The final Step

Chassisman

Gator Out...
Here are some things I do to hold things together I thought I'd share before I get old and pass... Safety wire the hard to reach return lines and manifold bolts as they have a tendency to smash seals and loosen up over time.

Attachments

• DSC01666 (1).jpg
    DSC01666 (1).jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01671.jpg
    DSC01671.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01677 (1).jpg
    DSC01677 (1).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01676 (1).jpg
    DSC01676 (1).jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01669 (1).jpg
    DSC01669 (1).jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 0
Interesting. Never seen this done before on bolts and fittings. Would have never thought of that.

Seriously? Safety wiring has been around for a very long time. Probably started in aviation, and aerospace where a loose bolt kills a bunch of people. In some racing you need it done to pass tech.

Nord Locks are a good alternative to tie wire. Not sure if it will pass tech but it is as good as tie wire.

Are you using the safety wire mainly because of high impact/off roading? Or just all around safety?

Just on the more common bolts that seem to loosen, or leak. I have a bad back so it was easier to do while the head was off I did as much pre- assembly as possible.

Seriously? Safety wiring has been around for a very long time. Probably started in aviation, and aerospace where a loose bolt kills a bunch of people. In some racing you need it done to pass tech.

I see it a lot in DOD stuff. I hate that crap. :hehe:

Are you using the safety wire mainly because of high impact/off roading? Or just all around safety?

In my life, I've only needed to do it for motorcycle road racing. So kind of the opposite to off road, low speed stuff. I am pretty sure most of it is due to high frequency engine inputs at 13,000+ RPM. Second and third order frequencies are usually what is tough with embedment and bolts loosening.

In my life, I've only needed to do it for motorcycle road racing. So kind of the opposite to off road, low speed stuff. I am pretty sure most of it is due to high frequency engine inputs at 13,000+ RPM. Second and third order frequencies are usually what is tough with embedment and bolts loosening.

If I remember right, they probably had you wire your brake rotors, or carriers/hubs, and maybe your rear sprocket?

Looks good, definitely doesn’t seem to hurt anything. I’m planning on using safety wire on a few things, at the very least the oil pickup tube bolts.

Ya the only thing I can remember using that technique on is dirtbike hand grips. That way they didn’t slide off the handle bars.

Back