Shops that can o-ring heads (Florida)

Does anyone know of any shops that could cut/install o-rings for my 2nd gen 12v head in Florida? got a place near me that wants $400, and they've only done it on one other truck. Trying to avoid spending $250+ on shipping..
Thanks.

$303 for an Isky Groove-o-matic that lets you cut o-ring grooves in the block in a few hours.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Isky-Racing-Cams-200-GRM-Groove-O-Matic/dp/B002VVV10O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369353968&sr=8-1&keywords=isky+groove"]Isky Racing Cams 200-GRM Groove-O-Matic Block O-Ringing Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Have you guys used this at all? How easy is it to screw up? I'm sorta mechanically inclined, took the head off myself anyways. I've got 1 semi-bad head, and 1 good one, so i could practice on one first if it's somewhat difficult to use..

And one more question, can this tool be used with the motor still in the truck? seems like #6 would be really tight.

Yes, in-frame is possible. Yes it works, and if you use feeler gauges to setup the cutter depth, it's pretty easy to get the depth right (easier to do it right than do it wrong). The radius of the cut is simply adjusting the cutter in or out to hit the center of the fire ring on the gasket. Once again, easier to do it right than do it wrong.

My personal 98' lost the head a few weeks ago and I o-ringed the block. So far it has about 500 miles since the o-ringing, and new gasket, and used head and all is well.

BrokenHead001_zps7cfb5265.jpg

Once you're in this deep, it only makes sense to oring the block or the head if your a horsepower junkie:
BrokenHead007_zpsab619ea6.jpg

This is a picture of a bore off my Junker Drag Truck but this is exactly what the groove looks like on my 98' pictured above.
Bore41.jpg

Advanced Cylinder Head Machine Shop in Orlando does o-rings on Cummins heads 407-671-2886

Last edited:
I've done the block o-rings also, same tool that bigblue24 used. I've got maybe 3500 miles on my truck, several 4500rpm 50psi long bursts and no problems. The real test is beig built. We will see how it handles 100psi ;)

What part of FL? There's a great machine shop in Thomasville, GA that did my machine work and does a lot of Darren's work. It's not far from Tallahassee. I think it's around $275 to O-ring a head.

Sent from my paperweight

Back