Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion!
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! Tool and Shop Discussion!

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
Inline transmission filter for after rebuild

I haven't tried one yet but I was curious if any of you have used a clear filter or if they even make one. If I get a (dodges) trans with bunch of debris in the pan I mention to the owner that they should replace the exchanger and cooler. Typically I fire up the truck and run the return line into a clean bucket until the fluid coming out is clean. I guess more crap can come out after the first few heat cycles.

I always have them come back after a few hundred miles for a new filter, band adjustment , vb adjustments.

Is it even worth trying to run a temporary inline filter on the return line ?

Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Yotadzl

Name: Yotadzl
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
BD offers an external spin on filter kit with their transmissions. I like the idea of an external filter. I've never seen a clear inline filter used however.

'85 Yota Crawler-2l diesel, custom built VE (by me), custom T25 turbo. Slow but fun!
'95 Cummins grampa truck, embarrassingly stock
'12 Cummins, deleted

Old 03-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
G Tec

I worked at a trans shop before. You're wasting your time unless you get a hot flushing machine. The pulse and heat will get almost any cooler clean, even if there is metal in it, it was very rare that we had to replace a cooler, heat exchanger, radiator because of debris. Since the dodges have drain back valves, a lot of the time we would disconnect them so we could alternate the cooler flow and get all the trash out.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleann View Post
G Tec

I worked at a trans shop before. You're wasting your time unless you get a hot flushing machine. The pulse and heat will get almost any cooler clean, even if there is metal in it, it was very rare that we had to replace a cooler, heat exchanger, radiator because of debris. Since the dodges have drain back valves, a lot of the time we would disconnect them so we could alternate the cooler flow and get all the trash out.
Wasting my time if I used a spin on filter ? That flush machine sounds like the tool to use.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMITTY View Post
Wasting my time if I used a spin on filter ? That flush machine sounds like the tool to use.
Running a temporary filter will be a waste of time. Adding a spin on filter will keep old debris from the cooler(s) out, but you're just adding restriction. If you plan on doing a number of transmissions, I would invest into a hot flushing machine or you could probably even build one. It's really the right/only way to go IMO.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
I only planned on building a couple but I'm up to 16 now.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
JWhite

Name: JWhite
Title: Trained monkey
Member`s Gallery
x2 on a hot flush machine. Without getting the cooler hot and with some backflow, you're pissing in the wind.

For my personal trans, it was more worth it to just replace the heat exchanger.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
I'll look into getting one. I also need to figure out a better way to clean the cases and the guys. I pressure wash and scrub the cases and use 10-12 cans of brakleen on a single rebuild. I use rubber gloves but I'm getting sick of the smell. I've tried a few other types of aerosol cleaner but none work as well as the red brakleen. Acetone worked well also for removing the black crud from vb passages and anywhere else there's buildup that I can't reach with my brush.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #9
04.5ROHLING

Name: 04.5ROHLING
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
I own a HOT FLUSH machine and they flat out work they clean the system very well but it cost $5600 for the 10 gallon machine. I also have a ranger 750 spray cabinet that I wash all my parts in. During my building process.

CHRIS I meet one of your customers the other day from TN. Mr Holt I think you was finishing his trans up. I bought some cly heads from him they didn’t even know my shop even existed lol but we stay 3 weeks backed up so I can’t complain.

Last edited by 04.5ROHLING; 03-25-2018 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Closed Thread