Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
Kman9090

Name: Kman9090
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
what were the final results of the class???

Gilmore Diesel Performance
Sponsored by D&B Performance and Fabrication

Old 07-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
2001cummins

Name: 2001cummins
Title: Costly
Member`s Gallery
The sled pulls hard. I just got done pulling and it does not let u get up and run. I would start with traction bars pulling 2low.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #23
Convicted1

Name: Convicted1
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman9090 View Post
I know hoddler pretty well! I dont think he was trying to cheat! Sounds more like the pull was very poorly organized! If your not smart enuff to see the bars or blocks on his maroon truck! Well then you shouldnt be teching.
No... He wasn't trying to cheat.

Just taking advantage of the situation.

The problem was this...

None of the different flyers or the newspaper agreed on what the rules for the class were.

The flyer said No Bars, Blocks, Hanging Weight.

Newspaper said Stock Turbo, No Bars, Blocks, Hanging Weight.

So in the end they just said screw it and let anybody that wanted to hook the class.

First place paid $400... So I guess the guys saw an easy oportunity to pick up some cash and took it.

Sadly... I don't think the Open class paid that much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Well is it the tech job to kick people out, or the pullers job to know what class your legal for or not? I mean come on I know what class my truck is legal for and which it isn't.
Again... They were just takin' advantage of a situation.

I mean it's kinda crappy to take the pot from the people who the class was truly designed for... But if they are gonna let you hook, hook.

Quote:
what were the final results of the class???
1st) Leonard Bradshaw
2nd) Brad Hodler (Maroon VP Truck)
3rd) Brad Hodler (Black Duramax) This may have been legit... But knowin' Brad I'd bet the truck has a Cheetah turbo on it. Either way... He used the truck to pull the Maroon one in on the gooseneck. I'm good with it running the stock class.

I can post vids of all those pulls if ya'll would like as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001cummins View Post
The sled pulls hard. I just got done pulling and it does not let u get up and run. I would start with traction bars pulling 2low.
Scriv usually runs a pretty good sled... I'd say last night was no exception. They left the sled heavy because they knew Brad and Leonard were gonna hook their 2.8 trucks in the class.

Couldn't let them get out into the street with it obviously.

That track last night was weird as heck too... I've never seen the Tipton track with that much bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 View Post
You want boobies that fill up a wine glass.... not stop up a toilet.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
Here's my plan for Thursday night...

1) Turn TQ Management down to 2 from 4. Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to get the charger lit.

2) Leave at about 20 PSI boost versus the 4 I left at the other night.

3) Not use the lockup switch unless she doesn't shift to third.

Still won't have time to have the bars and blocks on it yet... My main concern right now is getting this thing to ACT like it's got the power its supposed to have.

Anybody see anything I should change in this plan?

Still run number 7 on the Smarty?

Quote:

Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #25
nomercy

Name: nomercy
Title: cheeseburgler
Member`s Gallery
from what ive seen with my own truck you can use your lockup switch on a loose track but if it is a tight one I wouldnt do it. ive seen trucks with this type of setup run really well so I would just keep trying to work on things. you may try another type of tire maybe borrow some from a friend and see if that helps you. I wouldnt go with anything really aggressive but its worth a shot. I would set there on the brakes some also and try to build some more boost and see what you think from there

Old 07-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #26
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
So you guys think that this was just a case of doing just about EVERYTHING wrong I could have?

No real reason to suspect the truck isn't running up to it's potential?... Just driver error at this point?

Quote:

Old 07-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #27
nomercy

Name: nomercy
Title: cheeseburgler
Member`s Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTGcV...eature=related

check out wes wades truck. he has a good example of a strong running auto truck to maybe get some pointers

Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 AM   #28
Kman9090

Member`s Gallery
Well if the stock class is payin more, and there lettin anyone in, id proably do it to!

To me it sounds like it was just your standard brush pull!!!

And the DMAX is bone stock!!!

And my brother has an 05 CR with a few more poonies then you got when he started out he had no traction bars, no blocks and no weight up front, added those 3 things and picked up another 20ft!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #29
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well if the stock class is payin more, and there lettin anyone in, id proably do it to!

To me it sounds like it was just your standard brush pull!!!

And the DMAX is bone stock!!!

And my brother has an 05 CR with a few more poonies then you got when he started out he had no traction bars, no blocks and no weight up front, added those 3 things and picked up another 20ft!!!
Like I said... I agree. I would have probably done the same thing if I were in their shoes.

Yep... Pretty much a typical brush pull.

The DMAX is NOT "Bone" stock... I do know that... It's got EFILive on it for sure. As for anything else... Who knows. If BONE STOCK DMAX's are runnin' like that... I need to just burn my truck and collect the insurance.

