05-white smoke

cetaneaddict

Causing my own headaches
So I recently developed some white smoke in between gear shifts. (nv5600 truck).

It is tuned, stock injectors as far as I can tell. 116k on the engine.

It will also have a slight puff of white smoke if I lug it. let off. get back on it. then it will have a puff of white smoke. no smoke while idling or during a cold start or any start.

It's a very clean tune. I also took the tune out and put the stock file in. Still does it.

It also sounds like a ever so slight tick coming from cylinder one or two while idling. I was thinking about pulling the valve cover and check/adjust valve lash.

So is it injectors? valve seal? valve issue?

running a fass system. new filters 5k ago
White smoke is more recent?

I would throw filters at it and retest, check fuel pressure if you have the means, also monitor rail pressure in the areas where you see the smoke.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

The white smoke is recent. probably in the last 100ish miles or so. I pulled the turbo off to verify it wasn't a bad oil seal or oil coming out the exhaust manifold.

I have an old CTS2 monitor. I will watch it. I can also data log with my hp tuner software. which I will do after my filter change.

I will try a set of new filters tomorrow if the rain holds off.

I threw some 2 stroke oil in it a few days ago to see if it changed anything but it didn't.

White smoke is usually indicative of low fuel pressure.
Barring exotic turbo designs, turbos don't have seals. The turbine shaft has what it referred to as a piston ring or seal, just a metal ring. The front is usually some version of a slinger disk. The idea is that the shaft speed slings the oil out radially around it at such a high speed that it doesn't have a chance to leak out axially. If it does discharge axially, high crank case pressure is usually the cause.

Thank you for the info! I will change the filters and data log it then report back. I appreciate the help and ideas.

Well I thought I had filters in the tool box. Come to find out I don't. I'm going to order some cat replacement filters tonight after I measure my thread diameter.

Also while just poking around in the engine bay yesterday I noticed when I unplugged the injector harness the plugs had oil seeping through on the engine side. Is this common? or should I replace the gasket?

Also while just poking around in the engine bay yesterday I noticed when I unplugged the injector harness the plugs had oil seeping through on the engine side. Is this common? or should I replace the gasket?
It's common on that style of connector. A cheap temporary solution is to clean both sides of the connection with brake cleaner to remove the oil, and then apply di-electric grease. The grease forms a hydraulic barrier to discourage the oil from working through the connection.
You don't want to apply to much because the seal on the male connector will make a piston that prevents the connector from fully seating and clipping in to place.

technically i didnt wanna say theres no way its a filter issue....so im watching from the corner to see..ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpeg
    IMG_0336.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
So replaced the filters this morning since it was cooler out. Thanks to the hurricane. I also adjusted the valve lash .010 intake and .020 exhaust. I primed the filters. Fired the truck up. sounded quiet and smooth. Let it idle for about 5 mins while I picked up my tools. Pulled out of the drive way. shifted 2nd to 3rd gear. started rolling into it. Got a hesitation/dead spot. That cleared up. grabbed 4th gear. rolled into it. no issues along with 5th and 6th. No white smoke. Drove 7 miles to work. Parked the truck and idling it sounded off like a miss. Shut it off. Went into work. 2 hours later started the truck to move it into a different parking lot. It sounded fine.

Just drove it home to let the dog out on lunch. We still have white smoke.

I'll take injectors for $500 Alex..................................

I was going to drive it home this weekend which is roughly 850 miles. I really don't feel like burning a hole in a piston. So it will sit until I get back. Then I will send out my spares to be cleaned, tested, and a get a flow sheet.

Back