Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Isspro
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Sandaholic

Name: Sandaholic
Title: Bangin' through the gears
Member`s Gallery
Performax Air Pressure gauge question

Hey Michael I have 5 Isspro performax gauges one being an air pressure gauge. I was wondering if there was a way I could get 2 more air pressure senders and use a 3 position toggle switch to monitor the overall air in my system and the air in each long travel airbag with the same gauge. Is this possible?

And a couple unrelated questions.

Have there been any changes implemented to quiet the scritch scritch noise of these gauges?

I also have a FPG that registers 40psi. I'm pretty sure it's not pegged and that there is an issue with the gauge or sender. Is there a troubleshooting step by step on figuring this out? I'm sure it's something simple I'm just more or less a wiring dummy so I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks Roy

Old 03-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Michael

Name: Michael
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Roy,
I have made up a quick troubleshooting document, please PM me your email address and I will send it. I pasted the contents below, but it probably won't format very well.

You could set up a rotary switch to switch between the sensors (keeping the 5V and grounds tied together). I have not seen a 3-position toggle that would switch properly, but a rotary should be able to. Then again you can always add more air pressure gauges, we can just custom program them to use another one of the pressure inputs on the ESP.

We are working on some better filtering. Some of it can be done with the new attribute programmer (which can set up some gauge-specific filtering), and we are working on an updated version of the ESP software to apply better noise filtering to all of the inputs.

Regards,
Michael

ISSPRO Performax Series Troubleshooting

All gauges:
1. Check if the gauge pointer homes (moves towards pointer stop) on power-up. You should hear a faint noise from the gauge motor for a moment, and see the pointer move against the pointer stop, then it should move away from the pointer stop to the value the sensor currently indicates.
2. If the gauge homing function does not work, check the voltage on the orange and black wires to the gauges. Check first at the cut ends of the wires, with the “-“ meter probe on the black and the “+” probe on the orange wires. You should see approximately 7.0 volts between those wires with the ignition turned on and the harness plugged into the ESP.
3. If you have 7 volts at the orange and black wires but still no gauge function, measure the voltage between those wires but at the exposed metal portion of the terminals on the orange connector (visible between the wires and the gauge body along the top of the connector, when the connector is plugged into the gauge). If you had voltage in Step #2 but not at the metal terminals, it appears the wires are not making good contact with the terminals of the orange connector. Use the wire insertion tool (R72023) and a pair of pliers again to push the wires into the connector. While holding the connector and tool with the pliers, grab the wires and pull them towards the orange connector, pulling the wires deeper into the “V” of the terminals.
4. If you did not have approximately 7 volts in step #2, check the voltage at the vehicle connections for the red (Gray connector pin #1) and pink (Gray #2) wires, and check for a good ground on the brown (Gray #4) wire. If you have good voltage at the vehicle connections, check the voltages of the same wires at the gray connector (with the “-“ meter probe on the brown and the “+” probe on the red and then the pink wires, touching the probe to the terminal in the connector corresponding to each of those wires). Depending on your meter probes, you may need to remove the “wedge lock” from the bottom of the gray connector to reach the terminals for measurement. Also check that the wire terminals in the gray connector are all fully seated and engaged in their respective latches in the connector.

Standard Pressure Gauges (Boost Pressure, Oil Pressure, Exhaust Backpressure, Trans Pressure, Drive Oil Pressure):
5. If the gauge performs the homing functions of step #1 but the pointer moves to the straight down (6:00) position, the sensor reading is out of range. If this occurs or the gauge is suspected of showing inaccurate results, perform the following checks in order:
a. With the ignition turned on and the ESP plugged in, unplug the connector at the sensor and measure the voltage between the black wire and the red wire. Depending on the connector type and the meter probes you may need to insert small pins into the connector to get a reading, but be careful not to spread the terminals in the connector. You should see 4.5-5.5 volts, if outside this range check the wiring to the ECU (Rail Pressure gauges) or the ESP (all other pressure gauges). Plug connector back into sensor after taking the measurement. If this voltage output is less than 4.5 volts on pressure gauges other than Rail Pressure, and wiring is correct and undamaged, then the ESP may be damaged.
b. Turn off ignition power, unplug the appropriate ESP plug that the sensor wires plug into, and remove the green sensor wire from the ESP plug (see ESP instructions for details on removing and reinstalling wires from the plug). Replace the plug onto the ESP and turn on ignition (taking care not to short out the green wire to any other wires or ground), then measure the voltage between the green wire and ground. After the measurement turn off ignition, replace the wire in the connector, and reconnect the connector to the ESP.
c. The value measured at step b above should be as follows:
for 100 psi sensor (all gauges up to 100 psi)-
PSI 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60 65 70 75 80 85 90 95 100
Voltage 0.5 0.7 0.9 1.1 1.3 1.5 1.7 1.9 2.1 2.3 2.5 2.7 2.9 3.1 3.3 3.5 3.7 3.9 4.1 4.3 4.5

