What to do with HE351

Livnbreathdsl

Well I have an HE351 laying around now, what should I do with it? I searched and found some first gen guys using them. How would it run on my 98 and what would compliment it in a compound setup. Let's hear your guys' ideas for builds!

Of course all this is after I get my melted trans built haha

Twinz
70FC8A4A-8CC4-46F8-9504-CEAB29F04567-5629-000007F8829D7B65.jpg

Cliff, I'd step up to a custom billet 114mm compressor on that atmosphere turbo, otherwise you won't get the full benefit of the hungry 60mm He351cw.....

The 351 is good for 500hp if you drive it hard enough.
Cliff is currently having a case of the smallcox with his turbos so you don't need to go that big. But it spools great in a set of twins and with a smallish primary it drives like a no lag single.

Thanks for the help guys, I had no idea it was capable of anything near that. Although it is hard to see through all the criticism.

It will most likely be ran as a single for a while, what size injectors would you recommend? 5X12 or could I tune out 5X14's? It only has Stock 215's in it now. Also what can be run for boost on the HE351? More than 35 that the hx makes now?

Last edited:
I actually am currently running a he251 on my 94... It runs awesome I was actually really impressed by the gain of it even with the smaller exhaust housing... Egts rein got down the free way but on the addled track I gained 10 psi and on the street I gained 15 psi.... I'm currently trying to find a way to help it flow the exhaust better but so far not so good.....

Port the waste gate

Do you or anyone have a write up or even pics of what to drill out? I can find alot saying to drill it out to 1" but what am I drilling out? I don't have the turbo sitting in front of me nor have I really looked a turbo over that well to realize what I'm supposed to do.

Or will it be obvious when I look at it?

More examples of setups that guys are using that work would be great, thanks again

the info you are looking for is here, go find it. use the search function. start reading. I get tired of reading the same info over and over. its a waste of bandwidth. thread will be closed if more obvious questions are asked. you've been warned.

i have a he351 over a 480 and have problems spooling the 480. you will need an external wastegate to get a larger primary charger to work with it. also, the he351 maps out at about 27psi, after that it just puts out hot air. IMO it is a great charger, spools really quickly and makes great power, just very restrictive

Back