... should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P24V, Billet 62/68/14, Billet 475/96/1.32, 27°, Seth's Stg 3 @ 450cc, dual feed, DFI 7x12, Fass240, 110#, 425, p&p/3 angle/oring, ED freeze plugs, BD IC, VP MAX boots, stainless mani, Snow w/m, coolant bypass, CTS2, EAS, POS NV4500, valair quiet dual ceramic

Old 05-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #15
McMopar

Member`s Gallery
Well, I'm going forward with one, would love any feedback anyone has.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
12valvetater

Name: 12valvetater
Member`s Gallery
I also am very interested in this post. I don't want a manual valve body though. Im tired of shifting gears.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #17
McMopar

Member`s Gallery
I would really love to know if anyone has really done it to factory specs

Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #18
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery
I decided to go with a normal valvebody so I'm gonna be swapping pcms, anybody have any wiring diagrams I would need to wire the new trans to the pcm?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #19
McMopar

Member`s Gallery
What year is your truck?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #20
Synergygreen12v

Member`s Gallery