As stated before... Bars Blocks and Weights (As well as a new turbo and some other goodies) are on the way. I litterally just got the motor back together three weeks ago and 1 of those weeks the truck was in the body shop. It's all a work in progress...

Quote:

Old 07-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #30
Convicted1

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomercy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTGcV...eature=related

check out wes wades truck. he has a good example of a strong running auto truck to maybe get some pointers
Seems to me like his truck never shifts to 3rd... Maybe at the end of the one hook... But it fell right back off and went to second again. At least thats what it sounded like to me...

HOW though does he aquire that much ground speed!? I don't think my truck would move that quick in 2nd on the low UNLOADED... Much less with a sled behind...

Eh well... Guess I'm just gonna keep playin' with it.

Got some more goodies on the way anyway... Biggest hold up right now is waiting on a turbo.

Quote:

Old 07-18-2010, 03:06 AM   #31
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convicted1 View Post
Seems to me like his truck never shifts to 3rd... Maybe at the end of the one hook... But it fell right back off and went to second again. At least thats what it sounded like to me...

HOW though does he aquire that much ground speed!? I don't think my truck would move that quick in 2nd on the low UNLOADED... Much less with a sled behind...

Eh well... Guess I'm just gonna keep playin' with it.

Got some more goodies on the way anyway... Biggest hold up right now is waiting on a turbo.
Wes always ran 3rd locked up. What you hear at the end is the converter unlocking. Sometimes its hard to even tell when the transmissions shift, if you have a fairly loose converter and are in 4LO.

As far as the video of your pull...
It sounds like to me that it jumps right through 3rd gear into over drive. I notice in your signature that your truck is an 05. For some dumb reason the 2005s do not come with the option to lock out overdrive, which of course is what you want to do when pulling. On all other trucks with the exception of the 2005 models, you have both a tow/haul feature and a OD lockout function. It has been my experience with my 47RE that if you just lock the converter manually with a switch, it will quickly shift up through the gears. Before I permanently disabled my overdrive, a couple of times I forgot to turn the overdrive off before I pulled. My transmission would stay in 3rd or "Drive" only for a second before shifting to overdrive, where it would kill out.

My advice is to first figure out a way to disable the OD. There are a couple of options that I know of. Dodge has a TSB out that will allow you to be able to lock out overdrive. Unfortunately, you will lose your tow/haul feature as it will be replaced with OD lockout. Here is a link that explains it in more detail.
TSB 21-006-07 The other option involves purchasing a module from BD Diesel which can be found here BD Power - Product: LockOut Overdrive Disable

After you are for sure able to lockout overdrive I would suggest that you start your pull out with the selector in "2". Spool up as normal and let it eat. Eventhough the selector is in 2nd, your transmission should start in 1st (unless you have a manual VB). Once the turbo spools the truck should quickly run through first gear and shift to 2nd. About as soon as the transmission hits 2nd gear, flip your switch to lock your converter. Once the RPMs climb to an acceptable level, go ahead and manually shift the selector into "D" (be careful not to go to far and put it in neutral A ratchet shifter would be a good investment). Your transmission should shift to 3rd with the converter locked. Since you have OD locked out, it should stay in 3rd until you unlock the converter. If you can, let the truck spin out in 3rd with the converter locked. However if its going to pull the RPMs down low enough to snuff the charger, go ahead and unlock the converter and keep the hammer down until you stop moving. This has been a tried and true method for me. Granted I have a 12valve and a 47RE, I think the same process should work well for you also.

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Last edited by BluegrassDiesel; 07-18-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 AM   #32
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convicted1 View Post
No... He wasn't trying to cheat.

Just taking advantage of the situation.

The problem was this...

None of the different flyers or the newspaper agreed on what the rules for the class were.

The flyer said No Bars, Blocks, Hanging Weight.

Newspaper said Stock Turbo, No Bars, Blocks, Hanging Weight.

So in the end they just said screw it and let anybody that wanted to hook the class.

First place paid $400... So I guess the guys saw an easy oportunity to pick up some cash and took it.

Sadly... I don't think the Open class paid that much!

Again... They were just takin' advantage of a situation.

I mean it's kinda crappy to take the pot from the people who the class was truly designed for... But if they are gonna let you hook, hook.

1st) Leonard Bradshaw
2nd) Brad Hodler (Maroon VP Truck)
3rd) Brad Hodler (Black Duramax) This may have been legit... But knowin' Brad I'd bet the truck has a Cheetah turbo on it. Either way... He used the truck to pull the Maroon one in on the gooseneck. I'm good with it running the stock class.

I can post vids of all those pulls if ya'll would like as well.

Scriv usually runs a pretty good sled... I'd say last night was no exception. They left the sled heavy because they knew Brad and Leonard were gonna hook their 2.8 trucks in the class.

