stretching rclb frame 2'

M249cummins

I'm wanting the wheelbase of a extended cab long bed frame but can only locally find regular cab longbed frames. it is a sledpulling only truck. could you see an issue cutting the rear half and adding 2 feet of frame and bed? is this a common practice, thanks.

Do you need factory suspension? If not, and the rules allow it, just move the axle back to the legal length under your current frame. if you really need the frame to be longer you can also just add a section to the center of your frame. There is a picture of this on the most recent ppl rules thread on here.

it might have 1 spring to please most places but its going to be a pretty solid setup for the most part. heck I might just go solid suspension.

its going to be in open class/rwyb. not really competitive but just a truck to pull every now and then.

I don't know anything about pulling rules; but as far as doing the fab work, how good are your welding skills? Have you done anything like this before? It is very common to cut frames to lengthen or shorten them and weld them back together in the offroad and custom vehicle realm. No issue there if your ability is up to the task. Make sure to fishplate the joints.

I have been welding for 8 months roughly. My father has been a pipe fitter for about 20 years and a boilmaker before that so if I run into an issue I just go to him for welding.

I'm the kind of guy that over builds rather than just good enough. It seems fairly simple to in my opinion.

Back