Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #15141
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
What does a teacher telling you anything have **** to do with?

I mentioned that the 450° turbo outlet Temps was consistent with my training, (and experience, but you don't know **** about that either) and you start harping on cat techs and their training, schooling, edjumacation. It makes no *******ed sense really, other than that you have a bug up your ass about caterpillar as a business and anyone that says that remotely negates your thoughts.
I didn't actually negate your claims that the cooler isn't needed, or that it raises coolant Temps, but you are so ****ing overwhelmed by your own version of the "real world" that you ignored both of those points.

You have issues, and like I said, they don't include me or what I do, or whom for.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
You really are locked inside that dealership bubble aren’t you, you use your training as verification that we are disposed to take your word as gold.

You said give the precooler it’s own circuit, ever wonder why that wasn’t done on 855 and 3406 engines when they had air to water coolers? It’s because of reliability, electric pumps are no where near reliable enough to risk and engine for while out on the road, what happens when a pump fails?

The biggest most productive thing a shop can do for a truck driver is to make their chit reliable so they don’t have down time, that isn’t the dealer way, andthe reason I have issues with dealers and their parts changers.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #15142
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I never pushed my word as gold though, unlike what yourself of Faulkner tend to do. I asked a question seeking a civil response, and it was met with fanatical responses, and made a suggestion. The two of you can't bring yourselves to remove the thought of who my employer is, as if we are all brainwashed when we hit the door.

Again, your experiences with dealers have nothing to do with me or the service I perform for my customers.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #15143
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I never pushed my word as gold though, unlike what yourself of Faulkner tend to do. I asked a question seeking a civil response, and it was met with fanatical responses, and made a suggestion. The two of you can't bring yourselves to remove the thought of who my employer is, as if we are all brainwashed when we hit the door.

Again, your experiences with dealers have nothing to do with me or the service I perform for my customers.

So when you get an SDP in the door you don’t just change parts and put parts back on it that will fail in the exact same way, or do you do what’s right and tell them to go somewhere that can fix it properly to make it reliable?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #15144
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
SDP is bridge?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #15145
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Bet that’s a close race, prolly 2 cartons of camel non filtered laying in the bunk.
And empty packs folded and stuck behind panels to stop rattles.

Quote:

Back up a second, the question was asked about something I’ve actually done. So unlike you with all your “training” I can actually speak from experience. That’s where I take issue and why I’m calling you out.

And I agree, most aren’t brainwashed when they hit the door. Just the ones fresh out of school eager to drink the Kool-Aid. And I’m not singling out Cat shop shills, Cummins is full of them too. “Red motors are awesome......”. Just pulled this red peach out, Cat going back in. If we take the head off it will fall apart. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #15146
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
SDP is bridge?

2011+ with DPF. Horrible aftertreatment system, strong runners tuned. If your lucky you can get an oil change between ARD burner head replacements.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:42 PM   #15147
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
Yes

You might be the guy to ask, any idea what this trailer is for? Friend sent me the pic, about 30+ft long and only 4’ wide. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #15148
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Member`s Gallery
You mean 2008+?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #15149
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
SDP is bridge?
SDP is last C15 offered by cat, the only C15 offered with a DPF, and it’s reliabilty because of parts related to that emission setup is horrible.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #15150
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
You might be the guy to ask, any idea what this trailer is for? Friend sent me the pic, about 30+ft long and only 4’ wide. Click the image to open in full size.

Hauling pipe? That’s a guess...

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing
Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #15151
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
And empty packs folded and stuck behind panels to stop rattles.

Back up a second, the question was asked about something I’ve actually done. So unlike you with all your “training” I can actually speak from experience. That’s where I take issue and why I’m calling you out.

And I agree, most aren’t brainwashed when they hit the door. Just the ones fresh out of school eager to drink the Kool-Aid. And I’m not singling out Cat shop shills, Cummins is full of them too. “Red motors are awesome......”. Just pulled this red peach out, Cat going back in. If we take the head off it will fall apart. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
With your experience, who manufactured the best OTR engine and why?
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 01-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #15152
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You mean 2008+?

And it isnt just cat, there are multiple brands out there that would be decent engines and would have a much different track record then they do now because of emissions related failures.

My father in law has a 2011 ISX that would not run in the super cold winter months in the 2 years before he had it deleted it would set through January and February, that down time doesnt include the $12K he had put into it during those years for only emissions related failures, including a replaced cracked DPF.

Once deleted the emission failures disappeared and the mileage came up and the truck became reliable.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #15153
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalMafia View Post
With your experience, who manufactured the best OTR engine and why?
Cat builds a good mechanically sound engine with the 3406 base structure, I would have liked to see them actually update the fuel system once in the life of the electronic version of the engine, bosch based HPCR would have been nice to see like was used on the Navistar version of the C15.

Other changes that date back to the inception of the 3406 that could have been carried over from the 1693 were things like the 2 3/8" exhasut manifold studs per cylinder when the 1693 use 3 1/2" studs per cylinder, and then going away from the dual overhead cam of that engine when it was way ahead of its time.

The B/C model fuel pump is ridiculously over built, but from a performance and repair standpoint it is awful unless you have deep pockets, a pump cam for example is more money than an engine cam and it isnt over a foot and a half long, a bosch setup like mack used would have been much easier to service and less money in the long run.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 PM   #15154
chevota84

Name: chevota84
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
a bosch setup like mack used would have been much easier to service and less money in the long run.
And flowed more fuel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 11:55 PM   #15155
SmokinCAT

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
And flowed more fuel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes, from the performance standpoint this is correct, seeing people give $3600 for a set of aftermarket 13mm barrels and plungers drives that home even more.

People wonder why I built a big cam, and that is why, getting the amount of fuel I have was relatively cheap compared to a B or even an electronic.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #15156
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
I think you would be surprised by the answer to that.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #15157
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You mean 2008+?

You are correct, I was messing with this red pos and went brain dead.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #15158
jfaulkner

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes, from the performance standpoint this is correct, seeing people give $3600 for a set of aftermarket 13mm barrels and plungers drives that home even more.
Now who would be that stupid? I didn't pay nearly that much for my plasma cutter and it will probably do the same damage.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #15159
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Cat builds a good mechanically sound engine with the 3406 base structure, I would have liked to see them actually update the fuel system once in the life of the electronic version of the engine, bosch based HPCR would have been nice to see like was used on the Navistar version of the C15.

Other changes that date back to the inception of the 3406 that could have been carried over from the 1693 were things like the 2 3/8" exhasut manifold studs per cylinder when the 1693 use 3 1/2" studs per cylinder, and then going away from the dual overhead cam of that engine when it was way ahead of its time.

The B/C model fuel pump is ridiculously over built, but from a performance and repair standpoint it is awful unless you have deep pockets, a pump cam for example is more money than an engine cam and it isnt over a foot and a half long, a bosch setup like mack used would have been much easier to service and less money in the long run.
This is my opinion, but it looks like there is pressure at the corporate level to phase out components for non emissions engines.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 AM   #15160
biggy238

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I think you would be surprised by the answer to that.

Quote didn't work. This was in response to keeping ARD engines alive.

-Little Sexy
Insta @trash.panda250