Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- GM > GM Tech > Chevy Cruze
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Test drove a Cruze

And boy do I want one. No it wasn't a diesel but it was the LTZ which it just slightly more upscale than the diesel version. This had everything but Chevy's navigation.

Room. Who ever said there isn't any rear legroom must have only read the reviews. I'm 5'11" and 200lbs. I got into it and moved the seat all the way back. I could barely use the pedals in a safe, recommended fashion. So my 6'2" father with a 36" inseam would feel very comfortable in it. Moved it to where I felt was a good position for me. I was able to sit behind the driver seat and would be able to for a long trip. Want a comparison? My 94 Accord is more cramped than this thing even with my knees in the dash. Is it a lot of room? No. Go buy a Passat of you want diesel with rear legroom. Then shoot your foot when you realized you only have a 5yr/60k mil warranty.

Assuming this is the same automatic that the diesel gets, it is obviously programmed for mileage. Driving through town at 35mph got it into 5th with the torque converter locked. Were talking nearly 1200rpms here with the 1.4L turbo'd engine. Sport mode revealed some very nice shifting. It will hold a gear going faster but slowing down it down shifted for you. Try 6th gear at 20mph? The dumazz screen in front of you says "Denial".

The car handled excellently and soaked up the country road bumps quite nicely. I wouldn't say it's exactly sporty but when you turned the wheel, it turned. Speaking of which, the electronic steering. It is nice but I now know what they mean by lightly weighted. There is not a whole lot of feedback. Its almost like driving a computer game, except you get the sensation of the g-forces on your body. So it's a perfect highway car.

The Chevy My Link is easy... once you know its a touch screen. The display between the tach and speedo took some getting used to. After a 30 minute drive and 30 minutes with the salesman, there was still a couple things to figure out. I did like the dual trip meters and digital speedometer.

The leather seats heated up fast and hot. We're talking 5 minutes before I felt something through my flannel lined jeans and it was put to low in about 7 minutes.

Trunk is huge! Bulky stroller? No problem. A whole gang of thugs who tried to kidnap you but you pulled a Jackie Chan on? Maybe about 4 if your utilize the space right.

It even has Max Startup Volume feature. Really nice if your jamming it out all night with your buddies then wake up with a hangover. No sudden wails of death anymore.

So what does all this mean? Nothing if you don't like small cars. Something if you like sporty fuel efficient cars. A lot if you wanted a small, well executed with the option of a diesel.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
rdix7991

Name: rdix7991
Title: Grumpy
Member`s Gallery
New Car View 2014! Nice write up...

Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
now go drive a Hyundai with the 2.0t

Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
oldestof11

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
now go drive a Hyundai with the 2.0t
Unfortunately, I have to drive 50 miles to get to the nearest Hyundai dealer.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Big Block 88

Name: Big Block 88
Title: Midwest Monsters
Member`s Gallery
My girl lives her cruze it's the turbo 4cyl no diesel, but it is no shot the only small car I have ever fit in, I'm only 6' but I have a very tall torso taller than my friend who is 6'5" so my head always hits the ceiling or knees up against the dash but this car is roomy!

Cousin just got a Hyundai with the 2.0t scent car for sure but the cruze kills it in comfort and head room for me. Our car is loaded the Bluetooth and hands free is amazingly easy to use

Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
druk

Name: druk
Title: newb
Member`s Gallery
They are nice little cars. Friend has one and we have had 5 people in it, not that comfortably but it wasnt to bad.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
Toolman

Name: Toolman
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I have a 2012 eco 6sp manual I think the worst average mileage I have gotten has been 37 in the middle of the winter. Normaly it runs about 39 to 40 mpg . It gets great millage and handles great. I like the 6sp because the motor is a little lite on power but with the manual you can stretch the rpms a little when you need it. I would love to have a diesel cruze but am waiting for a stick shift diesel to come out.

B&B Tooling 269-496-9021

B & B Tooling Intakes and custom machined parts.

Member of Drive by Wire Mafia

Old 11-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
tatersalad

Name: tatersalad
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
what im waiting on as well^^if they had them with sticks right now id own one..

Closed Thread