Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #701
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Compilation of the last run and what happened after. Believe it or not but the engine was still running after the big bang. Looks like the only damage is the engine block and one cam journal.

Tomorrow I hope to test the strength of some engine material. I got a vice of 100Ton and I hope this will give me the numbers needed to come to a conclusion on how it happened.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #702
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Now that I'm looking more into the programming side I understand what you were saying. Detroits don't truly run speed density, there's no temperature compensation for the intake air. So if you wanted to target a specific AFR you will be always richer when it's hotter and leaner when it's cooler. Not a huge deal on a diesel, but when you're trying to max out BSFC all across the range it doesn't work so well. Also I have to find a way to run absolute MAP for VNT control instead of relative. I think tricking the BARO sensor (not map sensor) to be 0 might work. There's no VE map either like many speed density systems so any change in engine breathing efficiency and you have to write an entire new program.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #703
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
@ allan5oh. Intake temp and air mass correction. Well most OE did not care about this up to euro 6 even. Yes power reduction will kick in when getting to hot but this got noting to do with emission just prevent engine damage. We are not paying with petrol engines I hope needing this more for air mass correction on intake temp.

Small update. We striped the V8 all down as you can see in the picture. Damage if we where the build the same engine only the engine block and one camshaft but we need to make changes do reduce stress on the engine deck so we have an idée how to do this but we need to make some drawings in order to get the dimensions on things.
Also tested the head bolts and studs. Always nice to a 100Ton press.
Also the new to build engine block is in for inspection. Had the idée to do some measurements on the old engine that went boom bust the amount of force just mangle things in place you would not suspect so what will this tell you?

The new build engine will be PD or pump injector fuel system simply we do know it works very well so we got less to worry about so we can concentrate in full on the engine it self.
Having to dial in a commonrail fuel system that’s able to build massive combustion pressure in a moment notice as you can burn diesel @ the same rate a petrol with a lot more power but due to this things on timing will get a load more critical so maybe have to dyno this commonrail engine @ lower load and get a fuel model this way that we can work from in a safe way. We are working on a 9000Nm 1500Kw engine dyno for a customer so maybe we can test both in the process.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:25 PM   #704
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
I can use some help with finding a clutch. We need something better and stronger and I had a look @ clutch when I was over in Canada used on CAT C18 for truckpulling. I think it was a 2 or 3 plate version with a OE style pressure plate and the plates had a big diameter as well. For now we use a molinari clutch.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #705
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
This is the Le Dakar in all it’s glory. Simply nature doing it’s thing as ugly as it could be sometimes with mud slides and all this year.

Dakarspeed - Dakar 2017 on Vimeo

Today I did the evaluation of the Scania A Rally engine. I must say most of the engine parts did hold up very well but the thermal stress on some parts are over the limit so some need to be replaced and some need to be upgraded.
Fuel system need some changes as well. Better filtering as for poor fuel quality and some parts need to be changes and upgraded as well to avoid vapour build-up in the fuel system.
As for power output we going to stay on the same level as the B engine that has different pistons and camshaft. Simply pulling more power from this engine under these rally conditions will create more problems and as for torque it got plenty pulling a semi truck uphill that’s 1000Kg to heavy compared to others and able to go down 1500Kg before we hit min weight limit in class so I think there is where the performance improvement will be.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #706
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
How hot can it get with commonrail? Well very hot as you can see but no real indication how this has happened as this engine had been turned off several times while running full load just a second before and not been able to start-up as it was laying on it’s side and all.
Did it do any damage? No not really, bearing structure seems to be OK but we changed to a different type of piston with more skirt surface as for getting better heat transfer to the cylinder liner and these pistons look a bit more like conventional alloy piston but are all steel as well. Question is can you still run alloy pistons on these last generation commonrail fuel systems? I think it will get more critical as for getting good heat transfer from to piton or they will melt.

