New Puller

Aust_J

hey guys im a 19 years old and have recently finished a 15 month program at Lincoln college of Technology in the diesel mechanic course and im looking for some serious help. ive recently purchase a 98 12v with hopes and dreams of building a pulling truck. Im basically starting at the ground and working my way up, any in-put or help on anything would be a great help. thanks.

There are countless threads that could help you. Just do some searching and a LOT of reading. Good luck.

And welcome.

I've read a lot of things it just seems like everyone has an opinion, and I'm not sure who's right and who's not.

I've read a lot of things it just seems like everyone has an opinion, and I'm not sure who's right and who's not.

This is where you read more and weed out the right answer to your question. Then post a more detailed specific question. No ones is gonna build the truck for you unless you have an unlimited check book and just drop the thing off at scheid or haisleys shop and say make it happen...

I would say theyre right. Most of your questions can be answered with a good search. As far as how to build a puller... there are so many variables in that question its insane. What class are you shooting for? Dedicated puller, or weekend hobby? And I think I would be right in saying there is no set recipe for success. Everyone does something a little different that works for them. Try some stuff, see how it reacts, learn from it, and go from there.
Its good to see the sport growing, and likewise, welcome to CompD.

Lots of searching and lots of reading. There's no such thing as a wrong setup and there is no such thing as a perfect setup. Trial and error thats all there is to it. Ask lots of questions and people will help you make some steps.
Good luck and welcome

Buy one that someone else built and spend half the money!

Best answer there is get one that is already built.

It's like buying tools. You don't buy just one wrench you get a set because for what you pay for one you double that and can have a half dozen. Pulling trucks are just about the same way. My advice set you a budget by pricing out parts so you have a true idea what it cost( even that won't be close because there is so much stuff you don't plan for) then go find you a truck prebuilt and you either save money or get a alot more truck.

Rusty

Best answer there is get one that is already built.

It's like buying tools. You don't buy just one wrench you get a set because for what you pay for one you double that and can have a half dozen. Pulling trucks are just about the same way. My advice set you a budget by pricing out parts so you have a true idea what it cost( even that won't be close because there is so much stuff you don't plan for) then go find you a truck prebuilt and you either save money or get a alot more truck.

Rusty

^^^ good words of wisdom!

Back