Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
02Dmax

Name: 02Dmax
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Cummins ISC hard to start, dies after 2 seconds

Like the title says, I'm working on an ISC with issues. Its in a Case fertilizer spreader machine. The machine has done this several times before but this is the first time I've been the one called to work on it. I replaced the ICV modulator and the transient suppressor as per Cummins troubleshooting steps and what the dealer told me to do, and it fixed it for about 2 hours, then it went right back to hard starting then dying. I installed new batteries and cleaned all connections, Fuel pressure is right where it should be while cranking and picks up immediately once the machine fires. Lift pump is running and pressure is good.

Anybody have any ideas? Cummins says put an injection pump on it ($4k), customer says try everything else first. lol

'78 International Service Truck with DT466. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
1-5-3-6-2-4

Name: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Title: Low-Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
I don't know specifics in the engine or machine, but make sure if its got a pump drive and hydraulic pumps behind it, that the pumps are not staying loaded up. Ive run into that once before. Engines just won't flash up if theres an immediate load on.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB Lariate 37" Toyos Ppump 24v
'94 Dodge 2500 2wd RCLB 12v auto
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 - soon LS3 stroked and forged

Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
02Dmax

Member`s Gallery
thats easy enough to test, its got a hyd pump mounted where the powersteering pump would normally be, I'll slide it out and then try it.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
1-5-3-6-2-4

Name: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Title: Low-Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
Mmmm just a small one then. I was sort of referring to a pump drive on the back of the engine with large pumps. Like an excavator. I had a power unit one time no start because the hydraulic pump in the closed loop failed the swash plate. The immediate load of the hydrostatic drive would not allow the engine to stay running at startup.

But if you have a transmission behind the engine, that's not likely the issue.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB Lariate 37" Toyos Ppump 24v
'94 Dodge 2500 2wd RCLB 12v auto
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 - soon LS3 stroked and forged

Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
02Dmax

Member`s Gallery
ahhh, gotcha. Its got an Allison auto behind it with one pump mounted to the PTO flange but I'll check it just in case. I did find out you can replace just part of the CAPS injection pump so I'm leaning toward an accumulator. Thanks.

Closed Thread