any one have an old block lying around ?

triton

Scarlet Fever
I'm looking for the plate that goes over the circled area. It's directly behind the ecm on the block. Anyone even know what it is ? It's apparently a Dodge part and not Cummins.

block_zps61224aca.jpg

That looks like a 24 valve block. They just have a freeze plug in all the ones I have seen. no plate that bolts on.

I'll look, I only have about 20 CR blocks and 5 VPs sitting around, but I may have the part. :D

Mark.

The only plate in that area is the one with the L-tube that connects to the oil return from the breather.

Yeah, that's above and to the left of the hole I'm talking about. There must be some sort of plate there. It's a hole straight through the block, the block is machined in that area with 2 screw hole as if a plate goes over it. It's directly behind the ecm

I'll look, I only have about 20 CR blocks and 5 VPs sitting around, but I may have the part. :D

Mark.

It is a CR block. If you happen to have something, that would be great.

Hmmm. Ok, thanks Chris. It obviously didn't come with one cause it's a smooth bore through the block you can tell had nothing in it. The machining on the block and those two screw hole made me think there was a plate there. It also didn't come with a plug for the hole towards the front of the block that's like the oil dip stick hole. Jeff @ Mumau said the one behind the ecm seems to be a Dodge part. Well, I guess I'll see about threading it.

Last edited:
I just need the one though, I'd hate to buy a whole kit. It might be easier just to tap it for a plug.... I don't know, I'll ask him if there's a way to just get one.

Should be no problem to get a single plug. Cummins must have it and they don't come in the bottom end seal kits. Your machine shop might carry it as well.

Don't think Cummins even shows anything for that. I've checked Quickserv, called the local Cummins and talk to Jeff. I'll find something..... it's one of the last things of a looong final assembly!

IMG_20140415_100420_473_zpsc04bb7b6.jpg

On some other applications, not Dodge related, I have seen numerous things attached to that point.
Anything from an oil fill tube, rear compressor support, oil return, motor mount, mounting plates, etc.

In a Dodge it always seems to be a cup plug, with a thread insert in one of the holes to mount an ecm plate.

Mark.

Of all the places I have looked for odd cup/expansion plugs, Carquest seems to have had some oddball ones on hand.
Hell, I even found ones for the plug holes in the CP3s at Carquest!

Keep in mind that it's probably a Metric size in both depth and diameter, too.

Mark.

Yeah I notice numerous threaded holes like behind the time cover or the trans adapter cover that aren't used. I assume in bus or chassis applications they use them. Some the manual even says to fill with sealant in certain applications. Since this is the first time I've done it from scratch, I've not seen many of them before

Any idea when you'll be back up and on the track?

lol! April 1st was 2 years to the day it blew up. It's been a long expensive road back. I will definitely hit the track but, will likely take my time tuning it in and enjoying having my truck back before I do that.

some teasers....

motor_zpse40f4c64.jpg

motor2_zpsdeaabcee.jpg

motor3_zpse278384e.jpg

Nice!!

Yeah, I definitly knows what's it's like to just wanna enjoy your truck after having it down so long.. lol

Almost positive it's 1-1/4 1.250 hafta mic the hole and be sure.
If somebody can run a cummins # 3900958 is what the book called for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back