water mist pre-turbo in improve turbo efficiency?

I know some tractor pullers do it, but not sure if they just needed one more spot to inject water or if it is there to improve the efficiency of the charger?

Thoughts, discussion?

Bad idea, the chance of falure is not worth it. Water should be injected after the charge air cooler as far away from the intake as it can be mounted, and inline of air flow is preferable.

The tractor guys have done it for many years. The setup I've seen has a very small nozzle pre-turbo just to put a film between the wheel and housing.

when I get some time I am going to add one and see how my post turbo temps and boost respond. Currently temps are 650 out of the charger, I bet that water would also cool that down prior to the intercooler.

back when I had my old truck and running twins, 7 nozzels and no intercooler I talked to a few tractor pullers and they walked about how I should have one nozel pre-atmosphere charger and inject water directly into the wheel. The one guy even gave me all the part #'s for his setup (I have it somewhere on my desk top computer) but he told me that proper atomization is a deffinat must and if done right, there would be next to no wear on the wheel...
Thinking about this now...and never actually doing the pre-turbo nozzel...to tell you the truth, on the tractors in the past year or so I have looked over pretty good...did not have any nozzels directly into the chargers and most that I looked at and talked with the owners...where running water to air intercooling.
We don't have our system for our new truck figured out and I havn't actually paid to much attention to what others are doing...but would injecting water prior to the air/water IC not be a bad thing as I assume you could actually freeze up the internal air passages in the intercooler???

Here are two pics of a crazy 4 charger tractor I was checking out the other week and had a good talk with him about the setup...just crazy!!!
4chargertractor.jpg

4chargertractorintercooler.jpg

I couldnt find any turbos that were boreless other than a garrett that came on the lbz. FI has a new wheel out full 11 blade that looks similiar to the gtx compressor wheels but its not boreless either. Unless i dont understand what boreless means im guessing that the shaft doesnt go all the way threw the compressor wheel.

FI-Engineering EXT-R compressor wheels
Forced Inductions

They are boreless when machined, that way they can fit any shaft chosen, they will be available in smaller sizes soon.

I couldnt find any turbos that were boreless other than a garrett that came on the lbz. FI has a new wheel out full 11 blade that looks similiar to the gtx compressor wheels but its not boreless either. Unless i dont understand what boreless means im guessing that the shaft doesnt go all the way threw the compressor wheel.

FI-Engineering EXT-R compressor wheels
Forced Inductions

EXT-R 115mm thumper :bang. EXT-R Borg Warner 80..... :pop:

Back