Couldn't let them get out into the street with it obviously.

That track last night was weird as heck too... I've never seen the Tipton track with that much bite.

Hodlers Dmax out pulled the maroon truck in the stock class.
The black dmax was like 314, he had redline problems with the maroon truck in the stock. The maroon truck took 3rd in the open.

I think the big money was in the open class.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #33
smokingoat04

Name: smokingoat04
Title: Not real sure
Member`s Gallery
Hodlers maroon truck is no pushover. As far as your run, just clamp the wastegate hose with some vicegrips, and probably stay in 2nd lock up. It should clean the fuel up a little more than that if rail pressure is good. I do agree that it went to o/d also.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #34
cumminsman315

Name: cumminsman315
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Hodlers Dmax out pulled the maroon truck in the stock class.
The black dmax was like 314, he had redline problems with the maroon truck in the stock. The maroon truck took 3rd in the open.

I think the big money was in the open class.
black truck was 314, and yea the maroon in stock wasnt running 100% right,,, was he running low tune in stock? is was like no smoke then in open is was smokin alot better

you need to update your truck pic, it looks a lot better with duals

Last edited by cumminsman315; 07-18-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #35
MissouriHooker

Name: MissouriHooker
Title: Hookin is best
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
Wes always ran 3rd locked up. What you hear at the end is the converter unlocking. Sometimes its hard to even tell when the transmissions shift, if you have a fairly loose converter and are in 4LO.

As far as the video of your pull...
It sounds like to me that it jumps right through 3rd gear into over drive. I notice in your signature that your truck is an 05. For some dumb reason the 2005s do not come with the option to lock out overdrive, which of course is what you want to do when pulling. On all other trucks with the exception of the 2005 models, you have both a tow/haul feature and a OD lockout function. It has been my experience with my 47RE that if you just lock the converter manually with a switch, it will quickly shift up through the gears. Before I permanently disabled my overdrive, a couple of times I forgot to turn the overdrive off before I pulled. My transmission would stay in 3rd or "Drive" only for a second before shifting to overdrive, where it would kill out.

My advice is to first figure out a way to disable the OD. There are a couple of options that I know of. Dodge has a TSB out that will allow you to be able to lock out overdrive. Unfortunately, you will lose your tow/haul feature as it will be replaced with OD lockout. Here is a link that explains it in more detail.
TSB 21-006-07 The other option involves purchasing a module from BD Diesel which can be found here BD Power - Product: LockOut Overdrive Disable

After you are for sure able to lockout overdrive I would suggest that you start your pull out with the selector in "2". Spool up as normal and let it eat. Eventhough the selector is in 2nd, your transmission should start in 1st (unless you have a manual VB). Once the turbo spools the truck should quickly run through first gear and shift to 2nd. About as soon as the transmission hits 2nd gear, flip your switch to lock your converter. Once the RPMs climb to an acceptable level, go ahead and manually shift the selector into "D" (be careful not to go to far and put it in neutral A ratchet shifter would be a good investment). Your transmission should shift to 3rd with the converter locked. Since you have OD locked out, it should stay in 3rd until you unlock the converter. If you can, let the truck spin out in 3rd with the converter locked. However if its going to pull the RPMs down low enough to snuff the charger, go ahead and unlock the converter and keep the hammer down until you stop moving. This has been a tried and true method for me. Granted I have a 12valve and a 47RE, I think the same process should work well for you also.
David, watching your vid, i agree with everything josh said! plus give your truck a little more boost and add a drive pressure gauge to your setup, tune it right, i think you have the fuel and tuning to get you down the track. a bigger charger would help also. give me a few weeks here and ill have my turd back together! ill try and meet you at a few of these pulls and try to help out! call me if you need anything

Old 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #36
cumminsman315

Member`s Gallery
in the open class the sled adjusted weights to hit full weight just past half track

hodler dmax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssI-ILtUb0

hodler maroon-stock class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0pqwgKVXx4

hodler maroon-open class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4ZbStuueU

Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #37
2001cummins

Name: 2001cummins
Title: Costly
Member`s Gallery
Hodler's truck looked bbetter in the open class. must have done something.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #38
MissouriHooker

Name: MissouriHooker
Title: Hookin is best
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsman315 View Post
in the open class the sled adjusted weights to hit full weight just past half track

hodler dmax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssI-ILtUb0

hodler maroon-stock class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0pqwgKVXx4

hodler maroon-open class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-4ZbStuueU
Huge smoke difference from stock class to open. If i know Hodler im sure it was a good opportunity to try out a new program or something, he was probably using it for a test hook.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #39
Kman9090

Member`s Gallery
His redline was OFF! Open it was on

Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #40
cumminsman315