Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
High Cotton

Name: High Cotton
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Looks good, I have thought about running the mud drags. It's hard to beat the sneaky guys with the 383's and other tricks. Have you thought about finding a set of HD GM aluminum wheels. I can't remember the backspace but they are 16x6's.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
NakeDiesel

Name: NakeDiesel
Title: Smoke'n in the Mud
Member`s Gallery
Well, got the adapter plate and flex plate last night, here they are:

Click the image to open in full size.
Untitled by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Right now I'm focused on getting the truck running, tuned and ready for the first race, I'm not as worried about weight this year, next year will be focused on reducing weight on the truck, by rebodying it, etc...

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Last edited by NakeDiesel; 03-10-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #23
1lowdiesel

Name: 1lowdiesel
Member`s Gallery
holy giant pics batman!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Guess I picked the orig size code for that one

Thanks to my sponsors: CP-Carrillo, Air Dog, Muldoons Diesel Performance, Power Driven Diesel, Diesel Performance Converters

Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Very nice! Scott makes awesome parts!
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I'm very interested in seeing how well the TH400 holds up.

By the way, roughly how much do you have in the new transmission setup (adapter, flexplate, converter, and transmission)?

Awesome build so far.
OEM 12v Block

Old 03-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #27
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
The Trans was around 2700.00 for it and the torque converter, this included billet shafts, drums, reverse manual valve body, trans brake and all the other goodies and a 13" converter. Adapter, flexplate and starter were around 1500 I think. I still spent less than I would have on parts for the 47RE and I would have had to still rebuild it.

Got my turbo, adapter, gauges, wiring/relays things in last night, here's the new turbo:

Just finished ordering poly mounts for the engine, transmission and transfer case.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #28
ENafziger

Name: ENafziger
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Wow is that stack GAY. You must like dick all night. Jesu christ your a flaming homosexual.
Are you related to the original Charles who used to post here? I kindof liked his rough, uncut, witty bashing...but he could do it in a lot less blasphemous way :\

Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #29
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Not much of an update from the weekend, spent it planting trees, blackberries, raspberries, grapes and some veggies in the garden that can be planted this early.

I did get the tack mounted, gauge holders mounted, figured out that I need to pick up a piece of alum sheet to fill in where the radio was to mount the switches, figured out the lines and things I will need for boost gauge/wastegate, oil pressure sender, fuel pressure gauge and cleaned all the wiring and interior components out of the truck that I'd piled in it taking things apart.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket steering wheel that will fit the column?

Ordered my last load of stuff from Summit for the lines, picking up wire, connectors and solder tonight so I can start getting the interior wiring done. I mounted the power disconnect at the back of the truck, waiting on the battery holder to get in to start building battery cables.

The trans still hasn't shipped, talked to the shop friday, and the place they get the billet drums and input shafts from hardened the drums before drilling the oil holes and can't get them drilled, so they are having to make a new batch, will hopefully have the trans friday.

That's about it, waiting on the shipping gods to bring the pieces holding up the project.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #30
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Had a few packages come in today, received my airdog 150 and all it's parts, billet freeze plugs and the poly trans mount. I ordered the trans mount and the motor mounts from the same place, but they are arriving a day apart, go figure. I put the freeze plugs in tonight and found that the back plug is going to cause some issues with the adapter plate, so I'll need to modify the adapter plate a little to make it fit.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #31
DieselWrencher

Name: DieselWrencher
Title: 6cyl Vette
Member`s Gallery
Looking good!
1972 K30 Longhorn P-Pumped 24v 47RH Compounds

Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #32
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
The package fairy has been good to me, I now have poly mounts for engine, trans and transfercase, two of the many fittings I ordered from summit, Battery box from Artec Industries as well. More shipments to arrive today. I put the final freeze plugs into the engine last night as well as painted a few more parts. I also started making the filler panel where the radio goes to fit my switch panel into the truck. I should finish that up tonight.

I've been calling machine shops all morning trying to find one that can take 10 minutes to mill the notch out of the adapter plate I need because of the rear billet freeze plug, they are all saying it will be next week before they can get me in, waiting on a call from one more place and if they aren't interested in doing it today or tomorrow, I'll just do it with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel.

Hoping to get the 47re and transfer case out this weekend and the engine installed into the engine bay. I'm still a week out on getting the transmission from the builder due to a billet input shaft issue he's having with his machine shop.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #33
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Just another update, got more packages last night, now have all of the -4 AN lines, fittings and adapters to run the gauges and boost reference lines. Also recieved the banjo bolt from Tork Teknology, will see how well that works for holding pressure at the pump.

I finally found a machine shop that could get the adapter plate machined, so I was able to install it last night, then I found that the ford 6.0 starter won't fit. It's hitting on the wings on the block, so after all the trash talk I've heard about fordcummins adapter plates and having to grind on the block to fit the starter, you have to do the exact same thing with destroked's adapter as well. Not a happy camper with that.

Here are some pics of the adapter plate installed

I'm planning on working most of the weekend on the truck unless something comes up, so I'm hoping to get the trans, transfercase and drive shafts out of the truck, hoping the front billet cover and a few other parts come in today and will hopefully get the engine stabbed back into the truck and I can start on wiring up the engine and buttoning up the engine compartment while I wait on the trans to get here next week.

Nake

Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Updates from the weekend:

Had the trans adapter milled to fit over the rear billet freeze plug:

installed the front billet cover and dampner:

IMG_0774 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Ground the block to fit the ford 6.0 starter:

IMG_0775 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

IMG_0776 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Bent and Cut the injector fuel return line and installed it:

IMG_0777 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

IMG_0778 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Mounted Gauges, Tach and switch panel to dash and started wiring it.