Also looking into converting CAT C engines to commonrail but problems is on most semi trucks there is not a lot of room on the back of the engine to put some hi pressure fuel pumps on the engine PTO drive as for not having to cut into the fire wall. In Europe we mostly run cab over or even when it’s a bonneted truck the cab could be the same as from a cab over so we got plenty of space to build something on the engine PTO so a clean install without any drive belts is not going to be easy on a semi truck in US or Canada I think?
Old 08-19-2017, 04:12 AM   #707
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
I have been asked to develop a RPM governor system by one of my local customers building fuelpump for truck & tractor pulling so I’m working on getting the first electronic activator on a P7000 series fuelpump and hope to get some feedback on this from the forum if there is any interest on this and maybe take it to PRI this or next year as well.

I worked on power generation for over 21 years so I know governor systems very well from WoodWard EPG PSG GAC Gendec you name it. When I started my company in 2009 it was all EFI or electronic fuel injection that can do it all but still a load out there trust the BOSCH and Sigma pumps and what ever is out there on new home build billet pumps to give them there performance but as for having total control on the fuel rack is close to non for most.
Having control on the fuel going into the engine will make it easier to spool up RPM and turbochargers and this can be based on boost pressure and engine temp for example.
Also using and engine management system you can take it all the way including wastegate control based on boost Hi/Low and turbo RPM………. Same goes for nitrous and water injection as we got plenty of injector and Aux outputs to handle this even in sync with the engine if needed. Also we have a load of channels varying from pressure/temp to even GPS speed that’s we can use for internal data logging or an external data logger like Racepack or many other brands as well.

So please leave me some feedback on what you think should work best or not?

Last edited by tall boy; 08-19-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #708
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Today on the menu testing a Iveco Cursor 9 Commonrail diesel engine Case FTP engine.
Euro 6 variant goes to 400Hp. Not bad.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 AM   #709
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Ny Titan Volvo Semi ruck pulling 1e place 't Heer Abtskerke. One pulling event still and only have to place the truck in front of the pulling sled and hook it and it will be 3e time in a row that this Volvo truck wins the championship but the competition is getting sronger.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #710
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Sold this team a S300SX turbo more than a year ago and the only upgrade we did is install 360 trust bearing kit on the turbo and now they can cal them self European champion. They call these mini tractors compact puller. It’s not a garden puller as some think and it runs a 2.1L VW TDI engine

Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #711
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Champion 2017 Sport Class Semi Truck Pulling Volvo van Dijk Ny Titan.

Although this is the third time in a row that this team has become a champion, they certainly did not get it as a gift. Already a year ago, it was clear that more power and torque had to come from the standard 750Pk Volvo engine and we consult with the team about the possibilities.

You can only win a championship if you can perform consistently and the difference between winning and losing is often in the details, every little step is one step towards victory. Modifing the injectors for more fuel. Changing from a BorgWarner S500SX to a S500SX-E turbo, just a little more air and efficiency, which means that it can hold just a few more RPM despite the fact that this engine is getting is air from a 74mm inlet hole of the inlet retricktor. Software in the Adaptronic Diesel engine management has been changed step by step and the data logs will tell you if we improved on things.

Like the previous year, we are already busy the year 2018, who knows a new Euro6 engine, who knows more power and torque, less smoke. First tests have already been done.

End of video, champagne and team members of Volvo van Dijk remains a dangerous combination het get out of the way.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #712
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Volvo D13K Euro 6 engine commonrail.

Today I done one of the latest generation Volvo engines from the D9 to the D16 the software has been written and tested. We can put these Euro6 engines on the list.

Did have a better look @ this D13K engine, six other injectors and a camshaft and you can make a D13K a beast of a racing engine regarding the fuelsystem.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #713
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Always nice to get this in your mailbox. If you know how to tune a skyline and with a bit of tricks and tips from my side he was able to get a strong tune on the Adaptronic ECM running this CAT C18. also big plans for next year sorting out hardware for the next engine build for this team.

We have finished your race season with a 2nd place this weekend

Old 09-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #714
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Is Adaptronic building their own ECM for a Cat motor or are they just tuning the Caterpillar ECM?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #715
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
Is Adaptronic building their own ECM for a Cat motor or are they just tuning the Caterpillar ECM?
Yes we are building our own ECM in house for motor sport use or engine testing. C15 or C18 makes no difference to me. No limit no license need for tuning it all day long if you want. Dos date log and has boost control turbo speed sensor options and the list goes on.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #716
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Friday morning in the small hours using internet to take over the Adaptronic ECM in the US for a pulling team having the first engine start setting fuel and timing to what we think will come close on what is used on the tuned CAT OE ECM. Set this C18 CAT up to run 3800Rpm. Do you want better idle. No we like it this way. OK.

