Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #11601
atvracn08

Name: atvracn08
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Cool story, get your facts straight with the guy from Colorado bragging about the same truck on FB and saying it has a 100mm turbo on it.
It had a 98mm on for the Missouri pull. Not the big iron classic or any other pull it's been in
Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #11602
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Or are both you guys blowing smoke which is what I'm more likely to believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2730.jpg (145.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #11603
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
So for that pull where you are bragging about it beating a truck with a set of PDI twins in it, the truck did have the big turbo on it, again I rest my case, you weren't talking about big iron classic in that post.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #11604
atvracn08

Member`s Gallery
Truck has a 98 mm turbo on it. Only for one pull. It would have one with the 83mm also. Sorry the pdi compounds aren't that great. Not sure what to say to make you happy. Just our experience. I'm done talking about this. Go ahead and disagree, that's fine. The pdi truck couldn't get 3000 rpms either so maybe that would have helped them.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #11605
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
They serve a purpose for working truck, saying they aren't that good because they don't compete with a truck with a 3.9" turbo doesn't prove anything when the big turbo in the twin set is 86mm, maybe when jfaulkners engine is done his twin set will be mow comaprative, but then again his truck is going to be set up to work with big power.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:35 PM   #11606
atvracn08

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
They serve a purpose for working truck, saying they aren't that good because they don't compete with a truck with a 3.9" turbo doesn't prove anything when the big turbo in the twin set is 86mm, maybe when jfaulkners engine is done his twin set will be mow comaprative, but then again his truck is going to be set up to work with big power.
Cool dude. Like I said I'm done talking about this.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #11607
hotfarm1066

Name: hotfarm1066
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Had a big cam go down on us, so had to haul it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161023_125938485_HDR.jpg (320.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2016, 03:29 PM   #11608
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfarm1066 View Post
Had a big cam go down on us, so had to haul it in.
What happened to it?
Old 10-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #11609
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvracn08 View Post
Cool dude. Like I said I'm done talking about this.
Have fun. Your comparisons are about like me comparing my big cam to anybodies big cam that is still working one of them. Does it run better, yes, should it run better with 3 times the fuel and larger turbo, yes. I'm not proving anything.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #11610
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
"Diesel Freak" lmao. Smoke switches for everyone. That truck have a 6' gear shifter and a 8 ball spinner knob too?
Old 10-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #11611
hotfarm1066

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What happened to it?
Not sure haven't had time to tear into it. One cylinder is dead, I think number four it is colder than the others. Only thing that scares me it has a BAD vibration so I hope the crank isnt broke.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #11612
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Not sure haven't had time to tear into it. One cylinder is dead, I think number four it is colder than the others. Only thing that scares me it has a BAD vibration so I hope the crank isnt broke.
That would be very unusual, I'd start with pulling that injector and having a look at it.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #11613
hotfarm1066

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
That would be very unusual, I'd start with pulling that injector and having a look at it.
Ya that is the plan I'm hoping it is just in the top end injector or valve train problem. I don't think it is a burnt piston or broke crank as it has no blow by. Just the vibration confuses me never had one do that.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #11614
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Ya that is the plan I'm hoping it is just in the top end injector or valve train problem. I don't think it is a burnt piston or broke crank as it has no blow by. Just the vibration confuses me never had one do that.
Injectors can do a lot, before my truck warms up it shakes so bad from dead cylinder I can't hold my phone still setting in the seat to record a video.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #11615
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Lolololololol that white truck had zero competition at Joplin so bragging on that pull is a phucking joke!
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO
Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #11616
atvracn08

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
"Diesel Freak" lmao. Smoke switches for everyone. That truck have a 6' gear shifter and a 8 ball spinner knob too?
7', a pistol grip shifter and a cowboy hat holder
Old 10-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #11617
Mr.T

Name: Mr.T
Title: DPF's are gay
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't let diesel freak oil the chain on my bicycle

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #11618
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

My small cam vibrated pretty good and shook the whole truck before we found out there wasn't an injector lobe on the camshaft for two of the cylinders.

New cam and you could put your coffee on the valve covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #11619
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
I don't suppose anybody on here would have an 03ish 379 cab and 36 or 48" bunk laying around?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 12:20 AM   #11620
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
97rada I agree with faulkner 100%. I hope you do not take any of that personal.

J faulkner is on par with the engines IMO. I have to say we agree on everything. Except the MX13. We have little experience with modified or deleted ones though so that may be why.

ISX is a flaming pile of chit. You can put lipstick on a pig and spend piles of cash trying to make it pretty but at the end of the day you shouldn't have to spend piles of money on something just to keep it on the road whether that is "bulletproofing" something or in the shop when it breaks. When I say the ISX has bankrupted people I am not exaggerating. It has quite literally bankrupted people. I wouldn't touch one with 500k+ on it no matter the price. It isn't the emissions that suck the most. They are the most annoying part of an ISX but the hard parts are what kill guys. At 400k miles they start to have a few problems, the emissions start to really go on the fritz, they spend a pile of money to get back on the road and then a couple years later they have been in an out of the shop so many times they cannot afford to off the truck. Then one day their cam bearing take a chit or it throws a rod. Suddenly their $20k truck is an $80k truck with a rod on the ground given all of the shop bills they accrue over the years. We deal with these guys daily.

MX13 is a piece of trash in stock form. No idea what they can do deleted or tuned. Same holset trash turbo found on the ISX. 200k miles turbos at best with a price tag of $5000 + actuator from most Paccar dealers.

Detroit 14L are a decent engine with some inexpensive tweaks but they are at least manageable in stock form. The gta45 turbo is a bit on the squirrely side but they aren't quite as bad as the holset VGT units. Obviously a tune and a borg replacement and these engines are decent. The newest detroit stuff is laughable at best. Comparable to a maxxforce in dependability. Really.

Maxxforce I cannot even believe people can keep on the road anymore. We generally will not sell parts for these. They have been more of a problem child than they are worth. "Hey so I bought a valve cover gasket from you and now I have rods laying on I65. Think maybe the gasket was a bad one?"

CAT. Leave them alone and they are manageable. Everybody wants to blame the compound turbos but we all know they are morons. At 600k miles you will likely need turbos, yes. Put stock ones back on with new bellows and gaskets and move on. If you feel the need to modify then know what you are getting into. High compression acert stuff isn't likely to be happy with a big fat tune and some 20% overs in it pulling it down to 1000rpm in the hills driving it like a C model. A single turbo won't fix it.

Don't worry, I take nothing personally. It's nothing I have control over. And honestly. What causes bearing failure and rods to sling out of the block? How about cam failure? The turbos and after treatment is easy to fix properly if it's cleaned and maintained properly with cleanings ever 200k and new dozers ect. Or delete them and put a real turbo on them. Lube pumps are cheap, cams are cheaper before they completely go. Rod and mains can be rolled for less then 1000 bucks. All those problems
Are oil related. I am not saying the engine isn't ****. I am saying people don't help it out with 35k+ oil changes and running then with 1000 check engine lights ect. Help the engine last and it will. If you catch a cam going bad I can swap a cam cheap. Inspections like that are needed on these engines.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.