Input Shaft nv241 vs nv271

Ghostman

24v crazy
Wondering if anyone has ever tried this? I have a nv271 behind a 47RH. The input on the nv271 is very short and does not seal well with the 47RH. The 47RH needs a long input shaft on the t-case to seal up well. Wondering if anyone knows if the input shafts will swap between the nv271 and nv241? This would make life simplier so I could swap the longer input from the nv241 into the nv271 and the seal would actually hold. Obviously I'm talking 23 spline.

Does the NV271 not have a weep hole/slot in the bottom of it? I'd rather see when a seal gets blown out so I know where my tranny fluid went when it slips because it's low...

Plus pulling the tcase will be a lot cleaner since you won't have a big splash of fluid when you separate tcase from the tranny.

Last edited:
There is no weep hole on the nv271. I can't remember on the 47RH though. Here is a picture of the mating surface and also a picture of a nv241 and planet and a nv271 and planet. They look very much the same. I'm thinking they may swap. I might just go ahead and do it since I have to pull it again anyways.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397579540.306149.jpg
Nv241:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397579560.886551.jpg
Nv271:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397579590.341982.jpg

Maybe it would just require a bearing swap or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are not, the planet from the 241 is different, it will not interchange, maybe you could aquire a long speedy sleeve to press on to the 271 and extend the seal surface

they are not, the planet from the 241 is different, it will not interchange, maybe you could aquire a long speedy sleeve to press on to the 271 and extend the seal surface

Ok, one more idea before i just "right stuff" it. What if I were to swap the 241 input, planet, and ring gear? I have all three.

unless its a dld, I would just put it in, and call it a day (from what I've read, the 241 input is the weakest part of a 241 anyways)

At that point why not sell the 271 and put the 241 in?

I was almost considering this also. I think the 241 clocks almost flat also. But I do really like the fixed output flange on the ford t-case.

unless its a dld, I would just put it in, and call it a day (from what I've read, the 241 input is the weakest part of a 241 anyways)

I know there are about 4 different 241 inputs, I'm not sure which one it is. Well I got nothing else better to do this week so I got some experimenting to do. I'll update to exactly what I find out.

Drill and tap the output shaft and bolt a slip yoke on the 241 for a fixed yoke. It's a cheap/homemade SYE from the Jeep world.

Drill and tap the output shaft and bolt a slip yoke on the 241 for a fixed yoke. It's a cheap/homemade SYE from the Jeep world.

Lol. Actually seen that today on the internet, it's pretty clever really. Except I think I would turn down the splines on the shaft and thread for a nut. That seems better to me.

Well if you want to get fancy with it... :D

But that's definately the way to go about it if you were to go that route.

Back