IMG_0780 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Mounted the battery box and drilled the holes for the battery cables:

IMG_0781 by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Also cleaned up the motor mounts and started installing the poly bushings for them.

Hopefully the trans will be finished today and shipped out.

Tonight I've got to change the oil in the Avalanche, and mount my new 235x85x16 BFG KM2's on my 99 Dodge, going to try balance beads with it and see how I like them.

NakeDiesel

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #35
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Update on the truck:

Managed to get the engine fully together this weekend, and it's ready to put in the truck if my trans ever gets here. Latest update on the trans is that it will ship out tomorrow, the input shaft is supposed to arrive at the trans shop today, where they will install it and test out the trans before crating it up.

I ran into an issue getting my tok tech banjo bolt for the fuel return line in with the tube intake manifold, so I ended up having to disassemble a few things to take the intake off and get the fuel return line plumbed. It's a very close fit with the banjo in place. I have the fuel lines and return lines now done on the engine side and ready to go. All I like putting on the engine is the exhaust manifold, turbo and wiring it up. I'm picking up my transfer case this weekend and will hopefully get the truck in the shop and start putting it back together.

Here are some pics:

Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #36
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Here's the update from the weekend of wrenching.

I got the th400 in from Cali friday and picked it up at fedex freight. Saturday morning I went and picked up the np205 that I'm going to use, I'm ordering new 1410 yokes for it today and a rebuild kit, and well as tracking down a shifter for it. It came complete with the mounting supports and the section of frame it was attached too, need to figure out how I'm going to mount it in the truck. We rolled the truck into the shop and pulled the old 47re and 241dld transfer case out of the truck and made a small lake of burnt tranny fluid in the process.

We bolted the trans to the engine and then dad and I wrestled with it for a while till we got it in. I made a minor modification to the firewall to get the engine to clear. Then began the fun of running all new wires to everything. I've got all of the wires run in the engine compartment now and into the cab, throttle assembly hooked up, vaccum and power steering pumps installed, 2/0 battery cables ran from the back to the front, and the disconnect switch hooked up. I have the wires for all the gauges setup as well.

I need to pick up some wiring loom and some more electrical connectors tonight. I rigged up a remote solenoid on the firewall to trigger the starter with and need to convert the 12 volt power down to 5 volts for the crank/tach sensor.

Here are some picks from the weekend's work.

Trans arriving
Click the image to open in full size.Untitled by NakeDiesel, on Flickr

Slipping the engine/trans into the truck

Finally in

Starting to hook things in

Wiring on Drivers Side

Wiring on Passenger Side

Wiring in the Cab

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #37
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Just wanted to post some updates:

I had a minor snafu with the transfer case I was going to get, turned out to be a Dana 24 instead of an NP205. I managed to track one down for a decent price yesterday after calling about 40 or 50 salvages it seams like. I get there to get it and it's locked up. Took the cover off and it's nice and rusted up. I ended up picking it up for 50.00 from the guy instead of the 300 he wanted. I dumped 2 quarts of ATF into it and let it slosh around the rest of the day in the back of the truck. Took a sledge to it last night and have it fully freed up now and turning like it should. I'll put the rebuild kit in it tonight with new bearings, seals and gaskets.

My 1410 yokes should be here today, once I get the transfer case rebuilt, I'll be ready to build the mounts for it. Hoping to get that done this weekend so I can order my driveshafts monday morning.

I have the wiring pretty much done on the truck, I still need to make my 12v to 5v converter for the tach sensor, hook up two sensor wires to the switches, run the wires to the fan and fuel pump in the back of the truck, and wire in the trans brake.

For the engine, I need to weld the pipe to the turbo adapter for the wastegate, and weld it to the wastegate flange, need to get a 2" to 1.5" reducer in stainless to make it work. Once that's done, just bolt up everything on that side and it's complete. I get the pipe tonight for the other side of the intercooler plumbing, need to fab it up this weekend as well to get it setup.

I need to pickup a yoke for the TH400 this week, everything will be 1410 u-joints except for the trans yoke, can only get 1350's for it.

I built a stand for my fuel cell this weekend, raising it up 8" so I could mount the Airdog inlets below the sump level. I used the hole in the bed I had the sump sitting in the have room for the filters hanging down. This will keep most of the mud off of the pump, if time permits, I'll probably cut out a cover to fill in the rest of the hole so it will reduce most of the mud coming up from there.

Once we have the transfercase mounted, I need to build a spacer for the TH400 between it's mount on the trans and the factory dodge auto crossmember, we were going to build one, but we decided this would be easier and work well with driveshaft angles. I can also then finish running the fuel lines and wiring once the welding is done underneth the truck.

I still need to add fluids and finish hooking up the radiator and then it will be ready to start.

I'll try to post up some pictures from the progress so far tonight when I get home since I can't acces flickr from work.

It's going to be down to the wire getting this thing finished for the first race. May have to take a day or two off for some more shop time.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #38
Smoke

Name: Smoke
Title: VP Puller Playin Catch-Up
Member`s Gallery
Hope you get it done in time. Looks like a nice build for sure.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #39
NakeDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Front of truck is back together

Trans cooler mounted

Fuel cell and pump mounted

Back of truck*

More wiring*

Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #40
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
If I were you, I'd build a little sheet metal hood over the tranny cooler. Just enough to keep vertical falling mud from building up on top of the cooler and fan.

Everything looks great so far, cool build!
OEM 12v Block

Closed Thread