Slightly Overworked hitch breaks in Shelbyville

looked tame...they need more runoff or a smoother berm....made alotta drama out of what was essentially..pull it backwards and lets go

It appears the 2nd hitch didn't work very well.. Wonder how it was tied in? At least the air shit worked, that's alot of weight to stop in a short distance for sure, with assuming only front brakes..

It appears the 2nd hitch didn't work very well.. Wonder how it was tied in? At least the air shit worked, that's alot of weight to stop in a short distance for sure, with assuming only front brakes..

From what I understand the safety hook came unhooked. The second hook point was still attached to the truck from what I was told.

looked tame...they need more runoff or a smoother berm....made alotta drama out of what was essentially..pull it backwards and lets go

Well, they did put a berm of dirt there to stop them.....then parked a bunch of shit behind it. Had that trailer and crap not been there, they would have just went over the berm and not torn anything up. Am I wrong?

Well, they did put a berm of dirt there to stop them.....then parked a bunch of shit behind it. Had that trailer and crap not been there, they would have just went over the berm and not torn anything up. Am I wrong?
Supposed to be a sand pile, that they drive "into" and get stopped, not a hard packed dirt ramp.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I've watched a lot of pulls from right behind or on that pile before. It actually used to be taller and they didn't have that trailer parked there last time I was there. Thank God they had the dumbass spectators like me outta that area!

Wow! If they can't design or build a better hitch, they should at least add some brakes before they kill someone. I can't think a pinion brake on both drive shafts would add that much weight.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Frustration.jpg
    Frustration.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
We run a dual caliper off the Dropbox plus the front brakes. needless to say, it stops better than a factory vehicle
Added 18 lbs

Also supposed to be a second "safety" hitch for this exact senerio. What's the excuse for that failing twice as well? Honestly I don't think the organization should let that truck hook again until both hitches are redesigned, inspected by a third party, and brakes added to the truck. It's a very obvious safety issue at this point.

The "Secondary Hitch" never made since to me. They're always made lighter than the main hitch and if it ever gets "used", it'll get ripped off when the slack gets out of the second chain. Just BS in my opinion (Bad Science)...

I’d like to see pictures of what it looks like when it breaks
I’ve built a lot of hitches and either he’s using really thin material or has a 110v welder ?*♂️

The "Secondary Hitch" never made since to me. They're always made lighter than the main hitch and if it ever gets "used", it'll get ripped off when the slack gets out of the second chain. Just BS in my opinion (Bad Science)...

Guys do treat Saftey hitches like jokes
Then again unfortunately because trucks are only “going” 20 MPH saftey isn’t a concern like it is in drag racing.
This is said by a guy still using the factory seat and restraint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d like to see pictures of what it looks like when it breaks

I’ve built a lot of hitches and either he’s using really thin material or has a 110v welder ?*♂️
I don't even give him an "out" with a 110v welder. My brother-in-law and I have used his 110v Lincoln 140 to build piles of stuff over the last 10+yrs, and have never had any sort of failure. Just realize what you're doing, use proper weld prep, and make multiple passes to get enough weld on it. Welders are not hard people to find, and far too many people need to swallow some pride and have someone who knows what they're doing melt it together.

Back