For the 175 psi sensor (gauges from 100 to 180 psi except Trans Pressure) –
PSI 0 10 20 25 30 40 50 60 70 75 80 90 100 110 120 125 130 140 150 160 170 175
Voltage 0.5 0.7 1 1.1 1.2 1.4 1.6 1.9 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.6 2.8 3 3.2 3.4 3.5 3.7 3.9 4.2 4.4 4.5

For the 400 psi sensor (Trans Pressure and Drive Oil Pressure gauges) –
PSI 0 20 40 60 80 100 120 140 160 180 200 220 240 260 280 300 320 340 360 380 400
Voltage 0.5 0.7 0.9 1.1 1.3 1.5 1.7 1.9 2.1 2.3 2.5 2.7 2.9 3.1 3.3 3.5 3.7 3.9 4.1 4.3 4.5

If the voltage is more than 0.4 volts from the values listed above, the sensor is probably faulty and should be replaced.

Rail Pressure Gauges:
5. If the gauge performs the homing functions of step #1 but the pointer moves to the straight down (6:00) position, the sensor reading is out of range. If this occurs or the gauge is suspected of showing inaccurate results, perform the following check:
a. Check that the connection between the factory harness and the gauge harness is correct. Be sure that the truck harness connector is oriented so that its latch engages the angled block on the Rail Pressure harness connector, not the non-angled block on the other side of the connector.

Pyrometers:
6. If the gauge is suddenly showing significantly (300°-500°F) higher than normal readings, especially in hot ambient conditions, there may be a failure in the ESP. If the gauge performs the homing functions of step #1 but the pointer moves to the straight down (6:00) position, the sensor reading is out of range. If this occurs or the gauge is suspected of showing inaccurate results, perform the following checks in order. Remove the thermocouple (pyrometer sensor) leadwires from the ESP connector (see ESP instructions for details):
a. Using a digital multimeter set on millivolts, measure the voltage between the red and yellow wires (+ on yellow, - on red), first with the engine off and cold. Reading should be close to 0 mV
b. Start the engine and let it idle then repeat the measurement at the leadwires. Reading should be approximately 5.2-5.3 mV
c. Revving the engine up should increase the voltage across the wires.
d. If you get readings differing from any of these expected values, check the connector to the thermocouple and replace the leadwire or thermocouple as necessary.

Temperature Gauges:
7. If the gauge performs the homing functions of step #1 but the pointer moves to the straight down (6:00) position, the sensor reading is out of range. If this occurs or the gauge is suspected of showing inaccurate results, perform the following checks. Remove the temperature sensor wires (black and white wires) from the ESP connector (see ESP instructions for details).
a. Using a digital multimeter set on resistance (ohms), measure the resistance between the green and white wires. The resistance value should follow the chart below. If more than 150 ohms off these values, unplug the wiring at the sensor and re-check at the terminals of the sensor. If the value is still more than 150 ohms off, the sensor is defective and should be replaced.
Temp °F 50 60 70 80 90 100 110 120 130 140 150 160 170 180
Res (Ohms) 22.5K 17.3K 13.4K 10.4K 8.17K 6.45K 5.13K 4.10K 3.30K 2.68K 2.19K 1.80K 1.49K 1.24K
95 F350 CC DRW, Intake, exhaust, chip, injectors, locker, gauges
00 Jetta TDI - tunes, clutch & gauges
And a bunch of gassers

Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Sandaholic

Member`s Gallery
Thanks!

So rotary switch huh. Okay that makes more sense anyway. I don't really see any reason to run more air gauges. I just want to check the pressure when I juice them up to tow and that's it.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Sandaholic

Member`s Gallery
Michael I finally got around to troubleshooting this and I have a faulty sensor. Should I call in to see about getting a replacement?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Sandaholic

Member`s Gallery
Thanks Michael!

Closed Thread