1976 Vega

Bodacious

Comp Diesel Sponsor
1976 Vega Drag Car

I owned this car years ago. We ran it with a BBC and powerglide. Sold the rolling chassis to a young fella down the road. Work is scarce here right now and has been for over a year. The young fella was going to lose his house so I bought the car back. :bang

We took it out and ran it one time. It is not as fast as it was, but, it is much nicer. They got it together in 2012. Other than the wheels and body, they renewed everything. I would guess they easily spent over $10k renewing the car. It has been to the track three times since then. We took it once and the other fella took it twice.

Asking $18,000 or will consider trades for anything diesel related. I could honestly use the money right now the way I've been spending it.

Thanks for looking,

Arch Stalnaker
Stalnaker Racing Stables

Well crap!! Just spent 20 minutes getting pics loaded on here and it timed out on me. lol

Also wanted to add she'll go 6.30's in the 1/8th with the brake set a 3500rpm and the shift point at 6500.

The engine is a 400 block filled. 408 cubes, all roller, lots of good stuff in there. lol

Trans is an Allen Pope glide.

Vega_1.jpg

Vega_2.jpg

Vega_3.jpg

Good luck on the sale, appears Gas or Alky powered rides are a tough sale here. I've about decided to keep my long car and to continue enjoying racing but will have to get a driver. These cars built from scratch with the best of parts cost way to much to give away.

Good luck!
Tucker

I may end up selling the engine and trans out of it and making it my track test mule for my new engine design.

Really want to sell, but, who knows???

Bump and update to considering trades on a dragster chassis. Probably have to be at least close to Top Alcohol length or whatever. Not much of a dragster man yet. lol

Got a pretty good laugh when I saw the thread title; I still have a 262 sitting on the shelf. Lol!

Bump and update to considering trades on a dragster chassis. Probably have to be at least close to Top Alcohol length or whatever. Not much of a dragster man yet. lol

I'd swap ya for my dragster I think but we'd have to keep our engines/trans out of the deal. This car is light and fast, 1440# wet w/o a driver if I remember, I've got the paper where I scaled it in my gallery

In all reality Ryan, will your dragster hold over 3000 lb-ft of torque? I'd be interested in trading if it will work.

I have no idea, lol.
Shorter chassis is becoming Very popular down here, lots of new 190 to 225 inch cars being built. Lighter and their closer to driving a door car down at the stripe, easy to drive. It's a very well built car, worse comes to worse you go back and x the diaginals like I did in Bone Shaker(chassis is painted not powder coated)....I'd say the gearing, brakes, fuel pump, etc.....is already where'd you need it. It's set up for a full length glide and WM coupler.

Last edited:
Pretty slick Vega.

It really is a super nice little bracket car. It was probably built in the early 80's with 2x3 frame rail and stock front suspension. She was a real experience with the Big Block. Seriously gave me tunnel vision for about 10' on the launch. lol

Maybe I'm just a big sissy. lol

The cage is 1.75 DOM mild steel so it is a little heavy. It does give you a secure feeling when you go sideways about 3/4 track. lol

I will separate if anyone is interested in just the rolling chassis.

Think I have a local buyer at 20k, man it would be awesome timing for me right now.

Good luck with your sale.

I have loaded the vega up and am headed to Keystone Raceway this evening. I can't do much physical labor right now and I really need to move this little jewel.

It is geared for the 1/8th so I'll be coasting a bunch. lol

I may know someone that'd be interested, I will send him your way.

I just got back from Germany and had a very successful double neck and back surgery, got 4 artificial disk put in.

My car brought 25k turn key and sold it the week I left, it was sure great timing for me, I got to put that down as payment on the 85k I borrowed for surgery, ouch!

Great to hear on your surgery and the sale of the dragster. If this vega doesn't leave quick, it may get a diesel powered plant.

Update: The previous owners installed new fiberglass quarters with stretched wheel openings. Since then, the rear has not looked centered in the wheel well.

I installed a longer set of bars a moved the rear back 3/4" to center the wheels in the wheel wells. I need to re-scale and run it.

I ultimately wanted to stick this lenco in it and go have some clutching fun, but, I just better sell it.

New price as car must go, this is a steal at $15K.

Update: The previous owners installed new fiberglass quarters with stretched wheel openings. Since then, the rear has not looked centered in the wheel well.

I installed a longer set of bars a moved the rear back 3/4" to center the wheels in the wheel wells. I need to re-scale and run it.

I ultimately wanted to stick this lenco in it and go have some clutching fun, but, I just better sell it.

New price as car must go, this is a steal at $15K.
Got a real kick out of that first pic. So does the purchase of the car include any chickens? Lol!:hehe:

Back