Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Injectables; Water, Meth, Nitrous, Ect.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
1SlowFormula

Name: 1SlowFormula
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
new to water/meth, mix questions

OK guys,

I am new to wather/meth and will be getting everything on Thursday, if UPS gets here by a decent time. I already have 9 gallons of distilled water, but I was hoping to run close to a 50/50 mix, maybe 60/40 (water/meth), but not sure how much meth to add. I was told to just add a couple bottles off heet (still not sure if I should use Yellow or Red, I think yellow) per gallon of water, but that doesn't add up since they are 12 fl. oz. bottles and ther are 128 fl. oz in a gallon that would be less than 30% meth if they contained 100% meth, which they don't. So it looks like I need about 5-7 bottles of heet per gallon of water to get between 40-50% meth. Does this sound about right?

Now on to some more newbe questions:
I was also told that you can run denatured alcohol (ethanol) instead of Meth because they have similar temp and burn chracteristics and have similar octane ratings. So has anyone actually done this? Denatured alcohol for marine/camp stoves and such are cheeper then heet, and just as easy to find, but I don't want to blow anything up. Has anyone used this?

Any issues with mixing meth sources? For example, if I throw a bottle of -20 winshield washer solution (roughly 30ish % meth) mixed with a couple bottles of heet, are there any issues of doing that?

Does water and meth (or any other alcohol) seperate over time? so if the truck is sitting for a few days/weeks with 5 gallons of water/meth, should you mix it up before it gets used because it seperated and the alcohol is how on top/bottom and will get sucked down first/last messing up the mixture going to the motor, does that type of thing happen?

Thanks
2007 2500 SLT, QC, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, G56 6spd w/SBC DD clutch, 6" lift on 37's, Smarty, AFE stg 2 CAI, CFM+, Labonte DIS-S4, Exergy +40% injectors, II BoP, AirDog II 165, and Amsoil BMK-25 and all fuilds.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
bftrain

Name: bftrain
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I have been running -20 peak from walmart for years. Works great and at $4.00 a gallon for methanol I can't mix it any cheaper.

Yellow heet is methanol red is isopropyl. There is no separation of alcohol and water. Unless you build a still. If you really want to mix your own you should go to a bulk/race fuel supplier and get methanol in a pail or a drum. I would recommend pails because methanol is hygroscopic and starts pulling moisture from the air every time it is exposed.

I have never heard or looked into using ethanol instead of methanol. So I would go with they are similar, but there must be a reason it is not being done main stream. I would figure the reason out before I went any farther with that idea.

If you are going to be towing I would use only water while doing so otherwise the EGT's just run hotter.
04 2500HD Sierra LBCC, LB7/Allison, water injection,pre and post turbo pyrometers, exaxt steering upgrade, 110 gallon reserve tank, oil bypass centrifuge, b&w hide'a'ball, home skool fab front cow pusher and high efficiency filter and lift pump.

Closed Thread