Gear Swap

RockinRam96

My dad has a 98 automatic trans with 4.11 gear ratio. Looking to swap to 3.55 or 3.73. Does the carrier need to be swapped, as well? Not sure where the cutoff is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Forgot to mention it is a 4x4. Checked today and it only has a Dana 70 in it. I know where there is a Dana 80 with 3.55s and disc brakes. Maybe what I go with.

When I swapped my 1997 dana 80 4:10's out for 3:54's the ABS light came on.The 3:73 and down carrier had moved the ABS tone/exciter ring over far enough that the ABS sensor would not pickup at low speeds.The position of the sensor must be different on the 3:54 axle housing.

Also I had to change the speedo gear out in the transfer case to get the speedo/odo to read correctly.

With yours being a 98 you might have the speedo/odo/abs all running from that axle sensor If I'm thinking correctly ? If that's true then an axle swap is a must.

When I swapped my 1997 dana 80 4:10's out for 3:54's the ABS light came on.The 3:73 and down carrier had moved the ABS tone/exciter ring over far enough that the ABS sensor would not pickup at low speeds.The position of the sensor must be different on the 3:54 axle housing.

Also I had to change the speedo gear out in the transfer case to get the speedo/odo to read correctly.

With yours being a 98 you might have the speedo/odo/abs all running from that axle sensor If I'm thinking correctly ? If that's true then an axle swap is a must.

It is a 98 with a 12 valve if that makes a difference.

Back