Friday evening back online taking over Adaptronic ECM to get the idle RPM down a bit. Customer request. 3 min later done that and comment on the other side it never run that smooth. Me, yes told you so. .

Today comment after the pull from yesterday.
Killed the clutch. Making more power, need more timing and fuel.

Still find it an odd idea running this C18 engine @ this hi RPM OK C15 or C15 stroke and C18 bore OK done that before. Lest call it a new experience. Maybe next year have to go to Bowling Green as some of my team members went this year and get to know more how things are done.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #717
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Some pictures of yesterday testing. Al do the new engine is build with only OE parts we manage to give it more power by simply optimising the fuelpump control now able to run it on target pressure and this makes a big difference dropping the EGT even 50 degrees C.
Hope we can do some heat load testing as this Rally truck going back to the Le Dakar Rally next year and it will be very hot so hoping the cooling system can hold max engine power.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #718
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
I can use some help with finding a clutch. We need something better and stronger and I had a look @ clutch when I was over in Canada used on CAT C18 for truckpulling. I think it was a 2 or 3 plate version with a OE style pressure plate and the plates had a big diameter as well. For now we use a molinari clutch.
Talk to these guys:

Clutch Kits, Clutch Repair, and Clutch Service
Old 09-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #719
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes we are building our own ECM in house for motor sport use or engine testing. C15 or C18 makes no difference to me. No limit no license need for tuning it all day long if you want. Dos date log and has boost control turbo speed sensor options and the list goes on.
Is this a plug and play ECM with the factory Cat wiring harness, or does the Adaptronic ECM require an Adaptronic wiring harness?

Quote:
Friday morning in the small hours using internet to take over the Adaptronic ECM in the US for a pulling team having the first engine start setting fuel and timing to what we think will come close on what is used on the tuned CAT OE ECM. Set this C18 CAT up to run 3800Rpm. Do you want better idle. No we like it this way. OK.

Friday evening back online taking over Adaptronic ECM to get the idle RPM down a bit. Customer request. 3 min later done that and comment on the other side it never run that smooth. Me, yes told you so. .

Today comment after the pull from yesterday.
Killed the clutch. Making more power, need more timing and fuel.

Still find it an odd idea running this C18 engine @ this hi RPM OK C15 or C15 stroke and C18 bore OK done that before. Lest call it a new experience. Maybe next year have to go to Bowling Green as some of my team members went this year and get to know more how things are done.
Probably never let the Cat (pun intended) out of the bag as to whose truck this is, would ya? I'm wondering if I know. There is one team that seems to be laying the hammer on all of the other Big Rigs with a single charger electronic Cat.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #720
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Is this a plug and play ECM with the factory Cat wiring harness, or does the Adaptronic ECM require an Adaptronic wiring harness?
No it’s not plug and play. I was hoping to find and extension wire loom as on some engines the ECM is @ a remote location as not on the engine but could not find if it exist for CAT C series engines al do ask our local dealer but no reply.
Other option is to make a complete wire loom, but this is expensive to make one.
Most popular for now is our ECU with a 0,5 meter wire loom and I think most customers hard wire it to there CAT wire loom. We also sent a 150PSI manifold pressure sensor with the ECU as most that run there engine for pulling will run from 80 to 120 PSI boost pressure.

Quote:
Probably never let the Cat (pun intended) out of the bag as to whose truck this is, would ya? I'm wondering if I know. There is one team that seems to be laying the hammer on all of the other Big Rigs with a single charger electronic Cat.
I think they run a big single but not going to confirm this. . Most US customers like to stay below the radar. Europe on this part is a different story but I’m getting use to it by now.
But yes not having a open thing on who is using what means we need one YouTube and it all over in your face on what we are doing and the e-mail box explodes on orders. This week 3 ECU. One for New Zeeland C12 with twins truck racing max 3 second of smoke as we can have non in Europe. And other two for US truck pulling C18 or C15 with twins on them all want way over 3K RPM. No problem us one ECM setting.