Suspension set ups on pullers, how to keep it from bouncing!

This is apples to oranges (Fords vs IFS GM) but I was told NOT to put front travel-limiting straps on the front of my truck because it would induce hopping. Take it for what its worth.

Perhaps front traction bars would help???

Crower clutches have weights on the fingers, not the stands.. he may just have typed the wrong thing.

IMO 9 weights on each finger is way to much. I can't believe you are keeping it from over-riding the throw-out bearing and walking away at about 2500 RPM... must have a huge air gap, and lots of stall spring in it!!

ACU,

There is a 99-05 body style ford up my way with a hot 12v cummins in it, and even tho it had a ton of power, it would bounce until it broke or the driver let out everytime it pulled. A few months later talked to the guys who built it and asked them if they fixed it and they pointed out the full length traction bars they added to the front axle. Said it cured all the bouncing they had.

they made a center cross member and had both the front and rear traction bars mounted at nearly the same place, and the last time I saw it pull it did very well, put a bit of distance on the rest of the field that night.

yes fingers is what i ment sorry i was typing and talking and put the wrong thing down, but it does try to come out of hole before i have the turbo lit all the way. so what im gettin here is run long ones from the back axle to middle of truck then from middle to the front get blown?? we had little tie down bars with no travel on the front but went by the steering arm. im gonna take 3 wieghts off each finger and try that. keep em coming guys this is a huge help!

All caught up said:
yes fingers is what i ment sorry i was typing and talking and put the wrong thing down, but it does try to come out of hole before i have the turbo lit all the way. so what im gettin here is run long ones from the back axle to middle of truck then from middle to the front get blown?? we had little tie down bars with no travel on the front but went by the steering arm. im gonna take 3 wieghts off each finger and try that. keep em coming guys this is a huge help!

yea something like the lower bars of a 4-link set up like BigBadDodge had...I cant find pics tho

hey i g2g to work but if u look at my old photos i think i had that setup once but took it off. I had it on there for the tennessee pull.

I've had them too, and also took them off. I can't remember if I had bounce with them or not. I've had it for so long I need a log book. I do know that the quicker I can get the tires to spin the less hop I have.

Just take some weight out of the clutch and blow the tires off of it out of the hole and you should be fine.

-Tom

Sounds like you need to loose a little weight off your fingers, and possibly run a little more air gap. do you know how much backload it was set for? have you changed it? This still isn't going to help ypur bouncing/chattering issues much but will get you out of the hole better. Those that say that coilovers arent better than leafs are BSing you, when it all boils down it's the geometry and spring rate, neither of which can be brought to a desirable point with the stock ford setup. If you have any recent video i'd like to see it, it helps to see what the truck is doing to be better able to make an assessment on what needs to be done. If you would like you can give me a call 513-919-3411. maby I can come up and check the truck out in the evening sometime soon and see if I can help you guys out.

I have my opinion on why the fords bounce, take it for what it is cus I believe this is the cause all the way.

The rear suspension on all three are very similar Ford Chevy Dodge. Now the Chevy Duramax will rarely ever bounce. Wana know why? It's mostly all to do with your front end. Next time you see a ford pull with stock suspension, watch how far the front leafs travel up. The front suspension on a ford will travel up to far giving the truck to much rock, causing it to bounce.

I would strap or chain the front axle to the frame to keep the front from lifting at all and bounce should be minimal with good rear stoppers and traction bars.

Last edited:
I'd also check out what some of the Pro Trucks (Gassers) are doing.. Most have a DOT tire class, and most are running front leafs... The ones we have looked at are just running a bottom traction bar.. But check out what's working for them in your area...
Bryan

Back