welding

yfzrunner

hey guys i got my exhaust going out in front of my rear wheel on m 96 dodge 12v srw. I was wondering would it be ok to weld a exhaust hangar to my pipe from the cross member or would that be a bad idea let me know thanks. I know tey say never weld frames.

to late the exhaust shop did it. It sucks but you think anything was weakend by this just one 2 inch weld on crossmember that the gas tank is on.

I've welded the **** out of my frame. Just unhook battery and keep welder ground close to what you're welding. I'm not guaranteeing you won't have bad luck though LOL

I've welded the **** out of my frame. Just unhook battery and keep welder ground close to what you're welding. I'm not guaranteeing you won't have bad luck though LOL

Seen someone forget to unhook the battery when welding :doh:... Bad juju for him and all this electronics

This is what im talking about you. You think any damage happened it did get red hot. But just a small weld.

Untitled.jpg

Seen someone forget to unhook the battery when welding :doh:... Bad juju for him and all this electronics

I usually don't unless I'm welding on the front end. If I'm welding on the rear I just place the ground between me and the front of the truck as close as possible to where I'm working. I'm getting older and smarter now though, and disconnect most of the time LOL

Your fine with that weld and I don't think it makes any difference to your truck if you don't dissconnect your batteries as my skid unit is not seperated from my truck and I weld on it quite often and have had no bad experiences with electronics from doing that.

Do you enter your truck I'n monster jam competition often? If you tend to hit the 100 footer of the 6 school buses, you may want to rip your truck down and build a tube chassis.

He did something else wrong then. Welding on a frame with the batteries connected usually won't ruin modules. I do it all the time on our brand new test trucks. We have spent tens of thousands of dollars on testing and actually the batteries act more like a capacitor. The only way to be totally safe is to disconnect every module. Other then that just keep your ground strap really close, and if possible just tack the pieces on the truck and finish weld somewhere else(bumpers, light bars, etc). Tool trucks usually sell a capacitor with alligator clips that you hook on you battery. They work pretty good too.

He did something else wrong then. Welding on a frame with the batteries connected usually won't ruin modules. I do it all the time on our brand new test trucks. We have spent tens of thousands of dollars on testing and actually the batteries act more like a capacitor. The only way to be totally safe is to disconnect every module. Other then that just keep your ground strap really close, and if possible just tack the pieces on the truck and finish weld somewhere else(bumpers, light bars, etc). Tool trucks usually sell a capacitor with alligator clips that you hook on you battery. They work pretty good too.

I am unsure exactly what he did wrong all he was doing was cutting and re-welding a backyard attempt at a frame repair. He asked me to come over to test the electric side when he couldn't get the truck to fire and almost everything was fried and needed to be replaced including the batteries (he wouldn't admit to anything when I asked him wtf happened)

He might of had the polarity reversed since our welder has switch for that and 1 guy from Albania uses it that way now that I am thinking about it

Frequency is your enemy here. I've done welding on over a thousand cars/trucks. The only ones that had the battery removed were done because it was in my way, to date I have cooked 1 radio in a Toyota Camry, no other damage.

But that is using a DC mig box, never ever TIG on a vehicle. Another shop had a welding service use a tig on an Audi A8 (aluminum car), that cost the shop 8k in computers.

That makes sense because of the high frequenzy that alum. tig needs. Never tried tigging on my truck, it's normally an indoor thing.

Back